3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Angel Food Cake with Splenda? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/55184-angel-food-cake-splenda.html)

mnemosyne 03-21-2005 04:18 PM

Angel Food Cake with Splenda?

Hey everyone.

We had angel food cake with fresh strawberries for Sunday dessert last week, and it tasted great. I looked up the calories to log it, and was pretty astonished by how reasonable they were. Of course, it only makes sense since an angel food cake is mostly egg foam, but - wow! Anyway, I'd like to try making one, and looked up a couple of recipes, and found a South Beach recipe using Splenda and WW flour on these forums. I was wondering if anyone had tried making an angelfood cake with splenda - or tried that recipe specifically. I'm concerned that the sugar might be an important part of the structure of the cake and foam - I'm willing to save calories for the sugar involved, but if I can escape them, so much the better.

Has anyone made an angelfood cake with Splenda and/or WW flour? What about Splenda Blend for Baking? I'd love some feedback. Thanks!

funniegrrl 03-21-2005 05:45 PM

Splenda recommends using half sugar and half Splenda for baking. That's what Splenda Blend is -- half sugar, half Splenda.

I have not tried making an angel food cake with all Splenda but I have thought about it. It would be worth a shot, the ingredients don't cost too much, and if it's not good it's not a huge waste. I don't know that I'd use whole wheat flour, though ... can't really say that sounds appetizing. On a carrot cake, yes, but angel food? hmmm.

caitietee 03-24-2005 03:56 PM

Splenda has a recipe for angel food bites. It is just Splenda and Egg whites. I am constantly making trifle for my roommate with angel food cake, fat-free sugar-free vanilla pudding, sugar free strawberry Jello, fat free Cool Whip and strawberries. (or chocolate pudding, bananas and a little melted peanut butter).

I replaced the angel food cake with the angel food bites, and it was very good. You have to chop up the bites, but they still taste wonderful.

I find that low fat baking sacrifices texture in a lot of desserts, so I throw them together into Low-fat trifles. Just a suggestion!

DJ 03-28-2005 04:19 PM

do you have the directions for the bites, are they like hard baked meringue(sp)

DJ 03-28-2005 06:13 PM

I found the recipe for the bites on the web site, they call it meringue I was thinking without the flour it would be sort of chewy and hard more like candy, is that what it is like? I think I will try making it What is creme of tartar, I wonder if you can forgo that, my mom always made mer (LOL I need to find the spelling of that word) and she just used egg whites, sugar and vanilla so except for using the spenda blend I guess their is no difference. I bet if you added almond flavor that would be good also, I have always liked a vanilla almond flavor blend OK enough about food to the treadmill I go :D

caitietee 03-29-2005 09:52 AM

I just made the bites from those recipes without the fillings because I was making it for a Trifle. They come out really puffy and kind of crispy on the outside with an almost nonexistent center. I really enjoyed it though because I don't think desserts need to be filling to be satisfying. Let me know how the ones with the filling come out!

suechef 04-08-2005 10:57 AM

I have made angel food cake with splenda alone. It did not rise nearly as much as my regular angel cake, and was quite a bit firmer, but it was okay. Frankly, in the future I will just make my usual angel cake with about 1/3 less sugar (which I've also done before). As desserts go, angel food cake is pretty benign - just pure protein with added sugar. So, I'd just make it & have a slightly smaller piece with some nice splenda-sweetened fruit or lemon curd (which uses up the yolks in a super way).

MrsJim 04-08-2005 01:41 PM

You might want to refer to this older thread - which includes a link and article titled "Splenda 101" from the San Francisco Chronicle's award-winning Food section:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47794