Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 10:32 AM   #1  

Default How smart is Kellogg's Smart Start?

Has anyone tried Kellogg's Smart Start? I love it but I'm not great when it comes to understanding labels and it tastes a little sweet so I'm wondering if I should be eating something else for breakfast. There's also Smart Start with Soy and Smart Start with Antioxidants but I've just been eating the regular kind. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2004, 11:39 AM   #2  
it's always something

I don't think it's as smart as the name leads you to believe. Smart Start has 14 grams of sugar per 1 cup serving. Depending on what type of diet you follow, that may be way too much. Otherwise, it does contain a lot of whole grains and is enriched with vitamins. A lot of people prefer something like Kashi, though I think it tastes like twigs. You might try mixing the Smart Start with another type of whole grain cereal, to lessen the amount of sugar per serving.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:32 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Personally I now find any cereal just too processed... I just eat large flake oatmeal by Quaker Oats, add some ground flax, some almonds sometimes, and it tastes much better than those other cereals...but I have very bizarre taste... just ask my family!...
Old 04-13-2004, 05:29 PM   #4  

I like All-Bran, which comes in low on the Glycemic Index, but I also eat Special K on days when I can't stomach anything heavy-- I sometimes have to force myself to eat breakfast. But Uncle Sam cereal is my favorite, it's got real staying power. I like oatmeal, but I'm usually too lazy to cook it. I have a box of Kashi, the kind you cook, but I've never opened it. Now I'll have to give it a taste test, and see if Suzanne is right!
Old 04-13-2004, 09:58 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Cool

I don't cook my oatmeal anymore either I just let it sit there and soak up the milk... I know I'm strange...
Old 04-13-2004, 11:09 PM   #6  

Lanaii-- I can see how that could work, especially if it were those "one minute" oats, since they are already a little precooked, parboiled, maybe? I wouldn't mind trying that, although I get complaints from "down under" if I give it too much heavy work early on. It's as if I don't have any stomach acid in the a.m. or something.

Another quick breakfast is just whole grain toast with fat-free cream cheese and the new low-sugar spread. That plus a glass of milk and maybe a piece of fruit. I also tried some breakfast burritos and roll-ups, but the rice and bean combo is a little heavy.

Of course, I guess you could make your own granola. That would be better than Smart Start, which I agree is very sweet and not too flavorful. Does anybody have a good granola recipe?
Old 04-14-2004, 06:43 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Cool

I find that my oatmeal soaked in milk taste like granola, without all the added fats and sugars. I use the large oat flakes because it is less processed...This is absolutely an acquired taste, I can't say that a couple of years ago or even last year I LOVED this as much as I do now. But it just isn't starting the morning off right if I don't have my concoction of granola and flax with an eggwhite omelette after taking my shower...... I can't wait to eat it in about an hour...

Last edited by Lanaii1; 04-14-2004 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:12 PM   #8  

I love the long cooking oats soaked in Soy Milk overnight. I then add 2-Tbs. yogurt, 1/2 apple chopped, and 1-Tbs. slivered almonds. It's sooooo good!!!
Old 04-24-2004, 09:57 AM   #9  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

Lanaai1 : i had heard that soaking the oatmeal in milk, then adding drizzle honey, fresh fruit whatever you wanted was yummy, was a little skeptical but i think i am going to give it a try. all i have in house though is the qiuck cook kind.

Suzanne, lol i have a box of kashi go lean that i just can't seem to eat, it sure does taste twiggy, lol but it does fillme up, of course i have only eaten 2 bowls it just sits there.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:31 AM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Lastimeacharm -- that sounds yummy I may try that....This week I discovered that almonds are a "red light" food for me... I bought a bag last week and it's gone ... So I may omit the almonds ....

Heather -- I came upon this way of eating oatmeal because I found that in the summer it's just too hot out to eat hot cereal... And I figured it would be like a granola cereal...well now I'm hooked....
Old 04-24-2004, 03:05 PM   #11  

I am due for a snack soon and it is sounding yummy to me. gonna try it will let you know if i get hooked too. almonds huh, lol mine are pistachios
Old 04-27-2004, 03:43 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 192/175/145

Height: 5' 3"

Apparently I am the freak-I love Kashi Go Lean, twigs and all. I also eat Shredded Wheat with Bran, but it is sometimes too heavy at 5 am! Any other non cereal, non oatmeal suggests to fill you up for 3-4 hours in the morning?
Old 04-27-2004, 08:32 AM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Pools-- Eggwhite omelette keeps me full for a few hours but I also have oatmeal with it....
Old 04-27-2004, 10:14 AM   #14  

Lanaii1: you made a convert outta me. no more cooking oatmeal. yummy.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:28 AM   #15  
Ilene the Bean

Heather that's awesome!!! Happy to have been of some help!
Closed Thread