Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 10:46 AM   #1  

Default green tea...

Just a curious question...
Have heard that green tea speed up the metabolism - what else does it do? What's the best brand? Is it worth drinking - and how does it taste???

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2005, 10:57 AM   #2  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

It's a wonderful antioxidant.

I like Lipton's mint & lemon ginseng, too. It tastes great! I like to make iced tea with it, or just drink it hot as a coffee replacement. Don't get the plain, it tastes like dirty hippie feet.

Of course, with sugar or a sweetener it might be a different story, but I don't like sweet tea.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:54 AM   #3  
it's always something

Green tea for metabolism and weight loss? Forget about it A lot of supplement makers are cashing in on the idea that the EGCG in green tea will boost your metabolism and cause weight loss. Some claim you don't even have to diet or exercise.

However, they are all basing this claim on a tiny study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition that involved only 10 men that took a test mixture of EGCG and CAFFEINE (not egcg alone). The test was only done for 24 hours and it showed a small increase in energy expenditure (4%). There were no tests done to show actual weight loss, and it is not known if the increase would be sustained if followed more than one day. So the most you can hope for is a 4% increase, which would be such a small amount that you would probably never notice, anyway. I'd hold off on putting much faith into this until some major medical establishment shows data proving it works.

In the mean time, like SuchAPrettyFace mentioned, green tea does contain antioxidants which are good for many other things, and it can't hurt to drink it I've heard that the powdered or finely ground (dusty) teas usually found in supermarkets do not contain as much of the good stuff as the whole leaf teas, so the quality of the product makes a difference in the health benefits. I don't know if that is true or not. I buy tea from www.adagio.com . I love the flavored and the regular teas.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:41 PM   #4  

I love green tea now! I started drinking it awhile ago and can't stop! I get mine from downstairs, so not sure what kind it is, but i know that the Celestail seasonings is good! Try out the starbuck's stuff too - i really like that.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:08 AM   #5  

I drink a lot of green tea and I do think it helps with weight loss. I stopped drinking it for awhile, and even though I was still working out and eating right, my weight stayed the same. When I went back to drinking green tea, I started losing weight again. I'm not claiming tons of weight. However, when I did drink the green tea, I noticed myself losing just a little more weight than when I was not drinking the tea.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:43 AM   #6  

I don't know about green tea helping with weight loss, but it is supposed to be good for you, very good antioxidants. I try to drink a cup every day, but the decaf. I got off the caffeine quite a while back and have NO desire to get hooked again. I particularly like "The Republic of Tea" brand, esp their wild berry plum green tea. It comes in little cylinders with round teabags inside. I think it tastes GREAT! and a half teaspoon of honey is only 7-8 calories if you need a little sweet. One thing you should know about green tea as opposed to Liptons type tea, use almost boiling water and only steep a couple minutes. If you use water that's boiling very hard and let it sit for a long time it can get bitter.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:10 PM   #7  

To really benefit from Green Tea, it has to steep long enough in the leaves, and it taste rather very bitter...

I get mine at a Japanese Supermarket in a 2liter bottler container.

Anyone else? This way I can drink it cold, you do need to diet along with drinking the tea,but if it is strong drinking it on an empty stomache is a "no no".

Old 05-04-2005, 04:50 PM   #8  

is it good cold?
Old 05-05-2005, 01:01 AM   #9  

Yes, especially in the Summer, I just love it. There is a major, major difference in the tea leaves that come from lipton rather then the tea that comes in a 2 liter bottle, it is easy and you can have it hot or cold

Some brands are more bitter than others. My skin is more healthy that is for sure and it does help curb your hunger along with dieting. If you use tea bags, you can make it like you would ice tea (red tea) but some do find it rather bitter depending on the leaves used.http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...-food&n=507846

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...-food&v=glance

Then there is a green tea powder which uses all the leaves and gives more benefit, some has to be mixed warm first though in order for it to dislove.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...-food&v=glance

The lipton is good, I mixes mint with the green tea to help with the bitter taste, but having is steep for a while is best.

I buy mine sometimes at the market or Japanese market and it comes already made in a 2 liter plastic bottle.

Closed Thread