Floats?

• Okay... so I'm in the store the other day and found low-calorie, low-fat rootbeer floats. They're really good, but they're expensive. And I'm thinking: why can't I make my own with the sugar-free/no-aspartame rootbeer that I buy, and the no-sugar-added/no aspartame ice cream I buy? And then I could have other flavors, too... like black cherry soda with cherry ice cream...
    Or orange with vanilla.
    I saw a cooking show that showed the chef pre-making frozen cocktails by putting the freezer bags in a cup and pouring the ingredients in, then sealing it up and freezing. But I'm not sure that I can do that with the soda?

Anybody here have any idea? What'cha all think? The ones I bought were frozen, and allegedly have real root beer in them.

• Interesting! To be honest, I've never heard of pre-made frozen floats. I'm only familiar with the old fashioned floats, where you drop a scoop of ice cream into a glass of root beer or coke. I probably haven't had one in 30 years, but I still remember the flavor of the foam What is a frozen float like?
  • Its really good. The root beer actually fuzzes on your tongue, and the ice cream is creamy. I'm sure they'd taste just as good regularly, but I don't remember ever liking floats before. I bought some vanilla ice cream last night, and some of the orange soda (they didn't have a 2-liter of the root beer, and I'm so picky about root beer I didn't want to buy a 12-pack and get stuck with it if it tastes nasty). I'll give it a try tonight perhaps.

• Update: I didn't refreeze the mixture, but I did the vanilla sf ice cream with the orange sf soda tonight... I wasn't feeling all that great, but I knew I had to eat something, so I compromised on that and half a turkey sandwich. It was REALLY good.
    I think it'd be better if I refreeze it, too... it was like eating a dreamsicle. Only, of course, no sugar added, no aspartame.
    If you can get it, the Turkey Hill no sugar added ice cream is fantastic. I've tried the LeCarb and the other lower-carb ones, and they don't taste like ice cream. I like frozen yogurt a lot, too... I try the low-carb because it has the Splenda in it, and Nutra Sweet makes me sick.