Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #16  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

Cheers to the advice! I so far haven't worried about it too terribly much or attempted to make too many changes. I still fit it in with my calories, but only one cup (The two yesterday was a tad much so I made a different dinner than I had planned). I'm thinking when I hit my plateau (which always happens to me) I will start making the less sugar in coffee, more water, and a more strict health diet. I'll certainly try honey and perhaps the half and half when I get to that point. Currently, I'm just trying to get in more veggies and fruits and staying within my calories I don't "eat back" calories from exercise. But I do run, as I know that helps me with stress, motivation, depression, and it makes me feel like a warrior when I run. It really does.

Also, weird thing, you can totally cook eggs in the microwave. I prefer oven, but my ex-room mate use to just drop 2 eggs in a cup, mix them all up, she added milk and some butter then just stuck it in the microwave for breakfast. I thought it was weird and avoided it until one day, when I use to work retail at a chocolate factory, I didn't have a lunch and we had some eggs for baking brownies in the back. My boss allowed us to eat "what ever" we wanted. I would eat the strawberries and nuts to avoid the chocolates but sometimes would chow down on truffles. ANYWAY, my boss said it was ok for me to eat some eggs, so I microwaved them (no butter or milk) and was pleasantly surprised. It was lunch 1 or 2 more times after that for those special days.

Yesterdays Snacks:

Planned:
22 Whole wheat mini crackers for 140 calories
2 TBL Original Hummas for 50 calories

Unplanned:
Glass of Tampernillo Red Wine - 106 calories
Total Snack Calories: 296

The wine was because my Fiance finally bought me an engagement ring. It's lovely! Sapphire with diamonds on the sides and white gold. I can't stop staring at it!
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:02 AM   #17  
maintaining since 9/2013

Congratulations, kurisitaru!

I usually pretend that my snacks are part of a meal.

1 TBS chia seeds, not related to hunger but just trying them out.

Evening:
+1
chicken thigh
blueberries
2 walnut halves
+3

I just sat through the movie Fed Up, which is about the obesity epidemic among kids. I think because it centered on food, I felt hungry.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #18  
maintaining since 9/2013

WellIi went to town with walnuts last night, just before bed. I overslept as a result, but maybe that's what was needed. I need to pay more attention to the hunger scale.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #19  
maintaining since 9/2013

Yes, I'm not sure I can manage nuts. I think they are filling but it requires eating them slowly and waiting a bit. I just now counted out 10 walnut halves to bring to work and I can barely stand the sight of them after last night. Hopefully I had my fill of binging on them!

Overall I feel well physically on low carb, low fat, highish protein, but mentally I get grumpy and foggy-brained, so need to figure out a good regimen of carbs & fats that don't trigger craving & binging. I don't really love walnuts all that much so maybe they will work out in the long run. At least I'm motivated to get to the gym today!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #20  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

A few slices of cucumbers and a few green olives
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #21  
maintaining since 9/2013

chocolate whey shake, cucumbers, 10 walnut halves
Old 07-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #22  
Getting my life back

Didn't check in for a tad here, I'll just do today. Thanks for the congratulations!

Today Snacks:

Planned:
Honey Due Mellon 1/2 cup roughly: 37 Calories

Total Snack Calories: 37

Hmmm... I had a yummy lunch and dinner and decent breakfast, but I've only had 952 calories today. I feel fine... perhaps I'll find something else to eat later. Or Take this time to indulge on some wine.... Need some calories though, at least 250. Maybe I'll boil some eggs or something. After a run I might be more hungry. If not, meh...
Old 07-09-2014, 10:43 PM   #23  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
Mars I don't understand how low carb low fat can work. Are you getting sufficient energy from the combo of fat and protein? I know you've been doing this for a lot longer than me, but you shouldn't be getting fog brain which is coming from lack of nutrient to the brain isn't it. It must mean that you are not producing ketones or enough of them and so on. There's something else i read about once that can cause it in some people according to the writer. It was casein for vegetarians or vegans or something like that. I looked into that thoroughly and found out that i should be ok because i was drinking milk. But if you are not drinking milk or eating meat, you could miss out. The woman said taking a supplement fixed her fog brain however it sounds somewhat risky or dangerous if you take in too much of it so i was pleased to find out i didn't need it. So hopefully for you its just a case of not getting enough food energy and that you can rebalance.

Have you tried using the nutrition calculator on the site of phlaunt.com

I haven't had fog brain yet. All i've had is fleeting headachiness which i cure with more water and salty drinks.
Pattience, glad you're managing the water & salts. My WOE works in that I think I must be converting protein to glucose. I read spmewhere that it's a metabolically inefficient process that doesn't spike insulin as much as straight carb in the diet and also yields less energy, ie less calories per gram eaten.

The high protein keeps my hunger stable. Most of the time I function okay but have to eat more frequently than is convenient. I'm used to it, though every now and then binge, so I think my body wants more carb or fat. I have a fat phobia I guess. I'm gradually re-introducing it. Carbs are another story. Sugar and grain just make me starved for more food so I avoid them. Same with quinoa : (

So I guess I I either don't make a lot of ketone or my brain just doesn't run all that well on them and prefers glucose.

Snacks today were 5 walnut halves, then to Costco where I sampled cookie butter on white bread, biscotti, a bite of a morningstar breakfast patty, a single chicken cilantro wonton.

Last edited by mars735; 07-10-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:48 PM   #24  
Call me NNS!

Feta cheese and green olives.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:52 PM   #25  
Getting my life back

I added some hummus and trader joe crackers for 190 calories. Still shy of my goal... but I have some left over Mellon and will snack on that. The reason I care about hitting no less than 1200 isn't just health reasons, but I've had mental issues as well. I use to try not to eat at all, and would be ashamed if I hit my goal, because that wasn't trying hard enough. I got really unhealthy and even did some... sad things... to help. Now, I'm about the health and not starving, and I promised my sister to eat at least 1200 calories a day and not go down that path ever again. So... trying to get there.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:53 PM   #26  
Getting my life back

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameslob View Post
Feta cheese and green olives.
MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm
Old 07-11-2014, 12:42 AM   #27  
maintaining since 9/2013

Pattience, I have same user name on MFP. I did great on low carb with getting to goal weight and body size--fat was gone from places I thought were always going to be fat, eg thighs. My issue with carbs is that when I eat a lot regularly I experience a lot of hunger. I've assumed that I'm over secreting insulin. That's the roller coaster of hunger-eating-insulin-more hunger. At my highest weight, I was eating frequently, yet always hungry. I like the way I feel with low carb, as long as it's not too, too low. Still working on this though, because too low it affects my mood.

I have the Low Carb book you mentioned--time to pull it out and read it! As for glycogen and water molecules, I did not experience this at all when I phased out of ketosis either of the two recent times I did the ketogenic diet. In fact I continued to lose a little weight after bumping up carbs. The explanation provided by my coach (IP) was that my metabolism increased with more calories. A lot of IP folks have reported the same thing--no weight gain or they continued to lose for a bit even though calories, carbs, fats increased.

btw, what's the problem with soy protein, and too much protein? I eat tons of tofu that is made from local, organic, non-GMO soy. I keep hearing that it's bad but have no idea why. I also eat a LOT of chicken. I'm starting to think of replacing some with more fat, but I feel like something is missing if I don't eat a lot of protein. I'm 140-190 g/day on average.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Last edited by mars735; 07-11-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:01 AM   #28  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
I didn't need to snack today. My early big meals really helped.

I"m very much aware that when i increase my carbs there will be an upward whoosh due to the sudden water intake and then also probably a period of adjusting to the need for the body to make new enzymes. Did you calculate all that into your conclusion that you can't cope with carbs? Perhaps one way to be sure would be to have some tests done for insulin resistance and if your results were fine, then you should be able to eat carbs and the rise in the scale is nothing more than water weight.

You see i think there is this risk that people get suckered into their low weight under low carb as a true representation of their weight. But its only true so long as you on low carb. Water in in at least another 4 pounds is sure to come back very fast. And then i don't know how long it takes to adapt back to carbs but there might be some more that one would take on while making that adjustment.

I'm thinking that while i'm adapting to low carb, i must be storing more fat because its not being burnt. So i don't trust my current low weight reading. And when i go back up, unless i stay low for quite a while, i expect most of the weight to come back onto the scale. But i am not going to let it bother me.

I mean i've only got 6 kilos left to lose til goal. And lets say i get to goal on low carb, if i go back up to normal carbs, i know i will no longer be at 60kg. my goal. But i also know i don't want to remain on a low carb diet indefinitely because i don't want to eat this much fish and eggs. I like the cheese and nuts and seeds and vegies of course. But i also want milk and yoghurt. And beans and lentils.

And as i'm not carb intolerant, i believe i can go back to that.
I think your regular diet, as described on 3FC sounded great. You lost a bunch of weight on it and reported that you felt no deprivation, in fact found it rather easy. How did you set you goal weight? I'm pretty skinny at 142 lbs, same height as you. Is you goal weight based on certain body fat/muscle composition? If you are storing fat right now, it's still being reflected in your scale number, isn't it it?

The questions you raise are exactly why I'm flexible about setting a goal weight. I feel well & look about right at 142, size 6. More than the 130-135 I had expected to be my goal. If I add to my muscle mass, I might stay the same size but will weigh more.

[Actually after all the carbs I ate today, I'll be gaining water AND fat. Stress eating due to illness in the family, in which I ate a cheesy baguette at the grocery store note to self, again: NEVER SHOP WHEN HUNGRY! Followed by what-the-heck stop at Trader Joe's to get cookie butter off my bucket list--not that great imho, just tastes like fat, sugar, a little salt.]

Last edited by mars735; 07-11-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #29  
Call me NNS!

A few green olives.

I need to stop buying them. Addictive.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #30  
Getting my life back

Yogurt raisins
An Orange
Unplanned:
2 Bites of Ice cream. It was staring at me!

Today I plan on yogurt raisins and an orange!

(I do eat veggies as well, they are usually a part of my dinner, like veggie soup, or I'll have fish with peas, or chicken cooked with asparagus). Fruits are sweet and yummy, so I tend to snack on that instead of having a candy bar or some gummy worms.