Making Yogurt Cheese

• I have a recipe that calls for nonfat yogurt cheese. My problem is, I couldn't find cheesecloth. Is it possible to make it without the cheesecloth? What other alternatives could be used?
  • Use any loosely woven clean fabric - muslin could work, or a narrow netting. If want to find cheesecloth and have a Wal-Mart in the area, head back to their fabric/craft area and ask for cheesecloth. They should have some you can buy by the yard. Ditto any local fabric store and/or moderately sized craft store. I've seen it packaged in grocery stores, occasionally, but it is much cheaper to buy it by the yard and it lasts forever.
  • I have a little funnel made of a very fine mesh that is for making yogurt cheese. I bought it at TJ Maxx, but I'm pretty sure I've seen them at walmart.
  • You can also place a coffee filter in a regular colander/strainer.
  • If you have a Jo Ann Fabrics around, they should have cheese cloth

(I worked at one for 2 years in HS, I remember cutting it)

~Liz
  • Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I got to thinking, if coffee filters would work just as well, how about cross stitch fabric? I retired that habit long ago because I ended up with carpal tunnel. I have some pieces of 14 count that I don't plan on using and it just might work! I'm going to give it a try and see how it turns out. Next time I go to Jo Ann Fabrics, I'll get some cheesecloth. Thanks again everyone!
  • I'd imagine that the cross stitch fabric would let too much yogurt seep through. You only want the liquid to drip out. I'd really recommend the coffee filter trick, though I'll be interested to know how your experiment works. I also have some old cross stitch fabric tucked away

What are you going to make with the yogurt cheese?
  • I saw some cheesecloth in the kitchen section of Target today as well. Ummm, what is yogurt cheese?
  • Quote: I'd imagine that the cross stitch fabric would let too much yogurt seep through. You only want the liquid to drip out. I'd really recommend the coffee filter trick, though I'll be interested to know how your experiment works. I also have some old cross stitch fabric tucked away

What are you going to make with the yogurt cheese?
    I don't know .. 14 count fabric is woven pretty tight, so it might work. But I finally found my coffee filters, so I'm gonna use that instead. I have a recipe for Fresh Fruit Parfait (yogurt cheese with flavorings, berries and granola). Can't wait to try it!

Isn't cross stitch so fun!? I use to think I didn't have the patience for it, but I loved it .. ended up stitching until I could stitch no more!

Quote: I saw some cheesecloth in the kitchen section of Target today as well. Ummm, what is yogurt cheese?
    Yogurt cheese is just yogurt that has been drained of the liquid (whey) and has a cheesy consistency.
  • I usually find cheesecloth in my grocery store with the canning stuff. I've made yogurt cheese both with it and with coffee filters and either works fine.
  • Thanks for all the tips guys! I used coffee filters and it worked. It really really worked! I'm going to use it tonight with my parfait dessert. I'm so excited!