3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Shakes/Smoothies (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/307315-shakes-smoothies.html)

OldsGal 12-03-2015 11:02 AM

Shakes/Smoothies
 
Hey all,

I currently drink a shake around mid morning as a pick me up/snack. I actually really look forward that the shake and I feel it gives me energy and helps my appetite immensely. The one I currently use is Right Size Smoothie the Chocolate flavor. It is about $23.00 for a canister. Including the milk it is 180 calories total for 8 ounces. I love the grab and go convenience of throwing some milk and powder in a blender bottle and going out the door.

So anyone else use powders to make a quick smoothie and like their powder? I have always in search of something that might taste even better or be more price competitive or more nutrient dense. I have tried Isa8gen1x after a coworker touted how amazing they tasted and took one sip and gagged on it. It tasted awful and was way too thick. I tried a few more swallows of it just to prove to myself that it truly was nasty. And Isa8gen1x is really expensive too.

I know a lot of people tell me I should make my own smoothies but I don't like them. I have tried a ton of different recipes that people have said to try and I just don't like them. Besides making your own smoothies is not a grab and go option. It takes too much time to measure out a list of 10 ingredients and blend them all up trying to get the texture right and then hope that it will store and still be good a few hours later at work.

I have also tried a few that are already bottled up like the special K, slim fast, and carnation shakes. They are pretty gross so I think I am better off with powder and milk and making my own.

howyoulose 12-06-2015 10:27 AM

What kind of powder are you looking at? Like a general weight loss shake powder or a protein powder?

Personally I prefer Perfect Fit, which is only available online (you can google it if you like). It's low in calories so it's more for toning than anything else and it's great for making protein pancakes etc as well.

If you find they're too thick maybe you're not using enough liquid or too much ice? I find shakes are much thinner with almond milk, sometimes milk makes them too thick. Or maybe try using a blender to blend them first?

seaurchin 06-30-2016 07:44 PM

I grab and go from my blender. I use either no fat greek yogurt as a protein source or a protein egg white powder from Jay Robb which is absolutely tasty! good luck in finding something you like!

pizzamonster 10-10-2017 02:55 PM

I dont think these drinks are healthy. Fresh food is always healthier.

JuliaDacy 12-20-2017 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldsGal (Post 5220057)
I know a lot of people tell me I should make my own smoothies but I don't like them. I have tried a ton of different recipes that people have said to try and I just don't like them. Besides making your own smoothies is not a grab and go option. It takes too much time to measure out a list of 10 ingredients and blend them all up trying to get the texture right and then hope that it will store and still be good a few hours later at work.

I don't agree. I do smoothie so often and it takes so less time. I just mix all fruits and veggies, what I have in the kitchen. And I also take it at work, it tastes there well too

PartTimeHippie 04-22-2018 08:24 PM

I finally figured out the secret today: frozen fruit. It took about five minutes to blend some frozen pineapple with blueberry yogurt (the only flavor I had), a little rice milk, a dash of vanilla, a sprinkle of ginger, and a packet of Splenda. It was really tasty -- much better than when I tried to use crushed ice cubes.

mjf 04-22-2018 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PartTimeHippie (Post 5356785)
I finally figured out the secret today: frozen fruit. It took about five minutes to blend some frozen pineapple with blueberry yogurt (the only flavor I had), a little rice milk, a dash of vanilla, a sprinkle of ginger, and a packet of Splenda. It was really tasty -- much better than when I tried to use crushed ice cubes.

If you put fruit in your smoothies, I think it'll probably be sweet enough without the Splenda.

PartTimeHippie 04-23-2018 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjf (Post 5356791)
If you put fruit in your smoothies, I think it'll probably be sweet enough without the Splenda.

Thanks, MJF. Are you a dietician, perhaps? (I notice that you give quite a lot of guidance to others here.) I did not find the smoothie to be overly sweet with the Splenda.

mjf 04-24-2018 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PartTimeHippie (Post 5356887)
Thanks, MJF. Are you a dietician, perhaps? (I notice that you give quite a lot of guidance to others here.) I did not find the smoothie to be overly sweet with the Splenda.

No, I'm not a dietician, but I've spent a lot of time reading about nutrition.

It may take time for your taste to adjust, but you can try cutting down on the Splenda gradually, and after you get used to it, it'll taste sweet enough without the Splenda.

I used to drink sweetened milk a long time ago because I didn't like milk, but I gradually reduced the sugar, and now I can drink normal milk with no problem.

Dreiz 03-04-2019 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldsGal (Post 5220057)
Hey all,

I currently drink a shake around mid morning as a pick me up/snack. I actually really look forward that the shake and I feel it gives me energy and helps my appetite immensely. The one I currently use is Right Size Smoothie the Chocolate flavor. It is about $23.00 for a canister. Including the milk it is 180 calories total for 8 ounces. I love the grab and go convenience of throwing some milk and powder in a blender bottle and going out the door.

So anyone else use powders to make a quick smoothie and like their powder? I have always in search of something that might taste even better or be more price competitive or more nutrient dense. I have tried Isa8gen1x after a coworker touted how amazing they tasted and took one sip and gagged on it. It tasted awful and was way too thick. I tried a few more swallows of it just to prove to myself that it truly was nasty. And Isa8gen1x is really expensive too.

I know a lot of people tell me I should make my own smoothies but I don't like them. I have tried a ton of different recipes that people have said to try and I just don't like them. Besides making your own smoothies is not a grab and go option. It takes too much time to measure out a list of 10 ingredients and blend them all up trying to get the texture right and then hope that it will store and still be good a few hours later at work.

I have also tried a few that are already bottled up like the special K, slim fast, and carnation shakes. They are pretty gross so I think I am better off with powder and milk and making my own.

I used whey protein powder for smoothies. Whey protein is one of the most popular form of protein powders; the dairy derivative lines shelf after shelf in health food stores and supplement shops. Thatís because itís a complete protein, which means it contains all nine essential amino acids, and will stimulate protein synthesis after a workout. Although itís a great option for fitness fanatics, the type and quality of whey varies drastically. If you can stomach whey (some dairy-sensitive people might not be able to), this non-GMO and organic option comes from grass-fed cows, delivering the highest nutrition of whey possible. With 21 grams of protein per serving and just 1 gram of naturally-occurring sugar, it doesnít need much dressing up in the form of a smoothie, but some fresh (or frozen!) fruit and nut milk might make it go down easier.

Linda Kaufman 04-15-2019 05:10 AM

In the words of the author of the theme has its own truth, but still... Smoothies that you make yourself, they are much healthier and tastier even. Here I wildly do not like this taste, these powders are wildly sweet to the taste, I can't drink them. A smoothie with your hands is another matter.

HealthyKris 04-15-2019 08:57 AM

Protein shakes are such a simple way to get nutrition in you, providing that the shake doesn't have artificial sweeteners in it, which are horrible for you.
Look for one that is sweetened with stevia.
Avoid ones that are sweetened with acelfame potassium, sucralose, ….anything ended in "ose" as this is an artificial sweetener..
These artificial sweeteners actually trick your body into wanting more Carbs!!!!! insert an EEK!!!\
Stay away from these!

I'm a Canadian girl so I am not sure if you ladies can find Kaizen or Diesel protein but these are super clean with protein, digestive enzyme and stevia.....3 ingredients, that's it.

JocelynMarie 05-03-2019 08:05 AM

I have been using Sunwarrior chocolate plant based protein powder. It sits better with me than whey protein. And tastes great.

Old Biddy 05-03-2019 08:30 AM

I had forgotten that I liked the SunWarrior shakes (old age, you know ;))

I like the Evolve protein powder but that has added sugar, which I didn't realize when I bought it.

LameGothMom 05-03-2019 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzamonster (Post 5334941)
I dont think these drinks are healthy. Fresh food is always healthier.

No shade, but me when I read this post:

http://media.giphy.com/media/nv78JmGqiebbW/giphy.gif

You can make shakes from fresh ingredients.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:35 PM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.