Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Thick soups, stews, and chilis. One cup is usually the perfect amount and ranges from 50-200 calories.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #17  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Eggs and soups. Tomato soup not so much, as I don't think there's enough protein to keep me full I've noticed, but a broth-based soup usually does it for me.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #18  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I LOVE eggplant! I bake it...scrape out the filling and mash it with a fork. Add salt, pepper, a little olive oil and lots of red onions. It is delicious. Add a tablespoon or so of greek yogurt and it's even better...and then you can actually skip the olive oil. I'm gonna make some today!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #19  

Grapefruit, Broccoli, Cayenne and chicken breasts.
Water.
Spark.

33# since Aug 18th.
I'd swear by those foods.
ANTICAKECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #20  

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5'5.5"

Thank you all for the great ideas. I will be trying some more.
I like shiritaki miracle rice in puréed, cooked cauliflower, chicken stock, mustard powder and onion sauce - tastes like risotto...
FitFatForty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 1/1/18/ 202/169/126

Height: 5'3 3/4"

EV Coconut Oil
Mossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #22  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've recently jumped on the Oatmeal train. I have it for breakfast nearly every morning now.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #23  
Truffle Queen

S/C/G: 302/260.8/150

Height: 5'8"

This may sound strange, but my go-to food when I hit a plateau is vanilla ice cream. I don't know what it is about that food, but when I'm in a rut I eat a single serving of that and my weight starts moving down again. It's quite bizarre.
PinkTaffeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #24  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Tart cherry juice. Specifically, a quart.

Calories in, calories out is one way to diet.

Food in, sh!t out is another way.

And a quart of tarty cherry really does make you sh!t.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:01 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 255/225/140

Height: 5"4'

Talking Coconut Oil

Is coconut oil interchangeable with evo or canola?
Snickbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 240/240/140

Height: 5'3"

I just bought a "Vegetti". Anyone tried it? Kind of a pain and cuts up my hand, but lets see how it works.
clarkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkie View Post
I just bought a "Vegetti". Anyone tried it? Kind of a pain and cuts up my hand, but lets see how it works.
I have a paderno spiralizer and I probably use it at least once a week for the past two years.

If you're looking for recipes, www.inspiralized.com is a great resource!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 262/ 218/ 175

Height: 5'4

cottage cheese with sugar free jello
oatmeal with peanut butter
omelette
greek yogurt
Special K Protein cereal
pizza made on a whole wheat pita pocket
sukale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:04 AM   #29  

Finding high fiber, nutritious, low calorie, very tasty filling foods were a challenge for me also. At first I just tried eating less of whatever I wanted but that quit working after losing 50 lbs. Then I had to change foods.

On my list so far with my favorites first... Okra. Squash, summer. Squash, winter. Mushroom. These can be cooked by themselves or with the others here, or with other vegetables.

I quite often make a large amount of a mix of squash, okra, mushroom cooked with tomato. Fresh, canned or both, or a sauce. Or they can be cooked into a pasta sauce and used on a bed of pasta or brown rice. Or brown rice mixed into it. Many many many ways to cook these very filling low calorie nutritious items and make them extremely tasty by using onion, green onion, celery, for added flavor, and seasonings such as coriander, different chilies, oregano, cumin, garlic etc.

They go great with a meat or meat of several types go well in them, such as chicken, pork and beef. I usually just eat them veggie. A cup of the above mix without the rice or meat is about 30 calories per cup.

Cucumber. Usually just a cucumber sliced and sprinkled with a chili-lime-salt type condiment made for putting on fruit, such as Valintino, Tejin, Trechas. Sometimes I add a cubed tomato or/and other mushroom/squash/orka with it. One cucumber will often keep me satisfied for 3 hours or more and is only 20 calories ! You could use a low calorie dressing instead, but my favorite is the chili condiments.

Saurkraut (home made, fermented, uncooked) by itself or with something, such as beans or rice. One cup 20 calories. And home made is very different than store-bought stuff. Very cheap and easy to make.

Seasonings, and first on that list is tomato, green tomato, green chilies, (jalapeno, serrano. Dried chilies.. Chili de arbol, japanese chilies, korean chili (used to make kimchi) which is used as a condiment. And cumin, cilandro, coriander, oregano, marjoram are my favorites along with the chilies. But different tastes can be made by using different spices such as curry powder, which will lend an Asian or Indian flavor to the foods.

Brown rice. Goes with so many things, is great by itself or mixes into many dishes superbly. It is 220 calores per cup of cooked though.

Beans. My favorite is pinto. But all dry beans cooked are about 220 calories per cup. I eat a lot of these, almost every day and sometimes more than once per day. Eaten with plenty of chili spices for me.

Eggs. Large eggs are only 74 calories (compare this to 100 calories for a slice of bread or tortilla. Or a bagel for 240 calories not including any spread you put on it! Or 120 calories for buttered toast. A one cup bowl of brown rice or beans with two large eggs would be a filling 290 calories.

These are my mainstays and work well for me. So many blends/mixtures for cooking them to make a nice variety of high fiber nutritious filling low calorie meals.

And you could also get into chinese cooking using the bok choy, bean sprouts etc... Many low calorie nutritious things out there for you.

Good luck with yours

B F R
Big Fat Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:00 AM   #30  

I make fairly large smoothies between 90 and 230 calories. I'm not sure if they're entirely filling (least the berry smoothies anyway) as much as they just take a really, really long time to drink because of the thickness. Takes me about an hour, sometimes an hour and fifteen minutes to drink a full smoothie. I tend to stick to strawberries, blueberries, and cherries with smoothies then I add some sort of tea and maybe a non frozen fruit/veggie like bananas. By far the most filling smoothies are with bananas or dates. So many carbs, so much fiber!

(I don't think about food for hours after drinking a date smoothie... which is why I don't make them anymore.)

Last edited by BlackBoxed; 01-20-2015 at 03:02 AM.
BlackBoxed is offline   Reply With Quote