Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 09:52 AM   #1  

Default St. Patricks Day Meals?

Does anyone have any good st. patrick's day meals? My 4 year old is INSISTING on our family having a st. patricks day party this weekend.. so I'm trying to get together a meal that I can enjoy instead of watching them eat without me.

Any ideas?
Old 03-16-2005, 10:47 PM   #2  
WW Moderator

What diet plan are you on? Maybe we can find something better than corned beef and cabbage.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:24 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I have a piece of corned beef cooking right now. It's very lean and I'll avoid eating any fat.
Another suggestion would be Irish stew - it's made with beef or lamb.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:59 AM   #4  

Default my diet plan

I'm basically just eating healthier. I'm watching my calories and fat intake, but mostly I'm trying to get enough fiber, calcium, iron, etc and not too much sodium. I've found that just trying to get a lot of that makes me eat healthier without being tied to the numbers all the time.. but on average I stay within 1400-1600 calories a day and without trying too hard I end up at 30g of fat a day.

I'm considering making corned beef because I can probably pick at least some of the fat off.. and then have cabbage, carrots, and baked potatoes with it. It's just all about portions.. what I'm worried about is if the bf and kids dont end up liking corned beef, I don't want lots of leftovers of something like that. Heck. I don't even know if *I* like corned beef. I havent had it in years!!

The beef stew though is a GREAT idea. I can definitely make that in a healthy way and my kids love that. I think we may have a winner

I've already got sugar free lime jello we are going to make into shamrock shapes with a cookie cutter, lemon-lime Koolaid, and we're making cupcakes the low-fat way with applesauce (no icing on mine so I can have one) The desserts were the easy part! Thanks for the idea about the stew. And anyone else that has any more ideas, feel free to send em on.. I really like "theme night" cooking.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

What about irish soda bread? I could find a recipe if you want.

Honey dew melon and green grapes for another "green" dessert/snack idea.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:25 PM   #6  

I'd never heard of irish soda bread... I found a few recipes online.. thanks for the great idea
Closed Thread