Squash???

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Okay - I have seen recipes on here for squash that you can heat up in the microwave & add brown sugar & splenda.

I have honestly never eaten squash before - and I would like to try it!

Could anyone out there post a few recipes for me to try with squash, and exactly what type of squash is best for each one?

I also heard that you can make spaghetti with squash? This sounds really yummy to me!

If someone could post some recipes - I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

- Kari
  • I really didn't like the spagetti squash... BUT I do love the butternut squash, just cut the ends off, cut in half, dig out the seeds, put face down on a microwave plate with alittle water about 11-15 minutes. when completer turn over drain, sprinkle with splenda and cinnamon. YUM YUM
  • Love that squash
    Oh boy are there lots of recipes. If you have a george forman grill and easy way to enjoy zucchini, yellow crookneck or any summer squash is to slice it lengthwise, toss in some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, seasonings and grill. Another favorite way to enjoy is is along with oither vegetables in a roasted dish.. slice up eggplant, zucchini, red bell peppers and tomatoes, chopped shallots. Plop on a pan drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper and bake.400 degrees. usually 30-45 minutes, stirring everyone in awhile. Some bake this at 450 for a shorter period and get good results too.

Spaghetti squash .. good too. Cut it in half (pain in the butt), remove seeds. Fill a pan with a little water put in squash halves face down and bake for about an hour. When it comes out you can scrape the flesh and its like spaghetti. I like to top it with fresh basil, fresh diced tomatoes and a little feta cheese.

I recommend you visit a site like allrecipes.com and look in their veggie recipe section. Lots of squash recipes and you can read real reviews from real people.
  • My favorite zucchini recipe is oven "fried". I dip it in 1 Tablespoon of lite ranch dressing blended with a bit of horseradish.

2-3 zucchini, cut into thick sticks or sliced into rounds
    2 T. Italian bread crumbs
    2 t. grated romano or parmesan cheese
    sprinkle of garlic powder, paprika, and pepper
    1 t. olive oil

Mix all ingredients except zucchini in a zip lock bag. Toss in zucchini and shake to coat. Cook for 12 minutes in a 475 degree oven.

This is great as a snack or as a side to spaghetti, lasagna, etc.
  • Squash is one of my very favorite veggies. There are so many kinds out there. I love trying some of the wierder looking ones! You can cook most of them in the microwave as described above. Just be careful not to burn yourself while scraping them out of the shell. I sometimes let them cool, scrape out the flesh, then reheat it. Leftovers are great patted into a pie pan and baked. Cooked squash freezes well too. And I've seen recipes for squash or pumpkin soup. I've also used cooked spaghetti squash in stirfries. Another thing to do with larger zucchini is to cut them lengthwise, scoop out the seeds then fill the seed cavity with some sort of sauce - like spagetti sauce. Wrap it all in foil and bake until the zucchini is done. Top it with cheese if you like, but it's better added after it's cooked.

THe other thing with squash is that it has lots of fiber. My vet actually told me to feed it to my cat for constipation! I mix some cooked squash with water til it's soupy then give it to her. She loves it! This is great because now anytime I need to give her pills or other medications, I just add it to the squash. She gets it usually 2x a week.
  • Thank you all for the terrific recipes!!! I will be sure to try some of them! I will also check out the allrecipes.com website! Sounds great!

Once recipe that I really look forward to trying is the one from WaterRat. Filling the cavity with sauce sounds amazing, and definatly something that I would like!
  • I use summer zucchini and slice real thin. Sautee in pan with chopped onion. (Use brummel and brown to sautee in) In a glass bowl, I spread chopped or diced tomatoes with a little bit of spenda to sweeten. Put sauteed zucchini on top of tomatoes. Grate fat free cheddar cheese and sprinkle over the zucchini. Bake around 20 minutes on 350 degrees or until cheese melts.

Susan
  • Have you tried roasting squash? There is nothing better than roasted butternut squash and carrots! When they are roasted they go really sweet and there is no need for added sugar or sweetner. I also make a butternut soup with a carrot and an onion. Cut them up, cover with chicken stock and boil til soft. Puree and enjoy. It's also really good with a bit of lemon and some chilli.
  • I love squash! itake the yellow squash and zuchinni and slice it up and saute it with onions and mushrooms.. then add a can of diced tomatoes yummmmmmmmmmm you could also top it with some FF cheese and melt it on top
  • I eat zucchini raw. It doesn't taste like much but it's crunchy and satifies that mouth thing and has very few calories. Vitamin A, I believe.
  • I love squash! My reccent favorite is zucchini 'crab' cakes.

2½ c. zucchini, grated (about 2 large)
    1 egg, beaten
    2 T. butter, melted
    1 c. breadcrumbs
    ¼ c. onion, minced
    1-2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
    Garlic powder, to taste
    ¼ c. flour
    Combine zucchini, egg, and butter. Stir in breadcrumbs, onion, and seasoning. Shape into patties and dredge in flour. Pan sear or bake (spray with nonstick cooking spray first) in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes per side.

Enjoy!
    ~mdchick
  • Squash and zucchini is my favorite side dish. I take the yellow squash and zucchini and cut into slices. Then I put them in a pan, spray liberally with no calorie butter spray and sprinkle with a little seasoned salt, garlic powder and the tiniest pinch of cayenne pepper (a little more if you like some spice, but not too much because it can become overwhelming). I just saute it up like this until tender. Towards the end, I sprinkle with a little bit of parmesan cheese, it kinds of melts on it.

Also I sprinkle little more parm cheese on it after cooking sometimes..although a lot of times i don't need it.
  • Roasted Fall Vegetables
    Line a 13 x 9 baking pan with foil, spray it w/non stick spray

Fill the pan with:

chunks of onions
    chunks of beets (take off the greens)
    chunks of sweet potatoes
    chunks of butternut squash

grate salt and black pepper over everything.
    pour a very little bit of pure maple syrup over everything.

Cover the pan with a sheet of foil and crimp it tightly.

Bake (I think I use 425 oven) until vegetables are soft--about 1 hr. This is a REALLY tasty dish and gives you lots of fiber and Vitamin A.
  • You can also make an awesome pasta sauce with zucchini. I cut it into very very small pieces, then saute it with some onion and garlic. When it's soft, I add a can of diced tomatoes and cook it until most of the liquid is gone. This is awesome over pasta or rice.
  • Have you ever seen ITALIAN SEASONING in the store? You should buy that, as well as, spaghetti squash and sprinkle some on top of the squash when it is done! Ohh man its good!! Like your in ITALY haha!