3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   quick breakfast ideas (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/3351-quick-breakfast-ideas.html)

Chilli 03-21-2001 07:01 PM

Hi, I work 10 hours a day, have about 20 minutes in the morning to get ready to go to work, (unless I get up earlier than I already do) and am looking for a quick (or take along) good breakfast idea. I am not a cereal eater. I can do smoothies, eggs, muffins, oatmeal, but don't have time for eggs or oatmeal usually. Muffins and O.J. are my usual breakfast and I usually take it to work and eat at about 8:30 or 9 am, I go to work at 7 am. Anyone got any suggestions????? I am open. Thanks,

dmarkey 03-22-2001 12:12 AM

Quick breakfasts

Here's a couple quick ones that I like.

Boil your 1 egg (2 points) or [use 3 eggs whites which I think is 1 point] the day before. Then add 2 T. of non or low-fat cream cheese (1 point) and mash it together. Put on 2 slices on low calorie toast (1 point) The protein really sticks with me.

Take a fat free tortilla (2 points ), spread 1 T of Better N P'nut Butter (1 point), 1 banana (2 points). Roll it up like a burrito.

How about a cup of sugar free and fat free yogurt (2 points). You could add some chunks of fruit.

Diane

Scuttle 03-22-2001 07:35 AM

Quick breakfasts

I eat 250-400 calorie breakfasts, so my breakfast ideas might be bigger than you're looking for. Here's some things that I try:
  • Peanut butter and jelly sandwich with light peanut butter on Wonder Light bread, about 330 calories.
  • Grilled cheese with two 2% cheese slices on Wonder Light bread, grilled in 1T light margarine. About 230 calories. Usually I add a small glass of OJ with this one. (And you can make it for as few as 110 calories, I think, if you light bread and a single no-fat cheese slice, and grill it with just a cooking spray, no margarine.)
  • Gardenburger with a 2% cheese slice on a hamburger bun, with a few low-cal condiments/veggies. About 275 calories. Usually I'll add a glass of OJ.
  • Cereal, something with a lot of fiber because that fills me up better, with 1/2 cup skim milk, and a bit of sugar. Sometimes I add fruit to it, or separately. Sometimes I'll heat up a breakfast patty (like sausage, kinda, but lower-cal and vegetarian). 250-350 calories, depending on if I add fruit/patty to it.
  • Pancakes! I love the Aunt Jemina high-fiber, low fat pancakes. They're about 300 calories with light syrup and light margarine. I sometimes add OJ, fruit, or a breakfast patty.
  • Blueberry waffle is another toaster favorite of mine. About 175 calories with light syrup and light margarine. Sometimes I eat two. Usually I add something else to it.
  • Clif bar is a recent new try of mine. I find it works well in the morning, is definitely portable, and has a good mix of nutrients to fuel my morning. They're about 230-250 calories. For fewer calories, try the Luna Bars. I think they're at or under 200.
  • Toast is boring, but sometimes I'm in the mood for it. Two slices topped with honey, cinammon sugar, or jelly ends up being about 250 calories. Usually I'll add OJ.
  • Breakfast smoothie, either store-bought or homemade. For homemade I toss in a sliced banana, a handful of frozen berries/fruit, and 1/2 cup milk. Blend, adding 6 or so ice cubes to desired consistency. Add about 1T honey and serve. It's about 250 calories, makes about 20-24 ounces, depending.
  • Light ice cream! Er... but don't tell mom that. ;) It's in my food log for this month, though. I actually think it was the morning after my wisdom teeth extractions, but I still do it some other times. I'll add something like a veggie patty for protein, or fruit for vitamins, along with it.

Chilli 03-22-2001 08:39 AM

Quick Breakfast Ideas

Those are all good ideas. I am going to work on some of those, I thought about english muffins with honey butter too. That sounds good right now. I just started weight watchers and am having some difficulties working with the points system. Seems like alot of food to eat. LOL. I guess I shouldn't be complaining. Oh well.Thanks for the ideas.

susan_tx 03-22-2001 02:31 PM

My favorite breakfast is 2 duncan hines 100% bran muffins. I buy the mix and substitute egg beaters and applesauce for the oil. The muffins are one point each for a full size muffin. I also each ff yougart with it. I teach kindergarten so I eat breakfast about nine a.m.
These muffins freeze very well.

Scuttle 03-23-2001 07:34 AM

Fake Egg McMuffin, veggie style

I was thinking this would take a while to prepare, but it didn't. Basically I used a light English muffin (toasted), 1/4 cup Egg Beater (scrambled), 1 veggie breakfast patty (or light sausage patty for you meat eaters), and a 2% cheese slice. It ended up being a little under 300 calories, since I added a dab of light margarine to the muffin. Mmm. It was good!

I thought it'd take a long time to fix, but it didn't. Basically I set the pan on the burner on medium, and collected all the ingredients. Sliced the muffin and started it in the toaster, and started the breakfast patty in the microwave (it takes under a minute to cook). The pan was hot enough to cook the egg then. I slopped it on a plate and by then the muffin and patty were done. Buttered the muffin, piled on the egg and breakfast patty, topped with cheese, and in under five minutes, start to finish, it was done! The cheese melted wonderful by the time I sat down to eat it.

Here's a comparison:
  • McDonald's Sausage McMuffin with Egg and Cheese contains 490 calories, 32 g total fat, 12 g saturated fat, 22 g protein, and unknown (but doubtlessly low) fiber
  • Homemade equivalent (with veggie breakfast patty instead of sausage) contains 280 calories, 9 g total fat, 3 g saturated fat, 7 g fiber, 24 g protein

trixiepup 03-28-2001 07:14 PM

i don't care much for oatmeal, but my roomie loves it.
she gets the instant oatmeal and puts it in one of those car cups and adds the water (more than recommended, i think, cuz it's really watery). then she just drinks it out of the cup...perfect if you eat while driving.

i'd always make a quesadilla for breakfast...you can microwave them pretty quickly.

you can also get some power bar type things and have that...but they get kind of tiresome after awhile. the luna bars are really good....i had the nutz for chocolate and it's like a rice krispie treat with chocolate that is not as sweet. very yummy, and a lot healthier than a candy bar.

andrea

fruitface 03-29-2001 12:03 PM

I love breakfast

All the ideas so far R fabulous. I also like the Orowheat Whole Wheat Bagels (kinda hard to find) 3 points for the whole thing. I like to toast it & put the Brummel & Brown fruit butter on it. Yum Yum

Go Lean bars are great too! About 5 points. You can order them from kashi.com - I also love eating dry cereal like Kashi Go Lean with some dried craisins. Lots of fiber and it keeps me full all morning. I can toss it in my purse - in a ziplock bag.

Let's do lunch next!

Chilli 03-30-2001 09:16 AM

Breakfast

I agree, all these ideas are great. I have tried some of them and everything I have tried I have liked. I
I tried the burrito,p.b. and banana, and that is great. It keeps me going most of the morning.
I also tried the boiled egg and cream cheese toast and that was really good too. Only thing about that
is it is kind of dry. I just drank o.j. with it and it was good. I am working on eating more in the morning, so I
can make it til lunch. I also found a great raisin bran muffin mix, you add veggie oil, honey and 1 ege
it is really good and not dry and chewy like some of them are. This one is nice and moist. Well, gotta
get going. Thanks for the ideas. Lunch sounds good. I mostly do salads and veggies for lunch. Leave
most of my points for supper. At least that iswhat I try to do. It doesn't always work tho. Thanks for
all the ideas.

Chilli 03-30-2001 09:19 AM

Chilli

You would think I did not know how to type or spell. That last one was terrible. LOL. Oh well, Thanks anyway for all the help. You have been a big help. When I weighed in at ww this week I had lost 5# WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Chilli 03-30-2001 09:24 AM

Chilli

You would think I did not know how to type or spell. That last one was terrible. LOL. Oh well, Thanks anyway for all the help. You have been a big help. When I weighed in at ww this week I had lost 5# WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!

Girlie 03-30-2001 09:37 PM

Hi, Chilli

The muffins sound great! Can I suggest using apple sauce instead of the oil and fat free egg whites or a substitute instead of the eggs? The fat would be cut way down that way and it would still make a hearty breakfast! Congrats on the 5# gone!!!

~Girlie~

sunsmile 04-03-2001 04:42 PM

Here's what I often eat for breakfast:

* 2 waffles with low fat cream cheese (I use Philadelfia flavored low fat kind (strawberry, blueberry flavored, etc.) because I don't see much difference in taste between regular and lowfat flavored cream cheese, but I hate lowfat unflavored cream cheese)

or

* 1 bagel with low fat flavored cream cheese

or

* 2 waffles with jam

or

* low fat cottage cheese mixed with jam

That does not seem like a lot of variety, but it's been working fine for me because I don't have time to cook in the morning....

sunsmile 04-04-2001 10:25 AM

what I ate today for breakfast:

toast (put 2 slices of white bread in a toaster) with thin layer of apricot preserves

+

cup of Nestle "extra rich chocolate flavor" cocoa (this hot chocolate is not as fattening as it sounds - it only has 120 cal / 3 g of fat) :)

Girlie 04-10-2001 07:48 PM

Hearty B-Fast

I had a veggie burger today. Many are 1-2pts...just throw it in the microwave with an english muffin or lite bread and even a slice of 1pt cheese..dill slices, a bit of ketchup/mustard, lettuce...a quick, hearty 2-3pt breakfast...

Girlie

di4chat2 04-14-2001 12:09 AM

veggie burger

Can anyone recommend a good brand of veggie burger? I have always had a hard time trying something like that. But I really want to try it. Also just a tip, if we could tell the best brand of what we are suggesting in our posts and where we get them that would help me out alot. Thanks, been having fun reading all the posts.
Diana :)

cherrycupcake 04-17-2001 07:13 PM

2 slices of warm toast with 4 tsps of cold marmalade ....mmmm....lovely!!!

240cals/1.5gfat

JustSusie 04-27-2001 11:32 PM

Hello everyone. I just wanted to share that they have low fat muffin mixes and it is something fast to grab for breakfast. If you are doing WW I think they come out to 2 points each. The vegie burgers I have used the morning something LOL and I make a little honey mustard dressing for on it. I personally dont treat a vegie burger like beef burger but we are all different :-) Thank heavens. Oh I am tired and heading to bed i hope this makes sence. We are all worth the fight.
Sue