Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 01:42 AM   #1  

Default Eating your way through the winter blues

This is my first full witner on my healthy eating programme. Already the days are getting cold and dark, and for the first time in ages I am craving cakes, biscuits and hot puddings!!! Eek!!!

What are your life savers in the cold weather, savoury or sweet (I think the sweet cravings could be that I haven't adjusted my eating for the cooler weather and I am not full enough on the good things like vegetables and protein)
Old 10-21-2005, 04:44 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I like to make a fruit crumble. Just whack in tons and tons of fruit, then top with oats and some crumble mix (probably about half the amount usually used). If you measure everything, it's probably not too bad!

You could also try baked bananas and baked apples. You don't need any sugar for the banana but I like my apples with some sugar

Plus if you shop in M&S or somewhere like that, Waitrose do them too... individual puddings that you can microwave, I know M&S have that count on us range, and watrose have a low fat range. Then you're not tempted to scoff a HUGE pie! Just count them in with everything else!
Old 10-21-2005, 05:59 AM   #3  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Home-made soup. Current version involves red onion, sweet potato, butternut squash and beetroot (all from the organic veg I get once a week) with a tiny amount of olive oil, home-made chicken stock and ground cinnamon. So very, very yummy.

I read somewhere that soup which hasn't been liquidised is more satisfying but I haven't found that myself.

I agree about crumble. I use those frozen summer fruits with apple or whatever's to hand, and put some walnuts in the crumble mixture. I have it with skimmed milk. (Other members of the household have it with cream or yoghourt!)

Last edited by silverbirch; 10-21-2005 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:57 PM   #4  

Default The serotonin blues

I live in New England,home of long winters and early darkness. I generally suffer from horrible winter depression which I have to monitor carefully.

Eating complex carbs can help your brain/mood by releasing serotonin into your brain. It will help you feel more calm and relaxed. The trick is to choose healthier, high fiber carbs, instead of the cookies, etc.

Some foods that are helpful for me:

a homemade trail mix (high fiber cereal like Shredded Wheat, some walnuts, a bit of dried apricot)

plain fat-free yogurt with nuggets cereal mixed in

French toast made with Ezekiel bread and skim milk

frozen waffles spread with nut butter

Hope this helps.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:34 PM   #5  
Mel

turkey chili with black beans, garbanzo beans and kidney beans served over brocolli
oatmeal-eggwhite pancakes with fruit baked into them and SF pancake syrup
protein pudding made with tofu, SF cocoa mix and applesauce
hot apples with cinnamon and sf syrup and cottage cheese
Old 10-30-2005, 12:12 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

The other day I had something really good, I stir fried a peeled apple in a bit of olive oil sprinkled some splenda on top added 1/4 cup oatmeal and some SF maple syrup, OMG it was delish! I also love soups and chili in the winter...
Closed Thread