Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 09:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/135/125

Height: 5'4"

Question Need 300-cal meal ideas!

So I have decided the best thing for me diet wise is to stick to 1200-cal a day, and break it up into 300 calorie meals most days. Unfortunately I think shakes and bars are gross for the most part--I'd rather eat real food! Does anyone have good ideas for 300 cal meals that I could bring to work in a Tupperware or baggie? I try to stick to whole, unprocessed foods, I eat fruit, dairy, veggies, soy, chicken and turkey (pretty easy to please )

Thanks!!!
Old 06-01-2005, 09:54 AM   #2  
siouxchef

Hi Blue,

I brown bag it all year when I am teaching. A usual lunch for me is a spinach salad, with sliced cucumbers, mushrooms, and onion, and just balsamic vinegar. Or, I make a wrap with a whole wheat wrap that is about 80 cal.'s, and a few strips of frozen chicken, and spinach, or lettuce, and I buy this fantastic sauce from Wild Buffalo Wings, Thai, and just drizzle over lightly and wrap it up.

The main thing about packing lunches is you have to be organized. Get spinach or lettuce already chopped in the store, so all you have to do it reach in and grab it. Also, if you like cucumbers, radishes, peppers, ect. Get them all in one container so you just have to grab one or two things out of fridge. I buy grilled chicken breast frozen in a bag. All you have to do is grab it. It will thaw by lunchtime.

Another great lunch with protein, is a salad, and top it with a little bag of tuna, or salmon. It comes in a bag with no water. It is right by the tuna, just in a bag. I think they come in 3 or 6 oz. packages. You could save half for the next day.

Yogurt with about a 1/3 c. granola is also a filling breakfast or snack on the go.

Good luck, Hope it works for you.
Sandi
Old 06-06-2005, 06:48 PM   #3  
singletrack chick

there are all kinds of things that you can do for 300 hundred calories. tortilla pizzas with loads of veggies.

steamed veggies and chicken or fish with rice.

wraps, wraps and more wraps. i just made fantastic chicken fajitas for a picnic that were about 150 caloreis a peice.

fritattas are a great, quick easy way to get in a lot of protien and to use up some veggies that might be not so fresh. i use two whole eggs and three egg whites. cut into four servings and you've got a great source of protien for about one hundred calories a slice. i have mine with a nice big salad.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 366/359/175

Height: 5'8"

One of my favorite "meals" of the day is my fruit shake. Here's my recipe:

1 medium apple (peeled)
1 Bannana (peeled )
1 cup LF Yogurt
1 cup skim milk

I blend it all up till smooth. It makes a LOT of slushy and I feel very full after drinking it all. Total it is 410 calories. You could half the recipe for a smaller calorie count and have the rest later or the next day.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:05 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 366/359/175

Height: 5'8"

I just read that you don't like shakes, but this isn't one of those sugar-laden nasty things you buy in the store!
Old 06-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 238/157/138

Height: 5'4

Here is the link to Fit TV's Housecalls 2 minute snacks. A lot of them can be used for small meals and are low in cals. Tons of them look so yummy!!!

http://fittv.discovery.com/fansites/...s/recipes.html
Old 06-07-2005, 07:34 PM   #7  
I believe in Futures

I eat a sandwich practically every day for lunch. I use Orowheat's whole grain bread (100 cal per slice), stuff the sandwich with romaine salad, and 2-3 slices of turkey meat from the deli (~25 calories per slice). Once in a while I'll use a slice of cheese, but all in all, a sandwich is a good (and nutritious) meal with very few calories!
Old 06-11-2005, 01:23 AM   #8  

Smile

I came across your post and thought I would offer a suggestion. I too am doing 1200 calories a day, I just started this week and am having a hard time finding foods as well. I am not one for frozen food, and I really don't eat lunch meat or anything along those lines. Unfortunatly I'm extremly picky. But I came across something yesterday while grocery shopping...Weight Watcher's Smart Ones frozen entrees, on a whim (they were 50% of and most were under 300 cals, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try a few) They have a lot that are under 300 calories (Ravioli stuffed with spinach and cheese, Turkey and mashed potatos, lasagna, there are quite a few different ones), I think most are and they are surprisingly good! They make a great, simple, reasonable lunch with in your calorie range. My mom also eats them and says they aren't enough for her so she has a tomato and cucumber side salad seasoned with salt & pepper or a piece of fruit.

Out of curiosity do you stay under 300 calories at dinner also? I'm despertaly looking for dinner recipes that are low in calories. But I'm having a rough time.

Have a great weekend!
Old 07-07-2005, 05:08 PM   #9  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I eat meals that are less than 300, too. Here are a couple of my "staple" recipes. My favorite is the cabbage roll casserole, second favorite is chicken with green chile sauce:

Black Bean Burrito: (1 serving)
1/4 cup canned black beans, washed and drained
2 1/2 ounces lowfat cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 whole corn tortillas
1 tablespoon salsa

Place corn tortilla on a plate, put everything else on (except salsa) and microwave for about a minute. Add salsa.

Per Serving: 278 Calories; 11g Fat (34.8% calories from fat); 22g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 15mg Cholesterol; 744mg Sodium.

Chicken Rice in Tomato Cream Sauce: (1 serving)
3 ounces skinless boneless chicken breast, cooked
2 teaspoons light cream cheese
1/4 cup brown rice, cooked
1/4 medium tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup tomato sauce, low sugar
2 tablespoons lowfat yogurt, plain
1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
Cook rice.

Spray skillet with cooking spray and combine rice with other ingredients. Heat in skillet on medium heat until warm.

*this one is a little higher in cals: 331 Calories; 5g Fat (12.9% calories from fat); 27g Protein; 44g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 58mg Cholesterol; 504mg Sodium. But it could be made less by using fat free stuff.

Chicken with Green Chili Sauce (1 serving)
2 1/2 ounces skinless boneless chicken breast, cooked
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 whole limes, juiced
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
1 dash black pepper
1 tablespoon water
3 whole tomatillos, cut in half
1/4 medium onions, quartered
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 whole serrano peppers, seeded
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon lowfat yogurt, plain
1/4 cup cooked brown rice

Put water, tomatillos and onion into saucepan. Bring to gentle boil and cook uncovered for 10 minutes or until tomatillos are tender. In blender, place cooked onion, tomatillos, oil, oregano and black pepper and any remaining water. Add garlic, peppers, cilantro and lime juice. Blend until ingredients are smooth.

Heat sauce in skillet or saucepan, add chicken and heat through. Pour over brown rice and put one tablespoon of low-fat sour cream (or plain yogurt) over.

Per Serving: 296 Calories; 11g Fat (33.8% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 52mg Cholesterol; 72mg Sodium.

Kicked Up Cabbbage Roll Casserole (6 servings)
20 ounces ground turkey
1/2 cup chopped onion
14 1/8 ounces spaghetti sauce
1 3/4 pounds cabbage, chopped
1/2 cup brown rice, uncooked
1/2 teaspoon salt
14 1/8 ounces chicken broth
1 tablespoon sherry
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2 In a large skillet, brown beef in oil over medium high heat until redness is gone. Drain off fat.

3 In a large mixing bowl combine the onion, spaghetti sauce, sherry, garlic powder, worcestershire sauce, cabbage, rice and salt. Add meat and mix all together. Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Pour broth over meat mixture and bake in the preheated oven, covered, for 1 hour. Stir, replace cover and bake for another 30 minutes.

Per Serving: 326 Calories; 12g Fat (33.4% calories from fat); 22g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 75mg Cholesterol; 859mg Sodium.

Stuffed Peppers: (serves 6)
20 ounces ground turkey
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup brown rice
1 cup water
6 whole green peppers
15 ounces canned tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
6 tablespoons parmesan cheese
salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Cook rice. In a skillet over medium heat, cook turkey and onion until evenly browned.

Remove and discard the tops, seeds, and membranes of the green peppers. Arrange peppers in a baking dish with the hollowed sides facing upward. (Slice the bottoms of the peppers if necessary so that they will stand upright.)

In a bowl, mix the turkey mixture, cooked rice, 1/2 can tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each hollowed pepper. Mix the remaining tomatoes and Italian seasoning in a bowl, and pour over the stuffed peppers.

Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, basting with sauce every 15 minutes, until the peppers are tender.

Per Serving: 275 Calories; 10g Fat (32.7% calories from fat); 22g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 79mg Cholesterol; 316mg Sodium.

I've got lots more, if you want them let me know!

Last edited by trooworld; 07-07-2005 at 05:16 PM.
Closed Thread