3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Aldi Goes Gluten Free (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/295460-aldi-goes-gluten-free.html)

Novus 05-02-2014 04:59 PM

Aldi Goes Gluten Free

If you have an Aldi supermarket in your area, you should definitely be shopping there. The quality is fantastic and the prices are mind blowing. (For me, the prices are about half of what the other stores charge.)

And if you eat gluten free, there's now even more reasons to love Aldi. They're adding a whole new line of gluten free products - frozen pizza, pasta, wraps, fruit bars, baking mixes, and more! Click here for more info.

I'm so excited to try the new stuff! :broc:

Munchy 05-13-2014 10:46 AM

I have been trying to find a GF wrap that is low in calories for over a year now. Finally - Aldi has one for 110 calories! I no longer have to use the 190 calorie teff wraps from la tortilla factory!

Psychic 05-16-2014 08:17 AM

I saw this in the ad. I'm not gluten-free, but I'll definitely be picking up some of those knockoff Crunchmaster Multigrain crackers.

Jane 05-21-2014 09:31 AM

I'm so happy to read about this, because my young grandson has gluten allergies. Thank you for sharing!

kaplods 05-21-2014 10:51 AM

Unfortunately, when we asked our local store staff, we were told that the gluten free line is a "test run" and the manager did not know if, or when (or which products) will be back, or whether they'll be available in every store if they do come back.

In our store, everything but some of the cookie and cake mixes had sold out.

I'm betting that the test run has already proven successful, and tat most if not all of the tested products will eventually be added permanently into the Aldi stable of brands, but when will be the question.

I'm just hoping the gap between test run and production run will be seamless, or at least only a short wait.

The gluten-free product prices in our area are nearly DOUBLE that of the Aldi prices - in some cases even triple the Aldi prices, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Bellamack 05-21-2014 11:26 AM

which products have you tried?

I had the Tastefully Simple, coconut lime cake (GF) the other day, it was delicious, but it should be for $12. Please post any GF that you tried and loved. Wegmans own brand name of brownies are fabulous :)

Munchy 05-21-2014 03:05 PM

The only things I purchased were the GF wraps and the seeded crackers. The wraps are AWESOME and so my mom and I have been taking turns buying out every single one on the shelf and sharing the wealth. My freezer is full of burritos :)

I tried the seeded crackers last night and they were sweet. I checked the ingredients and they're sweetened. I'll stick with my rice crackers!

Munchy 05-21-2014 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellamack (Post 5007900)
which products have you tried?

I had the Tastefully Simple, coconut lime cake (GF) the other day, it was delicious, but it should be for $12. Please post any GF that you tried and loved. Wegmans own brand name of brownies are fabulous :)

I don't like to buy a lot of gluten free products, but I do buy rice sticks from my local Asian store, and buy low sodium tamari (San-J). Other than that we usually eat mainly vegetables (opting for zucchini noodles and cauli-rice/cauli-couscous), some meat/poultry/seafood, and small amounts of grain in the form of quinoa, sticky rice, and corn tortillas. I also use a mix of food processed corn chex and herbs as my breadcrumbs because it's so cheap and I make squash/chicken nuggets and so many different meatball variations so often.

The Aldi GF wraps are great, though, because they're so low in calories and I made burritos and plan to make a pizza with them sometime soon.

Novus 05-21-2014 05:30 PM

Excited to see so many people interested in and/or buying the GF stuff at Aldi.

The store I went to last weekend had a pretty good selection but I didn't purchase anything. I'm just at a point in my diet where I'm eating primarily low-carb unprocessed food and none of the GF Aldi products fit that criteria.

Shannonsnail 05-21-2014 09:05 PM

I am really happy to see GF items at more affordable prices, I just wish GF meant low carb!

Novus 05-21-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannonsnail (Post 5008180)
I am really happy to see GF items at more affordable prices, I just wish GF meant low carb!

Depending on how low you define low carb, there are quite a lot of things you can do with nut flours, nut butters, bean flours, etc. But if you're doing 10 grams a day, Atkins style, even that wouldn't work for you.