3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Oven Chips (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/77109-oven-chips.html)

AmmiUK 02-23-2006 06:09 PM

Oven Chips

Hi,

Does anybody have a low WW point, or just a low fat way of using potatoes to make oven chips. I hate using the frozen variety, so any recipes for healthy alternative oven chips will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ammi :dizzy:

northernbelle 02-23-2006 07:05 PM

I quite often cut up a potato, and a sweet potato, and shake the slices in balsamic vinegar, then bake. Or shake in balsamic vinegar and a few bread crumbs.

The slices can be shook in olive oil, if you need to get your fat count in.

One nice way is to lay the sweet potato slices on the pan and place a drizzle of low-sugar maple-flavoured syrup on each slice. Then bake.

AmmiUK 02-23-2006 07:45 PM

Thank you Mary and Northernbelle. I will try both ways of cooking the chips, Mary - does that spray oil leave a horrible taste, or are the chips still yummy?

Hugs,

Ammi

kykaree 02-24-2006 12:07 PM

I do chips like Mary, but use olive oil spray. I bought a cheap olive oil spray can at TKMaxx and fill it up with olive oil myself. It's great, you need to still try and estimate how much oil you are using.

You can also dip the chips in egg white before cooking, but I have had less success doing that, but that is suggested by Oprah Winfrey's chef in her book I think it was called "cooking with rosie"

nicnacmd7 02-24-2006 02:05 PM

Quote:

You can also dip the chips in egg white before cooking, but I have had less success doing that, but that is suggested by Oprah Winfrey's chef in her book I think it was called "cooking with rosie"
Yeah that is the name of her book, but i never get a good result with the egg white either, i get baked egg whites on the side!!!!lmao
Anyway, great suggestions on here , thnx.........i cook with olive oil all the time, spray and all!!! I hvae never had any after taste on any of my cooking with the sprays!!

Misti in Seattle 02-25-2006 02:40 AM

I also use butter flavor cooking spray along with seasoned salt, seasoning, etc.... just slice up the potatoes or sweet potatoes, spray and coat them, and bake. They taste wonderful!

Dance

AmmiUK 02-25-2006 10:03 AM

Thank you all for your wonderful tips/recipes. I am going to try cooking some tonight. Wish me luck.

Hugs,

Ammi

Misti in Seattle 02-26-2006 09:41 AM

Ammi please let us know what you think of them! A friend of mine who was losing weight and wanted to also feed her family healthier and with stuff she could eat too fixed them but of course didn't tell her kids WHY she made them that way. They went crazy over them and she was able to do them that way often!

Dance

AmmiUK 02-26-2006 10:34 AM

Well ended up having a cooked dinner tonight with vegetables, so the chips are going to be on the menu tonight with home made turkey or beef burgers. Haven't decided which. I will let you know how I get on and if all the family likes them.

Hugs,

Ammi

Misti in Seattle 02-26-2006 11:22 AM

Great! I am betting they will like them... hope so!!!

AmmiUK 02-26-2006 04:43 PM

Hi All,

Well I am pleased to say that the oven chips were a huge success. In fact they were so nice that we all wanted seconds. Good job there were none around.

I blanched the chips for 2 minutes, then shook them in a tub with olive oil, and cooked them in the oven. A real yummy success!! Thank you all for your help.

Hugs,

Ammi

Misti in Seattle 02-26-2006 04:50 PM

Hey I will have to try blanching them and the olive oil!! Glad everyone liked them. I was craving them and made up a batch myself!