3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   5 Alarm Chili (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/80039-5-alarm-chili.html)

Charles78 03-27-2006 01:02 PM

5 Alarm Chili

Here is the list of ingredients:
1 pound lean ground beef.
2 white onions
2 green bell pepper
4 celery stalks
3 tbls of chili powder
2 tsp of red cayenne pepper
2 cloves garlic
1 can of stewed tomatoes
1 can french onion soup
1 6 oz can of tomato paste
1 tbls paprika
1/4 cup Jalapenos with some of the juice
2 cans of dark red kidney beans
3 cans of water
2 tbls Splenda

I added no salt as the chili powder has salt as well as some of the other ingredients. I took the 1 pound of extra lean ground beef (94% lean) and browned it. At the same time, I took my 5 qt pot and put some hot water on to boil. Once the ground beef was done, I put it in the colander and poured the hot water over it to remove even more of the fat. I then set the ground beef aside.

I put the onions, bell pepper, celery, garlic, and jalapenos into the food processor and cut them up med. fine. I then added the stewed tomatoes and hit them on pulse - I wanted the body of tomatoes but not really chunks.

I then cooked those down. Once they were ready, I added the ground beef and all of the other ingredients. I let the whole thing slow cook for about 3 hours covered until it got to the correct consistency. I cooked this is a 5 qt pot, but it would work in a slow cooker even better. It made 7 servings. As it cooked I added about 1 1/2 cups of water to keep the consistancy where I wanted it.

I have become a big fan of Pico as well as fat free sour cream. Now that may make the chili purest have a heart attack :)

The calorie and fat count do not reflect the reduction due to "washing" the ground beef. I just take that as a bonus.

This chili is HOT - use with caution. :)

http://www.myfooddiary.com/member_up...0327124841.JPG

newfiedarling 03-27-2006 01:28 PM

I just love chili and the hotter the better - thanks for the recipe Charles. I'm gonna give it a try some time this week!

~Dee

LynneA 03-27-2006 02:14 PM

That sounds really nice, I have chilli planned as my weekend meal and am going to give this a try :).

Charles78 03-27-2006 02:39 PM

Thanks. :) This is my first try at Chili. If you improve the recipe - be sure to let me know what you did so I can try it. I am really getting into this healthy cooking.

penpal 03-27-2006 03:30 PM

Sounds like a great recipe. I love chilli and it's "thermogenic" so it helps burn more calories!

just_a_dreamy1 03-27-2006 08:41 PM

charles - is your name really charles? *lol* that stopped me for a minute...

that sounds good! do you know how much one serving would be (about)?

Charles78 03-27-2006 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by just_a_dreamy1
charles - is your name really charles? *lol* that stopped me for a minute...

that sounds good! do you know how much one serving would be (about)?

Yea Charles is my real name - I know how imaginative of me with my screen name. :)

When I was putting it into containers, it worked out to about 2 1/4 of those big ladles each. Someone told me those were about a cup each. I would guess right at 2 cups for 290 calories. It is a good size portion that is for sure - really filling. I had it again for lunch today. I hope you like it if you try it.

Mummy_Tummy 03-28-2006 10:05 AM

WOW, Charles! I came in here to read about your chili recipe and got hung up on the amount of weight you've already lost! That is so wonderful! You are truly an inspiration! Can't wait to follow the link in your sig and read about how you've been doing it.

hefty1 03-29-2006 03:41 PM

i love chili. i'd make you reciepe minus the sugar and water. i'll use jalipenos peppers. glen

Cafe Ole 03-29-2006 03:53 PM

I might substitute the burger for venison :)

Check you out! Way to go Charles, awesome job!!!

LynneA 04-03-2006 10:23 AM

Hi :).

Robert, I made this chilli over the weekend and it was very good! I particularly liked processing the veggies before putting them in, I found this gave a really nice thick consistency. The only changes I made was that I didn't add the splenda and left out 3/4 cup of water (I like my chili really thick). It made 7 good sized servings of about 1.5 cups per serving.

Marshro - if you do make this with venison please let me know how it turns out! I've got half a deer sitting in my freezer right now!!

newfiedarling 04-03-2006 11:52 AM

I tried this on the weekend too. I also didn't use the splenda and I added some tobasco and habenero peppers for extra kick. Very good!!

~Dee

Cafe Ole 04-03-2006 01:26 PM

I tried it last Sunday actually! It's a keeper -- we used venison - very yummy!

Charles78 04-03-2006 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfiedarling
I tried this on the weekend too. I also didn't use the splenda and I added some tobasco and habenero peppers for extra kick. Very good!!

~Dee

ohhhhh hgabenero peppers... now that is going in my next batch. :D