Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 03:44 PM   #1  

Default junk food fridge in need of change

Hi, I am new not only to the board but also dieting. Before I confuse everyone let me explain. I had an eating problem in High school and the first semester of college. It took me a long time to realize the problem was more about me not liking myself and not that I wanted to binge and purge. Because of my earlier issues with food, I have tried to stay away from dieting and focused on learning to love myself.

I was in the hospital a few weeks back and realized once again, that I have allowed myself to become unhealthy. I am 23 5'0 and 175. Since then I have stopped smoking and have joined this board to learn better ways to eat and get myself into better shape.

Which brings me to my topic point.

My husband has always been the main cook and food shopper in the house. He loves high carb high fat foods. My fridge is full of the stuff. So I was wondering what do you buy? The only times I remember going to the grocery stores by myself is to get a gallen of milk or to hit the deli!

I have no idea what is the best things to buy or how to figure out the freshest fruit. So if you were to fill my fridge what would you put in there?
Old 09-03-2003, 04:53 PM   #2  

I love to grocery shop, or any kind of shopping! Here's what I buy on a regular basis:

Lots of fresh veggies, for salads: lettuce, spinach, cukes, tomatoes, onions, etc.

Lots of fresh fruit: nectarines, bananas, apples, etc.

Low fat cheese, low cal. breads, dill pickles, deli-select meats, high fibre cereals (Kashi Go-Lean Crunch, Spoon Size Shredded Wheat) canned veggies, frozen meals like Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, boneless-skinless chicken breasts, try the low calorie salad dressings to begin with, the fat-free ones can be nasty-same with cheeses! Canned baked beans, yogurt, canned fruit that's in it's own juice, V-8 juice

For snacks I like: Fat Free Pringles, Slim Fast Bars, Fat Free Pudding Cups with Cool Whip Free, Pretzels, Quaker Quakes, diet sodas, YooHoo Lite, Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches

Hope this helps ya out...best of luck, if I lived nearer to you I'd love to shop with you!
Old 09-03-2003, 05:57 PM   #3  

I love fruit but never know how to pick them out. I always end up getting the presliced stuff which can get spendy. Can you give me adive on picking fruit?

I love melons, peaches and plums.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:18 AM   #4  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

My advice on picking fruit is to pick fruit you like, and will eat. It goes bad so quickly.

I like fruit for snacks. Bananas, apples, berries, etc. Also bags of carrots & Kashi TLC (tasty lil crackers)

I fill up on whole grains--brown rice, whole wheat pasta, high fiber breads, crackers & cereals. They fill you up for less calories.

Reduced fat cheese is good, I also like Veggie Slices. 1% milk is good too. The fat in milk is the good for you kind, so there is little to no difference between skim & 1%.

Chips & salsa is a good snack. So are baby carrots & fruit & crackers.
Closed Thread