Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-04-2005, 07:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 322/255/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Extra Virgin Olive Oil?

I have a question about EVOO as Rachel Ray says! Anyway, I know that studies have shown that Olive Oil is good for you in salads and such - but what about cooking? I've been eating more fish like tilapia and salmon - I put some EVOO in a skillet and cook the fish that way with just a little seasoning. Am I still getting the good benefit from the EVOO or is that just when used in salads and stuff and not heated.

Thanks for your help!
mom2fivesweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:48 PM   #2  
it's always something

From what I understand, and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the essential fatty acids in olive oil are not destroyed by heat unless you overheat it, such as heating it until it begins to smoke, or using too long, such as in deep frying. For sauteing your fish, you should be doing fine.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:53 PM   #3  

I actually was watching a cooking show on tv! (and drooling) and they were saying it depends on the temperature! once it reaches the stage of smoking or really hot, it loses the goodness. I think sautening is fine, as long as it is not really sizzling away. (frying it quickly might be too hot.)
icedragon6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 08:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 322/255/175

Height: 5'6"

Thanks Suzanne and Icedragon -

That's what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure. If I'm going to eat something cooked in oil, I want it to be beneficial - I just can't get the hang of fish cooked in that cooking spray - it just doesn't do it for me. The oil isn't hurting my weight loss as I've lost 20 pounds in just 6 weeks or so, but I just wanted it to be good for me too!

Thanks again!
mom2fivesweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 11:40 AM   #5  
banned

ive heard it turns to trans fat when heated
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:39 PM   #6  

You could save $ by using the basic olive oil for sauteeing and save the EVOO for when you will really notice the taste (dipping a good crusty bread, salad dressing ,etc.)

Peanut oil can tolerate high heat.

Grapeseed oil and walnut oil are other oils to consider. Health Magazine recently had a good article about how to cook with healthy oils.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:50 PM   #7  

Olive oil is great for cooking (not deep frying). Extra virgin is expensive, but worth it.
It has been used for many other things besides cooking and eating. It has been used to soothe dry hair and skin, and was believed to help heal wounds.
gingerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 07:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 227/170/130

Height: 5'2

Guess what other use you can use olive oil for........your face! My Mom who is 61 years young has used it for many years to remove her makeup and as a night moisturizer and she has the most incredible complexion! She looks at least 10 years younger. I just had to throw my 2 cents in!
JazzyNurse is offline   Reply With Quote