Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 11:12 PM   #1  

Default Soda Help

I Drink A Lot Of Soda And Was Wondering If There Was Anything I Could Try Thats Better For Me And Still Taste Good?
Old 03-28-2005, 11:24 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

I would say to try drinking WATER - start subsituting some of your sodas (I'm assuming these are DIET sodas, yes??) with water. I keep my water intake high by not allowing myself to have diet Cokes during the workday - instead I have three water bottles on my desk and sip from them throughout the day.

If you don't 'like' water - try drinking sparkling water. My husband loves plain seltzer water...Pellegrino is nice too...or Calistoga sparkling...maybe with a twist of lemon or lime (Calistoga and some other brands now have flavored waters - not sweet but a tang from lemon, lime, orange, etc.).

I don't care for the taste of Crystal Light but others love the stuff. We do drink a lot of iced tea, especially during the summer. I prefer to make mine fresh but in a pinch, the Lipton Sugar Free decaffinated instant is quite good...

But do try and get some more water in!
Old 03-28-2005, 11:58 PM   #3  
it's always something

I love water I also like diet Sierra Mist. It's the only soda I drink. I think it really tastes like it has sugar. But I do prefer water. I keep a Brita pitcher filled and in the fridge at all times. Water is so much better tasting when it's ice cold and filtered, with a thin slice of lemon.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:06 PM   #4  
Jennifer

I LOVE the lightly flavored, sodium free seltzers. Sometimes to get some more fruit in, I'll throw in a handful of frozen blueberries. It tastes delicious when the blueberries thaw, and it's a good way to get another serving of fruit!
Old 03-29-2005, 02:32 PM   #5  

Yes, yes, yes on the water, however, when I do have soda I have Diet Rite, it is sugar free, sodium free and caffeine free and comes in 3 or 4 flavors one of which is cola.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 317/257/???

Height: 5'11''

What I get when I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed soda and don't want water is Diet 7up. It's so good. I don't really like flavored waters all that much but the other day I fould one that is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo good! I don't remember the name but it's by aquafina. The best one (at least to me) is the citrus blend. Yum.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:33 AM   #7  

The one you mean by Aquafina is "Flavorsplash" - I'm drinking the citrus blend as I write this. lol.

The only thing to watch out for is sodium... one 20oz of the flavorsplash has 163mg sodium in it. Not a huge deal to most people, but something to keep in mind for those watching salt intake.

I cheat and buy one of these and then when its empty, I fill it with plain water. It has a slight taste of the citrus flavor for the first refill.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:48 AM   #8  
Southern Gem

I'm like you, I LOVE sodas. However, they make up a lot of calories in my diet. So, now I drink a C2 with supper. C2 is like a Coke, but with half the calories. You can't really taste the difference if you drink it with food. And I don't typically drink a whole one, so it ends up about 50 calories. For breakfast and lunch, I drink a diet 7-Up, and the rest of the day, I drink water w/ a few drops of Real Lemon to give it bite, and a slightly sweet aftertaste.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:50 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 317/257/???

Height: 5'11''

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckeygirl
The only thing to watch out for is sodium... one 20oz of the flavorsplash has 163mg sodium in it. Not a huge deal to most people, but something to keep in mind for those watching salt intake.

Yeah I noticed that the last time I was looking at it. Could be a problem for some people.

Another thing I do to help me drink water is I fill up my 2 quart water bottle. I try to drink 2 of those a day. That way it's there with me and it's not like I have to drink the whole thing at once. I can put it in the fridge and take it out as I need it. Another thing I hear from someone else before is if you fill up 8 cups (disposable) up with water when you're going to bed, you'll wake up and have them ready. Try to drink all 8 before you go to bed that night.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:36 AM   #10  

I DEFINITELY agree with the having the water ready to go. I keep 20oz bottles with me and will often fill 2 at a time. I find myself sometimes going to grab for a drink and if its not sitting right near me, sometimes I wont get up right away to go get it - especially at work - so having it always there helps. Drinking water has almost become a habit.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:18 PM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

I like plain club soda (not tonic water) for a change. It has a "flavor" to me, and is more satisfying than plain water (which I don't mind). I worked one place that had free soda dispensers, and club soda was a choice. I got really hooked on it there.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:38 PM   #12  

I'd try C-2 or Pepsi edge. It's a half the carb/calories soda. It's better than regular soda. Diet soda is aweful unless it's diet coke with lime.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:17 AM   #13  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I don't know what happened to me, but somewhere over the years i've acquired an extreme dislike for diet soda...it just grosses me out now. i have couple sips of regular Coke as a treat now and then...C2 is pretty good actually if you can ignore the aftertaste it has.

But diet Pepsi just tastes like battery acid to me now, diet coke is a bit better.
Closed Thread