Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 232/217/145

Height: 5'6"

Question Are you "allergic" to gluten?

I had a skin test for the main food allergies - and everything was okay - several months later I had a blood test that was in great detail. Found out I am allergic to gluten. And wheat, and yeast, and cows milk, cheeses, green beans, corn, white potatoes, etc.
I have "tried" to only eat meat, veggies & fruit. I already avoid potatoes and corn since they convert to sugar. My son has dairy issues so I try to avoid dairy in recipes - I know that I will feel better once I am 100 percent gluten free - but gluten stays in your system for 6 months.
Just curious if anyone else out there is truly "allergic" to gluten?
I am shocked to find out at my age - Although I do have autoimmune issues (thyroid stuff) - and recently learned that most folks with autoimmune diseases would feel so much better if they avoided gluten.

Last edited by chickadee2; 11-13-2014 at 03:31 PM.
chickadee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:04 AM   #2  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I have a friend who was diagnosed celiac about 8 years ago - prior to that they were testing her for everything from lupus to MS. She's the only person I know that is truly allergic to it - and she literally got her life back by avoiding it. Gluten's a funny thing - it seems to me that we aren't yet at the point where tests can ferret out all the responses our bodies produce to substances. I know many, many people who never got a diagnosis of allergy but feel much better when they avoid gluten. I personally am "sensitive" to artificial colors (causes me to put on about 4 pounds of water weight in about 3 hours), but it does not show up on allergy tests. According to "data", I should be able to eat M&Ms. But you can visibly watch me swell if I do.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #3  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

I guess I will never truly know. I had a hunch that I was having trouble with gluten when I slept for 16 hours the day after Thanksgiving. I was tired all the time. I had an unexplainable rash that I would claw at and make myself bleed while I was in my sleep. I went gluten free at the end of January, and the rash was gone, except on occasion where I could pin point trace amounts of gluten.

One time about two months ago, I decided to reintroduce it back into my diet, had it been in my head the whole time? So I ate it, looked pregnant from bloating the next 4 days, and had a horrible rash on the back of my neck. So now I refuse to put myself through a gluten challenge and am just going to continue to do gluten free.

I also have trouble with corn in excess. I can't do oats.

Last edited by DrivenByAmbition; 11-16-2014 at 09:01 AM.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #4  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
I have a friend who was diagnosed celiac about 8 years ago - prior to that they were testing her for everything from lupus to MS. She's the only person I know that is truly allergic to it - and she literally got her life back by avoiding it.
OMG, this describes me to the letter! I was told that I had lupus, after everything else failed. I was fed Prednisone for 8 months straight, a heavy doze. And I gained like 40 pounds. -- I was trying to lose weight, and ate gluten rich foods, and kept getting sicker and sicker. -- Finally I asked for Celiac/gluten testing and mine came positive. So after all gluten was the reason why I was sick. -- Mine got so bad, that I was barely able to walk because of severe joint pain. After I went off gluten, I got my life back like your friend did. For the OP; I, as well, have a thyroid condition; another autoimmune thing.

I have been gluten free for a few years now, and I am so healthy! I barely even get colds.

I did not sub my diet with gluten free products, because they are filled with junk flower. Not healthier for you, as many tend to think; lots of sugar and dense calories. I may have gf pasta once in every other month. Same with bun for my burger. GF products are not part of my diet.

I left bread and pasta world behind. And now after a few years, I don't even even think about missing them. -- Friends always apologize when they eat bread on front of me, and I say I truly don't even want it.

I have lost about 30 pounds. It was tough...a lot easier to put it on. Boy, that Prednisone made me HUNGRY....But with gf diet and I have made progress, slowly.

Most of my family opted gluten free life style and they don't miss bread products either.

Gluten allergy/Celiac is kinda pain the bumm because so many products add gluten as a filler. But I have always cooked from scratch anyways, so I know what goes into my food. -- I have consumed gluten by accident a few times, and it is not fun!

I also, like you (OP) have a milk allergy, a slight one. I can not drink straight milk or eat icecream, but I can eat yogurt and cheese. -- Lately I have been indulging on too much cheese I need to learn to enjoy it in moderation.

Last edited by Sum38; 11-16-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 232/217/145

Height: 5'6"

You know, I never thought "celiac" until I saw the word in your posts - I have not yet met with the wellness coach about my test results - I never thought of it like that - like celiacs. Sadly my husband thinks a lot of my issues are "in my head" - even though I am hypothyroid with hashimotos and now this - I have had brain fog forever - and a very hard time losing weight after kids were born - just now starting to finally lose weight. I had never been over weight until after the kids came along - but I do always feel like I am tired - and I think this explains it - but now the word "celiacs" - do I have that? I have no idea! Now I am anxious to see what this wellness coach says to me about the test results. I also did the adrenal test - and am waiting for those tests too.
chickadee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee2 View Post
I had a skin test for the main food allergies - and everything was okay - several months later I had a blood test that was in great detail. Found out I am allergic to gluten. And wheat, and yeast, and cows milk, cheeses, green beans, corn, white potatoes, etc.
I have "tried" to only eat meat, veggies & fruit. I already avoid potatoes and corn since they convert to sugar. My son has dairy issues so I try to avoid dairy in recipes - I know that I will feel better once I am 100 percent gluten free - but gluten stays in your system for 6 months.
Just curious if anyone else out there is truly "allergic" to gluten?
I am shocked to find out at my age - Although I do have autoimmune issues (thyroid stuff) - and recently learned that most folks with autoimmune diseases would feel so much better if they avoided gluten.
I have to ask...

Was it a medical doctor, or a doctor of alternative medicine who called for the tests?

Because a lot of the alt medicine tests will come up with those results for pretty much everyone.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote