Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 02:06 PM   #1  

Default Has anyone tried Boca or any other meatless product?

I'm interested in trying one of Boca's meatless products but I've never tried anything like it before. Anyone have experience with this product?
Old 01-04-2005, 02:28 PM   #2  
Megan

S/C/G: 200/138/133

Height: 5'5"

i dont care for the boca burgers, but i think the boca chicken tastes great! also the spicy version is good as well. It is hard to describe the taste (not really like chicken), but i enjoy it and i've introduced it to some friends who like it as well.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

My ds likes boca chik'n nuggets, but I find them a bit dry and the texture is weird--almost chewy. Of course, it's been many years since I've eaten "real" chicken nuggets, so I don't have much to compare to.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:22 PM   #4  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Boca is disgusting. Try Morningstar Farms instead.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:52 PM   #5  
it's always something

I also dislike the Boca products, but love Morningstar Farms. I used to love GardenBurger ( the fire roasted vegetable) but they don't sell them here anymore. Morningstar Farms maked a great 'pizza and basil' burger, and I also love their chicken patties. I've never tried the boca chicken.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:24 AM   #6  
singletrack chick

morning star farms is much better than boca. i eat their breakfast sausage patties, breakfast strips, corn dogs, chick'n nuggets and buffalo wings every now and then. they are all good. i keep this stuff in the house when i'm in a huge rush. its my "fast food" fix.

the only thing of boca that i eat is their sausages, smoked, italian and bratwurst. i think they are great. i heat then in the wrapper for one minute and then take them out and cut them up to go over salads, veggie packed pasta, ride and beans etc. some times i drop them in the food i'm cooking (precooked in the microwave) right before i take it off of the heat. if you cook them in rice and beans or something, they seem to lose all of their flavor.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:41 PM   #7  

I tried Boca on someone's suggestion, and it just had a really bad flavor and aftertaste.

The Morningstar Chik patties, on the other hand, are pretty flavorful, and an excellent meat substitute. I have them at least 4 times a week, and if I'm in a real rush, I'll make a Chik patty and some of the nuggets for a meal.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:21 AM   #8  
it's always something

I also like the chik patty in a salad, like a mock "fried chicken" salad. I cook it, cut it into little cubes, then mix it in with my salad, and use a light honey mustard or ranch dressing. Yummy
Old 01-06-2005, 03:57 AM   #9  
Go, Banana!

i have had a bad experience with boca. they taste bad and since i am allergic to soy.. i obviously cant eat them. if i get the itch to eat anything like that i usually go for a gardenburger. when i worked at wholefoods in florida i found a wonderful alternative called sunshine burgers. they are made with sunflower seeds, brown rice, carrots and some spices. they are a little high in fat b/c of the seeds but they are amazing... plus they are soy free and vegan! i have heard somewhere that boca uses GMO's in there products, except for the ones they sell at a wfm. they have altered the recipe inorder to sell them there. ... a little shady if you ask me. GMO's are gross .... good luck finding your tastes though... if you look in specialty stores there are more alteratives than you think! oh..! there is also another brand called Quorn. they are made from mushrooms i believe, a little weird on taste if i remember correctly, but i think they are soy free as well. anyway like i said good luck. try to find the sunshine burgers!! you wont regret it!!

peace irina
Old 01-08-2005, 10:51 PM   #10  
In search of my waist

I'm not a big fan of boca, but I think that's because I don't like meat much--the morningstar farms is a lot less like meat. I think I may be addicted to their Buffalo wings--they're like chicken tenders with lots of yummy spices.

Old 01-09-2005, 02:04 AM   #11  
WW Moderator

My son loved the Boca burgers, but I can't remember what they taste like - I did not like the Boca crumbles. They were wayyy to salty. I tried to make taco meat out of them and after adding the taco seasoning, it was terrible. I love Gardenburger brand, but they are harder to find these days. They are not the 'meaty' kind, though. More of a veggie burger than a meaty burger.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:38 AM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

boca

Morning Star Garden Burgers are the best ! Their corn dogs are pretty tasty too
Old 01-09-2005, 03:39 PM   #13  

I actually like the Boca All-American burger quite well. Has a nice "charcoal grilled" flavor. I've used the crumbles in spaghetti sauce, etc. and they were OK, just didn't have much flavor on their own. I'm not fond of the sausage, but I don't like turkey sausage or reduced-fat pork sausage, either. I haven't tried any other meatless brands of sausage.

One thing to realize when you start trying these types of products is that they are NOT going to taste a lot like meat. Just think of them as "soy or vegetable sandwich filling" rather than "meat substitute" and your expectations will better match what you're eating.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:21 PM   #14  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I've been eating the Morningstar Farms breakfast patties for a few years.

They smelled so good when they were cooking, a woman at work asked me what they were, etc. I told her & now her husband LOVES them.

The main reason I didn't like Boca is they use hydrogenated oil. But I had their roast garlic burger & was not impressed, would rather have a Gardenburger Mushroom burger.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:38 PM   #15  
~ Berry Happy ~

Okay - after reading this post, I had to go out and buy some morningstar farm products. I bought the pizza basil burger, some other kind of burger (can't remember the name of it...lol), and I also bought the buffalo wings. They were on sale 3 for $7.00 so I could not pass them up! Can't wait to try them, and I'll let you know what I think!

~ Kari Berry ~
Closed Thread