Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 06:13 PM   #1  
We're TTC!!

S/C/G: 303/281/Goal#1:271

Height: 5'3"

Default Nature Valley bars

I normally use the Slim Fast optima meal bars when I need a super quick portable lunch...I was wondering would the Nature Valley bars be a healthier alternative to an occasional meal along with a piece of fruit? Thanks!
Old 02-18-2005, 10:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

I wouldn't consider them a meal in themselves. Maybe try one of those Soup at Hands? They are portable. Or a Clif Bar or Luna, they have more staying power. I love the Nature Valley bars but I have never tried them as a meal.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:56 AM   #3  
We're TTC!!

Ok, Liz, thanks so much. Good idea on the soup! I have never tried Luna bars... I may give that a shot or even drinkable yogurt(?) Sometimes I am rushing out the door or have VERY shortened lunch breaks and need just a quick portable meal. Thanks again!
Old 02-18-2005, 05:43 PM   #4  

Those soups are nothing but Salt Delivery Systems -- most canned/instant soups are. Also, the granola bars, slimfast bars, etc. are just full of sugar. I'm not a no-sugar-any-time person by any means, but to call any of these a "meal" is to short yourself nutritionally in a big way.

What kind of situations do you need something "on the go?" Does it catch you by surprise and you have to have something stashed in your desk for an emergency? Or do you have a reasonable idea ahead of time? Tell us more about the situation and I bet we can come up with a lot more alternatives that are a LOT more healthy.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:30 AM   #5  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I think a Nature Valley bar, a drinkable yogurt & a piece or fruit or even string cheese instead of the yogurt would be an acceptable mini-meal.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:15 PM   #6  
We're TTC!!

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I usually plan all my meals ahead and have them packed in the morning when I go to work. Of course, there are days when I barely wake up in time, etc. Not normally, though. I am trying to walk for 20 mins of my lunch break, which only leaves me with 10 min left to find something quick to eat. So, I guess that's really the problem. I have been doing rotten this week, not planning, skipping meals, and then overeating in the evening. Ughh! I have to get a handle on this! Thanks for your advice.
Closed Thread