Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 07:19 PM   #16  
it's always something

I had potatoes just last night I made salmon cakes and used a small potato as the binder. I don't eat them often, but I don't intentionally avoid them. The only white stuff I intentionally avoid is sugar, since it's just wasted calories. Potatoes contain vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. And they are very filling for relatively few calories

Breakfastsurreal, I am a card-carrying member of the cauliflower haters club. I think Mother Nature ate too much broccoli and cabbage one night, had indigestion, and cauliflower was the result. Jennifer 3FC is just the opposite, she tries to sneak cauliflower into everything to convince me it's supposed to be good. But of course she is the same sister that recently tried to feed me a salad of garbanzo beans, tuna, and mandarin oranges.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:50 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 210/210/175

Call me weird, but 2 nights ago, I was looking at what all leftover items we had in our refrigerator. I took a can of tuna fish out of the cabinet, drained it and put it in a bowl. Then I put 2 tbsp of Fat Free Italian dressing in with it, along with 1/4 cup of turnip greens and 2 tbsp of chopped onion. Then I put it in the moicrowave for about a minute and a half, took it out and stirred it all up and it tasted like pasta salad without the pasta. I'd never tried any of that all mixed together like that before but it tasted pretty darn good
Old 06-11-2005, 01:17 PM   #18  
Shake Your Booty!

I eat potatoes, sometimes I eat regular pasta, but I prefer wheat pasta...I count calories..I also tend to stick to a more higher carb diet then a low carb, I would say bout 60% of my calories come from carbs...I have lost 40 lbs in under 4 months..
Old 06-18-2005, 10:32 AM   #19  

I find that if I cut out most starchy carbs, I get cravings, so I try to eat them in small portions plain (no sauce) with veggies and protein, and I crave no more. I especially like baked potatoes with greek tzatziki garlic dressing (look in the Mediteranean diet thread, I posted the recipe there)

GG
Old 06-20-2005, 03:48 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 299/ticker/150

Height: 5' 2"

Yum,
I love the potato with chili idea!!! I love baked potatoes
and can feel satisfied with having only them for lunch. I love
the skins and everything. I'm adding the turkey chili to my
grocery list. Thanks for the tip.
Lynne
Old 06-20-2005, 09:23 PM   #21  

I love potatoes but dont eat them too often, esp in summer.

Two things I do with them are make a salad but instead of mayo or fake mayo which I hate, I add a fat-free homemade vinegraitte and lots of celery, some egg, chopped cucumber without the seeds, garlic, raw onion, on occasion chopped black olives and cooked left-over chicken. Very good.

I also love to make good potato/veggie soup. Brown sliced potatoes in no stick pan with ample onion. Add to good stock such as chicken, with other veggies such as carrot, onion, celery, parsley. When soft, blend to desired consistency.

Jan
Old 06-20-2005, 11:05 PM   #22  
WW online (pts plus)

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Very interesting thread, especially since I'm sitting on the fence currently regarding the South Beach diet's rule of cutting out two of my favorites-- potatoes and flour tortillas. I love a big baked potato for a meal, and, we use flour tortillas in at least three or four meals a week in my house. On one hand, I see the logic, and want to try it. After all, if it's the starchy carbs I'm craving, cutting them out completely will, logically, reduce the cravings. On the other hand, I'm not sure that giving up my favorites completely is the answer-- maybe just cutting them back is more realistic.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:28 PM   #23  

I go for the sweet potatoes or yams. Extra A vitmains!!
Old 06-22-2005, 10:04 AM   #24  

I think the only carbs to worry about are those man made heavily processed one. As long as you are watching what you put on or cook with, potatoes are fine. Look at the food pyramid, that is written by health experts and carbs are what you are suppose to have the most of as long as they are whole grain or non-processed. If I don't get carbs I think I am starving all day long and end up eating way more calories than if I would have just had the potato, bread or pasta. My children love baked fries!
Old 07-04-2005, 06:03 AM   #25  

To say that a vegetable is bad for you is wrong. I eat potatos but tend to go towards sweet potato - I prefer the taste and it is lower GI.

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with eating potatoes - whats healthier than a baked potato filled with veges or tuna or baked beans? Just don't eat them for breakfast lunch and dinner - treat them the same as pasta and have them only a couple of times per week and go easy on the butter

Ange
Old 07-07-2005, 06:43 PM   #26  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

I love a baked potato with salsa. Also, I found a tortilla I feel good about eating. It is a Tomato-Basil totilla made by Tortilla Factory. At 100 calories, it has 12 grams of fiber! Most tortillas have only one or two. The flavor is great as well.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:26 AM   #27  

I like baked potatoes with lemon juice and pepper instead of butter. It cuts the dryness and enhanced the flavour. For the oven fries, try using a small amout of chili powder for the seasoning.

Mashed cauliflower may taste like mashed potatoes (I haven't tried it) but I don't get the logic behind replacing a healthy, low-cal and low-fat tuber with a crucifer mixed with heavy cream... I love cauliflower, but prefer it lightly steamed with lemon and pepper. (Hmmmm. I'm sensing a theme here... Yes! Lemon on everything! It's even good on meat!)

Carla
Old 07-26-2005, 06:31 AM   #28  
mmmm.. ice cream

S/C/G: 238/135/125

Height: 5'4"

potatoes can be good on a diet if you're not going all anticarb-loco about it. i like to slice them up with corn and sliced onion and steam them with water and a teensy amount of oil. i top this with hot sauce and salt. it's very filling and doesn't bust a low-calorie or low-fat diet. i guess it wouldn't be good if you're watching sodium though. i love my salt.
Closed Thread