Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 11:22 PM   #46  
This time for good!

Thumbs up An alternative

Stevia is a natural alternative to sugar. It is not only a sweetner, but is also nutritive. Look for it in your local health food store or health food section of your grocers. The liquid is best and is VERY concentrated. 1t=1c sugar.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:21 AM   #47  

Height: 5'8.5"

A few years ago I did an intensive Internet research project on Nutrasweet, aspertame, etc... and wow was I ever glad I had given up Diet Coke, etc. The stuff is nasty for you and besides the artificial sweeteners, is pretty much nothing but chemicals and garbage. Look at the can... there is NO nutritional value whatsoever on the stuff! You can dissolve NAILS with the stuff!!

Just my opinion.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:26 AM   #48  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp
Drink up all the diet soda you want, but don't pass it off as healthy!
Exactly! Good message!

You have a LOT of wisdom for your young years!!
Old 04-16-2006, 08:36 AM   #49  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

well if its unhealthy than my mom would be dead by now...that is alllll she drinks she goes throu like 3-4 cases a week!!!!!!!!!

I don't think it can be alll that terrible for you. although she does have irritable legs, inflamation, migraines...but her diet is crapy too all she eats is sugar and processed goodies...soo....yea...

the only thing I would be looking into is the " new" info about the benzen causing cancer.
I gave pop up after I heard that--since most of you know I have battle with cancer in the past.

who knows if its true!
Old 04-16-2006, 10:16 AM   #50  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitgal2
I don't think it can be alll that terrible for you. although she does have irritable legs, inflamation, migraines...
Ummmmm yah... go do some Internet research on the effects of it.

In any case if anyone wants to say it is not bad for them and drink the stuff, fine.

LOL actually I kind of had to laugh at myself. About once a month or so I start craving a Coke now and sometimes go have one. But not since I started this healthful stuff Feb. 15. One day last week I really wanted one and was going to get one saying oh one isn't going to hurt me, etc. And it really wouldn't all that much except I am avoiding all junk. But what stopped me was that I have been on 3FC yapping about how bad the stuff is... so thought I had best follow my OWN advice! So I had my sparkling water instead!
Old 04-16-2006, 12:09 PM   #51  
This time for good!

You know, we all need to make decisions for ourselves. I have no problem if you don't like the stuff and want to believe all the negative hype on something. The "holier-than-thou" attitidue is really making me start to dread coming into this site.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:43 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 203/146/150

Connect the dots...coke, diet or otherwise - in fact ALL pop - is nothing but a sugar delivery device. Each time you drink a can, you get the equivalent of a 1/4 cup of sugar. It's no wonder that type II diabetes is on the rise.

Whether you chose to drink this stuff is entirely up to you. However, if you ever hope to re-train your taste buds AWAY from sweets, you'll need to re-think your coke-addiction. If that makes me holier-than-thou, you can just call me St. Chuck.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:53 PM   #53  
Want them Muscles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWife
You know, we all need to make decisions for ourselves. I have no problem if you don't like the stuff and want to believe all the negative hype on something. The "holier-than-thou" attitidue is really making me start to dread coming into this site.
Yup, I agree, I have also gotten some replys from people where it seems they are looking down their nose at me.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:11 PM   #54  
Want them Muscles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle
Ummmmm yah... go do some Internet research on the effects of it.
Thanks!! I have done research on alot of things. Aspartame is probably no healthier than the products we use to clean our house. the FDA approve things without longterm effects being studied. All are OK in small amounts (so they say). I however believe that our society is becoming increasingly toxic. you can't pick a random item off the shelf without seeing something "added" to the product to enhance it (they put chemicals in fast food to make it taste better. They put artifical flavor/colour in almost everyting to make it taste better to get you to buy it. Pesticides on produce, they put growth hormone in meat and milk... bascially unless we grow our own food and our own meat, which is UNLIKELY, we are not garunteed anything...

we all have to use our own judgement.

Last edited by fitgal2; 04-16-2006 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:44 PM   #55  

Quote:
Aspartame is probably no healthier than the products we use to clean our house. the FDA approve things without longterm effects being studied. All are OK in small amounts (so they say). I however believe that our society is becoming increasingly toxic. you can't pick a random item off the shelf without seeing something "added" to the product to enhance it (they put chemicals in fast food to make it taste better. They put artifical flavor/colour in almost everyting to make it taste better to get you to buy it. Pesticides on produce, they put growth hormone in meat and milk... bascially unless we grow our own food and our own meat, which is UNLIKELY, we are not garunteed anything...
I agree! Our bodies were never designed to process all the chemicals and crap added to our foods. It's pretty much impossible to truly eat healthfully... but we can just do the best we can to avoid as much of the toxic stuff as possible!
Old 04-17-2006, 08:13 PM   #56  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWife
The "holier-than-thou" attitidue is really making me start to dread coming into this site.
Somehow I've never seen any connection between "holiness" and Diet Coke!!
Old 04-17-2006, 08:27 PM   #57  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

The question for me is not "Is coke bad for you." but

"Is coke good for you?"
Old 04-17-2006, 08:31 PM   #58  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde
The question for me is not "Is coke bad for you." but
"Is coke good for you?"
Very good point! Need to keep things positive here! And actually I agree with you!!
Old 04-20-2006, 11:25 AM   #59  

no way can i give up coke .. some times it is the only thing that satifies me when nothing else does.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:41 PM   #60  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Thanks!! I have done research on alot of things. Aspartame is probably no healthier than the products we use to clean our house. the FDA approve things without longterm effects being studied. All are OK in small amounts (so they say). I however believe that our society is becoming increasingly toxic. you can't pick a random item off the shelf without seeing something "added" to the product to enhance it (they put chemicals in fast food to make it taste better. They put artifical flavor/colour in almost everyting to make it taste better to get you to buy it. Pesticides on produce, they put growth hormone in meat and milk... bascially unless we grow our own food and our own meat, which is UNLIKELY, we are not garunteed anything...

we all have to use our own judgement.
Well, I know that aspartame is made with 2 of our 20 amino acids. The only difference is one of them is methylated. I's not a toxic chemical, (realize that toxicity can only depend on relative concentration) the only difference between sugar alcohols used for artificial sweetening and real mono or dissacharides is that they do not cyclize when ingested. Enzymes can't make them cyclic either, and normal sugars no. As a result, they do not get processed in your body like regular sugars.

Milk taken from hormone injected cows and non hormone injected cows happen to have the same hormone detectable. In many cases, you cannot differentiate between the two based on concentration of the growth hormone. You can buy $4.50 milk if you want to, but heck I wouldn't.

As for pesticides- the ppm rating is so low, you breathe in more toxins from the air then you do by consuming non organic produce.

Any of you use teflon pots? Live in a basement? I can list so many other "toxic chemicals" that could make you paranoid forever. Get my drift? you don't realize your breathing them in everyday... Thats why these things are soooooooo minor to me.

And even then, for all of you who consume organic produce and avoid things that are artificially made- you are all capable of developing a cancer and susceptible to disease as much as any body else who couldn't care less. Bottom line- youre worrying more than you should, for almost nothing. Youre guaranteed NOTHING even if you did grow your own produce and raise your own cattle. It's not like you start walking on water or become immortal once you eat organic produce or give up diet soda.
Closed Thread