Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 12:08 PM   #1  

Question turkey burger tips

My boyfriend and I eat a great deal of turkey burgers. Recently I found a great recipe for a "make your own" baja turkey burger. The problem is, I cannot get the meat to stay together enough to cook on a regular grill, it only works on the george forman. I have tried egg whites, but no luck. Any ideas?
Old 06-09-2003, 12:35 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

How about using oatmeal as a binder? (dry oatmeal that is!).
Old 06-09-2003, 04:12 PM   #3  
Mama to 3 Little Monkeys

S/C/G: 232/161.4/125

Height: 5ft 3 1/2inch

I make the patties in advance and chill them. For some reason the chilled meat stays together better.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

My husband is dead set against turkey burgers. I say they are healthier and cheaper...he says the consistancy is all wrong. I was thinking of a compromise of ground beef mixed in with turkey. When I suggested it to him, he balked. So...any ideas?
Old 08-22-2003, 03:54 PM   #5  
Mama to 3 Little Monkeys

S/C/G: 232/161.4/125

Height: 5ft 3 1/2inch

Sorry but your husband is wrong. :-) They are not wrong, just different, just like buffalo burgers are different for pork or beef burgers.

Don't have any suggestions for you. My husband is very open minded. Actually at home I only make turkey burgers. If my husband wants a beef burger then he has to get it when we go out for dinner. Which he does not mind at all.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:05 PM   #6  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Buy them already made.

The Turkey Store/Jennie-O's Onion & Garlic are the bomb! No brainer & they taste great!
Old 08-24-2003, 09:11 PM   #7  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally posted by FrugalChick
My husband is dead set against turkey burgers. I say they are healthier and cheaper...he says the consistancy is all wrong. I was thinking of a compromise of ground beef mixed in with turkey. When I suggested it to him, he balked. So...any ideas?
You can mix half turkey/half beef. I do it all the time for Sloppy Joes when I take them to work for a potluck.

The thing to remember about turkey is, it's BLAND, so you will have to add seasonings that you like, ie Mrs Dash, Morton's Natural Seasonings, garlic powder, chili powder, whatever you guys like. The other thing you can mix into turkey to make burgers is dry salad dressing mixes, like Good Seasons Italian, Hidden Valley Ranch, Lipton's Onion dip mix, etc. Have fun w/it; try different stuff til you find whatever works for you.

My Sloppy Joe recipe:

1# lean ground beef
1# lean ground turkey
1 can Manwich Bold
1 can Manwich normal

Brown & drain beef & turkey together, drain off all fat, using several paper towels after pouring the fat into a jar. Following Manwich instructions, pour everything into the crockpot or slow cooker & let sit @ 3 until lunchtime.

Everyone loves this & no one can tell it's half turkey.
Closed Thread