Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 12:42 AM   #1  
Delicious Microwaved!

Default Chewing gum and Calories

Maybe this isn't the most appropriate forum? I dunno...

Lately I've been chewing a lot of gum. One stick of my sugarless brand has 5 calories. I usually make a stick last 30-60 mins (because I'm a cheapskate not because of the calories) and I'm wondering: Do I burn off the 5 calories that I consume by chewing the gum?

I know it sounds frivolous but I've been alotting about 100 calories a day to gum (that number includes a piece or two of sugary 25 cal per piece gum). 100 calories is a sizable snack to me and I'd like it back! I checked caloriesperhour dot com and they didn't have chewing gum listed.

What do you guys think? How many calories do you think you burn by chomping on something?

I don't know if I should be counting my gum calories or not
Old 05-07-2005, 01:11 AM   #2  
it's always something

Wow, you are right on target! You burn an extra 11 calories per hour chewing gum, so that cancels it out

From Men's Fitness magazine:
Quote:
Believe it or not, you can actually burn some extra calories by chewing gum. "Besides being good for your breath--especially if you eat a lot of protein--researchers at the Mayo Clinic have found that chewing gum will burn an additional 11 calories per hour," says Dan Benardot, Ph.D., R.D., author of Nutrition for Serious Athletes.

It's estimated that if you chew noncaloric gum during waking hours, and if you do not make any changes to your eating or exercise routines, you can lose 10 pounds of body fat in a year.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:36 AM   #3  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I like Bubblicious watermelon or strawberry, it keeps my mouth busy when it could be doing naughty, high calorie things, so I enjoy it from time to time. Only 25 calories.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:42 AM   #4  

Height: 5'1"

I like to chew gum while making dinner. Helps me from "picking" at the food that I "just have to taste test"

So I figure, even though it may be added calories....I'm saving myself a lot more by chewing while making dinner.

(ok, so I didn't help w/the question, but I thought I would add my 2cents in)
Old 05-07-2005, 05:42 AM   #5  
Pending Email Confirmation

I chew orbit sugar free fruit flavoured whitening gum. yum.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:15 AM   #6  
Delicious Microwaved!

Awesome! I'm sooo glad to see that the calories probably cancel out! I doubt I need to remind anyone here how big of a treat 100 calories can be elsewhere (for me it's a serving of lowcal yogurt, a fig newton with a smidgen of peanut butter, a big dish of berries, and apple, a banana....). I'd much rather have the 100 cal in food than have to worry about alotting it to gum!

Thanks for your super quick response, Suzanne! I couldn't find the calories per hour anywhere. You are an

Suchaprettyface and Hoofbeats: I've tried both of your suggestions and like them both as well

And Marti, you have a good point about gum deterring food picking. I am a HUGE picker and it definitely makes me think twice before doing so. And if it can do that, then it's prolly earns it's caloric keep right there

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-07-2005, 07:00 PM   #7  
banned

Location: Connecticut, but next year I plan on going to college in Colorado.....We shall see!!!

I chew about 6 packs or MORE of gum a day!!!! ORBIT BABY! Oh man, I dont know what I would do with out it! It is just so satisfying!!!
I really hope it doesnt add on the calories, but I dont think it does because I have been chewing this much for over 1 1/2 years and well.....I am still pretty much the same weight!!
Old 05-10-2005, 05:26 PM   #8  

I like the Dentyne Fire gum (5 cal/2pieces) and Super Bubble Bubble Gum
Closed Thread