3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Frozen Cauliflower Rice at Trader Joes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/307932-frozen-cauliflower-rice-trader-joes.html)

Vickie Chickie 01-22-2016 02:38 AM

Frozen Cauliflower Rice at Trader Joes

SCORE!

I've been reading Munchy's comments on making and using cauliflower rice and it's had me curious. Hubby and I both don't really care for cauliflower that much. We'll eat it raw but that's about it. Still though the idea of a healthy rice sub has me hooked.

I was wandering thru Trader Joes tonite and heard a clerk direct a shopper to the frozen Cauliflower rice. I followed her and grabbed a bag!

Since I rarely buy cauliflower I don't know if the price was good or not - it was (I think) $1.99 for a 12 oz bag. I consider this the lazy woman's way to test something that sounds interesting. Minimal labor and investment for the test drive. If I love it, I'll make it from now on gladly. And if we hate it, it goes back to TJs for a refund!

Munchy 01-22-2016 01:38 PM

Yay! Try it as fried rice first!

Vickie Chickie 01-22-2016 03:42 PM

Ohhhh - great suggestion! I think I saw a recipe the other day that looked good.

I'm also thinking of trying it as the rice in a stuffed bell pepper soup that we love. It's raining today so it's soupy kind of weather :chef:

love2b150 01-22-2016 04:28 PM

Vickie, that is why I tried it, its the best and so less time consuming .... Huge thumbs up!! :)

Munchy that's exactly what I used it for :)

Walmart has the Green Giant steam-able Crumbles that I used to make mock potato salad. :drool:

Tai 01-25-2016 02:09 PM

I love cauliflower and want to try this so much but my TJ's has been out of it every time I've stopped by! This madness must stop.

Vickie Chickie 01-25-2016 02:47 PM

Tai, maybe check the customer service desk and see when they have deliveries scheduled? I have pretty good luck with my Trader Joes in that regard. They don't just off-handedly tell you they get shipments every day. They'll take the time to look up the specific item and know whether or not it's coming in.

I'll say this was a winner for me. I actually preferred it over the rice we normally use in the soup. It had a lot more crunch and not a strong cauliflower taste. The only downside to me was when cooking it before hand there was definitely the aroma of cooking cauliflower. It's a smell I'm not overly fond of.

I think my next experiment with it will be red beans and rice. My husband makes a killer red beans and rice but we don't do it that often because of the rice. I suspect we'll probably continue to eat rice occasionally as a small side but the cauli-rice is a definite win for adding to a soup.

love2b150 01-25-2016 05:38 PM

Vickie, keep us posted on the red beans and cauli-rice. I'd love to know before hand what you thought. Also I do agree with you on the smell. My son came in from work and said what's that smell :lol:

Tai 01-26-2016 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vickie Chickie (Post 5233418)
Tai, maybe check the customer service desk and see when they have deliveries scheduled? I have pretty good luck with my Trader Joes in that regard. They don't just off-handedly tell you they get shipments every day. They'll take the time to look up the specific item and know whether or not it's coming in.

I'll say this was a winner for me. I actually preferred it over the rice we normally use in the soup. It had a lot more crunch and not a strong cauliflower taste. The only downside to me was when cooking it before hand there was definitely the aroma of cooking cauliflower. It's a smell I'm not overly fond of.

I think my next experiment with it will be red beans and rice. My husband makes a killer red beans and rice but we don't do it that often because of the rice. I suspect we'll probably continue to eat rice occasionally as a small side but the cauli-rice is a definite win for adding to a soup.

Thank you so much for this suggestion Vickie! I will definitely ask on my next trip.

Vickie Chickie 01-26-2016 01:51 PM

Lovetobe150 - as of right now, it's on the menu for Thursday. :D I'll keep you posted.

I totally understand your son's reaction to the smell. Not pleasant I tell ya!

love2b150 01-26-2016 05:19 PM

Thanks Vickie, looking forward to it :)

Vickie Chickie 02-01-2016 01:25 AM

So the verdict is in and it's equally good as rice in the red beans and rice. Again, actually even better IMO. I really like the texture better in soup kind of dishes. There's a bit more body to the cauli-rice than regular rice.

The downside here is that Red Beans and Rice is still gonna be a rare meal. It's an absolute sodium BOMB and fairly carby as well because of the beans. We do use a fairly low-cal chicken sausage from Trader Joes but it's still high in sodium as are the spices he uses. Ahhhh well, it was still delish!

I think my next experiment with the cauli-rice will be stuffed bell peppers.

love2b150 02-03-2016 01:49 PM

Thanks Vickie, I may just give it a try. I steer clear of rice as much as possible. As far as the sodium goes I'm gonna take into account the fiber that I really need ;) I have only had stuffed peppers once as a kid and I hated them (I also hated green peppers but now eat them). I wonder if I'd like stuffed peppers now?

You should post your recipes for both, please and thank you :D

guacamole 02-03-2016 04:06 PM

Hi! I tried the Green Giant cauliflower crumbles today, and I didn't realize how quickly they cook in comparison to whole cut up cauliflower! I started out with a whole pan, and ended up with one little crispy bowl full (I like to roast mine with a little sea salt, pepper, paprika, and olive oil. I'll have to keep in mind a much shorter cooking time next time I make this.

Jan M 02-03-2016 04:53 PM

Wow! You lot over the pond certainly have a better variety of food than us Brits! I just heard about minced up cauliflower to put into the microwave and make "rice",_the other day on the TV. I have to do my grocery shopping online so decided to get a bag of frozen cauliflower (I live on my own). Any ideas how I could turn frozen cauliflower into cauliflower rice?

love2b150 02-03-2016 06:05 PM

guacamole, I bought two bags the first I over cooked and ended up putting it in a soup. The second was perfect for my salad :)

Jan I would probably google that. But I would try - defrost it, rice it and steam for a very small amount of time, just my thoughts though :)