Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-05-2006, 01:38 PM   #16  
LLV

Yes, the lemon or lime juice helps it from turning brown. Also, another little avocado trick, if you cut one in half but only plan to use half of it, leaving the pit in the half you're not using keeps it from turning brown as well. I mean, they'll all turn brown eventually... but leaving the pit in slows the discoloration.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:50 PM   #17  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Yeah, you can leave half an avocado with the pit in it in the fringe for about one day, but avocados are best eaten when perfectly ripe and freshly opened. I never thought I liked avocados much till I moved here, but this is avocado central. Can’t beat the quality when you get to buy direct from the grower. There’s such a variety and when they’re in season I can usually get Hass and Fuerte for $.75 - $1 each, not bad. OK, I’m off to the farmers market to get avocados for guac and ingredients for the corn chowder. Viva Cinco de Mayo!

My guac recipe: 2 avos, couple tablespoons of lemon or lime juice, 2 chopped garlic cloves, about half a diced onion, diced tomato if you like, splash of salsa, salt, pepper, green Tabasco or any hot sauce you like to taste. Mash it up, enjoy! Tastes even better after a couple hours chilling in the fridge.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:20 AM   #18  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

Sounds yummy Shananigans!!! Thanks!!! I might just have to make that this weekend!!! I'm dying for some mexican food!!!!!! Up here in Canada we don't do Cinco de Mayo! Sadness!!!!
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:08 PM   #19  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

I had a yummy avocado dish yesterday at a birthday party in a swanky restaurant in Portland. It was basically avocado & mango cubes tossed in a little dressing (probably lime based) topped with fresh crab meat. This was put in a timbale (mold) and turned out on the plate like a little tower. The plate was drizzled with a little more tangy sauce and it was served with a small side salad.

It was a delicious lunch, without too many calories. I even had some calories left for a small slice of birthday cake!

I might have a go at making this some time. We have such great dungeness crab here in the northwest (a bit pricey though). We used to take our son crabbing at the coast and bring them home but it stinks the house out to cook them!
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:07 PM   #20  
Hoping for Healthy

You're right, penpal. Avocado is delicious with seafood... I like to cube avocado to eat with shrimp cocktails. I've got to get around to trying avocado with tuna.
teatree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:09 PM   #21  

i love the big seed in the middle of the fruit...
i mean, it's so smooth and nice!
i ever wondered if i can plant it and grow up something from it...
anyone did it before?
pavellina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #22  

I've had them sprout, but I have always lived in too cold a climate to plant them!!!!

Pavellina I expect a full grown avocado tree by the time I come to visit Italy!!! And we can sit in the sun and eat avocados with your best balsamic vinegar!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:30 PM   #23  

mhm!
tasty idea!
you just planted it in a vase?
Old 05-08-2006, 12:39 PM   #24  

I put it in a glass jar with some water, then once it is sprouted you could put it in a tub or straight in the ground......we'll probably be old ladies by the time it's mature enough to give us an avocado, but at least we will be thin old ladies
Old 05-08-2006, 01:19 PM   #25  

next time i'll buy an avocado i'll try!
Old 05-09-2006, 01:22 PM   #26  
Hoping for Healthy

Oooh, I want to try too! Just drop in some water, you said?
teatree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:00 PM   #27  

When I did it, I put it on top of a jar big enough to hold it, but not big enough for it to go all the way in, like an egg cup with an egg in it, and some water in the jar!

Good luck, and in twenty years, we'll have to do the 3FC Thin Old Lady Avocado Tour
Old 05-11-2006, 07:37 AM   #28  

twenty years?
uhm...i think i must rush to the supermarket or i'll never see one
Old 05-14-2006, 10:27 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 212/155/140

Height: 5'7"

I saw a guac recipe somewhere recently that was half avocado and half mashed edamame, otherwise the same. So, cuts the fat of the avocado and get all that great protein and fiber from the soybeans. Edamame are pretty mild, so I'd guess it's good.

cheers,
Sue
suechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:09 AM   #30  
Movin on down the scale

I grew up eating them fresh, we had avacodo trees, now I just miss them sometimes....I happened to get some the other day at the store, I ate the last one for a snack last night...I cut it up into bite sized pieces and cut up a half a tomato then salt/pepper and a tsp of italian dressing, mixed it and enjoyed!!! YUMMY, I could eat them every day. They are also good over omlets!
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote