Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2001, 03:45 AM   #1  

Hey all-

I am having trouble comming up with ideas on some low fat ways of packing my lunch for school. I am a college student who commutes and would like to start bringing my lunches to school because of the cost of eatting food there and also because of the lack of low fat choices. I do not want to have to bring raw veggies everyday like I have been doing so any ideas will be great

Thanks
Bonaofthepink
Old 01-13-2001, 11:57 PM   #2  

Can you buy a carton of fat free milk. I like cereal for lunch with dried cranberries or even a banana. If you want fiber the Kashi Go Lean cereal is great and very filling. Go to www.kashi.com and click on their location code and put in your zip code to see where their products are sold in your area. The Kashi Go Lean bars are wonderful and very filling. They are big. My favorite is the Choc Peanut Butter. Drink lots of water with them and you will be full. Do you have a Trader Joes near you www.traderjoes.com and the location site, to see if they are in your area. You must have a microwave available, what about soup, TV Dinner, or any thing you can warm up. You can bring cup a soup that you just add hot water or make your own fat free veggie soup at home and bring to warm up. Bring it in a microwaveable container to heat. Cottage cheese and fruit, jello cups, pudding cups, bring a turkey sandwich or purchase one. You can buy low fat microwave pop corn and pop for a snack. In a microwave you could even fix a baked potato, Bocoburger (a very good soy product), Gardenburger, there is a very good already cooked chicken patty put out by Tyson in the frozen section. Called Mesquite Grilled Chicken. You just warm in the microwave. Or you could bring a salad and have strips of the chicken patty on top of the salad.
If you don't have a refrigerator available buy one of those frozen packs that you freeze and they will keep your food cold.

------------------

Ann P
Old 01-24-2001, 11:16 PM   #3  
TCW

Hello
lunch is aways hard for me this is one that I do. Take a soft taco shell and spread 1 tsp low fat cream cheese (I us the flavored ones) and put low fat or fat free turkey in the middle, slice some tomatos and a little letuce. You have a healthy wrap that feels like your eating something special.
Good luck
Tina
Old 01-25-2001, 02:52 AM   #4  

Do you like peanut butter? If you do, here's one of my favorite lunches: Two slices of Oroweat Country Light Potato Bread (only 1 point for BOTH slices!), a T. of peanut butter (2 points), covered with 1/2 sliced banana (1 point). Total for sandwich = 4 points. Enjoy!
Old 01-25-2001, 09:18 PM   #5  
WW since 4/00

For lunch this week I've been packing a Best Kosher 97% fat free hot dog on a Roman Meal bun & baked Kettle Crisp potato chips & a tossed salad. I also pack an apple, Sargento light string cheese & a couple of clementines for snacks.

Hillshire Farms makes a great low fat ham for sandwiches. You could also try baking a bunch of chicken breasts. Wrap them individually in aluminum foil, seasoned in your favorite fashion & bake for about 20 minutes. Use in salads or sandwiches.
Old 02-07-2001, 01:58 AM   #6  

Oscar myer fat free bologna with Veggi Slices cheese and lettuce and tomato on 12 grain bread or in a wrap is delicious. Veggi Slices come in several flavors and taste great.
Old 02-09-2001, 04:50 AM   #7  

Lunchtime Treats:
I like to vary my lunches or I get really bored. I like food that travels too. I munch different varieties of fresh veggies; like celery, cuke strips, green pepper strips, edamame (fresh soybeans), & I drink a V8 every day. For crunch I like melbas or pretzels, and a yogurt. I too like my Go Lean & crans.

I like to take 1/2 a large whole wheat pita and make a veggie or tuna pocket with sprouts, veggie cheese, lettuce, tomato, lt mayo, sliced pickles (no meat).

Don't forget your fruit!
Old 02-13-2001, 04:11 AM   #8  
Number 1 Hockey Fan

I just made myself a low fat, low point lunch just with extras I had lying around the house. Very filling and very yummy!

Here it is:

1 ff tortilla
1/2 cup brown (or white) rice ( once rice is cooked I add a little garlic, salt and pepper and I drop (from an eye dropper) of olive oil. Gives the rice a FABULOUS flavour.
veggies of your choice (I use red peppers, green onions, bean sprouts for the crunchiness, mushrooms and salsa)
Cheese if you want
Salsa

Cook the rice and put into tortilla. Add the veggies (and cheese if using) Roll up, top with salsa, Heat in microwave for about 2 minutes.

I figure it works out to 3 points without the cheese.

Very filling and full of flavour

Garbanzo

[This message has been edited by Garbanzo Bean (edited 02-12-2001).]
Old 10-20-2002, 10:59 AM   #9  

I am in university and I bring those instant soups and cut up veggies. Or I bring a bagel and fruit.
Fruits are good - very portable.

Sandwiches are great too. Also, I used to take individual containers on yogurt and a baggie of cereal with dried fruit. Delicious.
Good luck

pm if you need a college buddy
Old 10-20-2002, 08:35 PM   #10  
Body-for-Lifer

It's probably not that healthy, but I bring a small packet of Tang Orange Juice, Shaved BBQ Turkey + Fat Free Cheese + Light Mayo Sandwich, and some Sun Chips. The Sun Chips probably overkill the rest of the healthy stuff... I need to find a better alternative...
Closed Thread