Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 07:47 PM   #1  
Wheeeeeeeeee!

Default Water + lemon = good for you?

Hi all,

I've been a reasonably good little chickie in regard to my beverage intake, I've been drinking water like a fiend. A friend of mine made a comment the other day that I should put lemon in my water, that it's better for you.

Any truth to this? I've lemonized my jugs of water at home, and I'm having a rough time drinking it. Not used to it. Can I go back to my plain-water ways, or should I stick with the lemon?

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2004, 09:23 PM   #2  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I don't know about the health benefits but some people don't like the bland taste of water and put lemon it just to boost the flavour.

I say if you don't like the taste then don't drink it. There is no point in drinking or eating something you don't like. Just go back to your regular water.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:30 PM   #3  

The lemon juice will help with your vitamin C intake for the day. And, some people believe that drinking lemon juice in water functions as a diuretic. But, I've not seen any hard-core evidence to this fact.

"Put lemon in your water" is just one of those "diet" things that gets passed around as gospel and most people have no idea why, but they do it anyway because they've heard you should.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:16 PM   #4  
Wheeeeeeeeee!

""Put lemon in your water" is just one of those "diet" things that gets passed around as gospel and most people have no idea why, but they do it anyway because they've heard you should."

That was kinda my thought. Thanks for contributing you two, I won't stress out so much about the lemon deal.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:49 AM   #5  

Well it is one way of getting your vit C! It may also help you stop craving sweet things? I dunno. Personally there is nothing better than iced water with lemon or lime (except vodka, gin -someone stop me!)
Old 07-01-2004, 10:34 AM   #6  

I hate water so I use Crystal Light. It's the ony way I get my intake.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:16 PM   #7  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

If you like a hot drink firstt thing in the morning then adding lemon juice to hot water is a really low cal decaff drink to go for.

You might read in various magazines that hot water lemon juice and ginger root will increase your metabolism - not enough info out there to prove it one way or another - but it is a nice way to start the day!

I tend to be able to get in a completely virtuous day if I can be bothered with the hot water start. So I personally try to do it most days, but that's just cos I need a bit of a boost 1st thing or I don't eat breakfast!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2004, 03:42 PM   #8  

Drinking hotwater with lemon squeezed into it, in the morning, before meals, is a great bowel cleanser. Drinking water with a little lemon juice squeezed into it, cleans out the kidneys, so it does have some health related benefits.
Closed Thread