3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Canned fish diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/292970-canned-fish-diet.html)

IanG 02-19-2014 10:19 PM

Canned fish diet

I've googled it. I've looked for it here. And I have looked for it there. But so far, I am the only crazy son b@tch that seems to be trying this long term.

Yep, canned fish for breakfast and lunch (skipping dinner) every day, combined with oats (for breakfast) or a salad (for lunch).

In terms of nutrition, it can't really be beat. Lots of protein, low fat, low calorie.

Some fish have mercury concerns but you can avoid that with good choices. And there are BPA risks with some cans.

Let's see if I live to tell the tale.

At the moment I am eating five cans a day.

Tomorrow, I will be eating a can of kippers, two cans of smoked oysters, a can of octopus in olive oil and a can of jumbo lump crab (with oats and salad).

Do or die or both.

novangel 02-19-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanG (Post 4947364)
I've googled it. I've looked for it here. And I have looked for it there. But so far, I am the only crazy son b@tch that seems to be trying this long term.

Yep, canned fish for breakfast and lunch (skipping dinner) every day, combined with oats (for breakfast) or a salad (for lunch).

In terms of nutrition, it can't really be beat. Lots of protein, low fat, low calorie.

Some fish have mercury concerns but you can avoid that with good choices. And there are BPA risks with some cans.

Let's see if I live to tell the tale.

At the moment I am eating five cans a day.

Tomorrow, I will be eating a can of kippers, two cans of smoked oysters, a can of octopus in olive oil and a can of jumbo lump crab (with oats and salad).

Do or die or both.

:lol: I'm sure you will make it...and succeed. My only concern would be is this sustainable long term?

chubbybunny29 02-19-2014 11:12 PM

Have you considered the amount of sodium & preservatives that might be in that much canned fish?

I don't really know about it all, just a thought - something you might want to check out with a 5 can a day consumption.

VioletDolphin83 02-20-2014 03:45 AM

Well if you like it and it's working I don't see why it would be a problem. Sounds interesting. What fish do you eat and in what ways do you eat it (like on a salad etc)? How do you find out which fish has mercury and which doesn't?

Pattience 02-20-2014 05:37 AM

Because of where the fish comes from and that should be noted on the packaging. And probably not buying fish from places like china where law enforcement about quality are not so stringent.

Pattience 02-20-2014 05:41 AM

Ian, are you trying to promote this approach to dieting?

krampus 02-20-2014 09:35 AM

I have to ask. Do your bodily secretions smell and taste of fish?

LilDazed 02-20-2014 10:01 AM

*shudder* I can't do canned meat. GRILLED fish on the other hand....mmmmmm.

jendiet 02-20-2014 10:14 AM

I don't know but my so eats lots of canned fish and he's very lean.

Serenity100 02-20-2014 10:35 AM

When I eat water-packed tuna every day for lunch I find good losses on the scale. Kirkland brand from Costco is the best for me as far as quality and taste. I mix in a little mayo and some Mann's Broccoli slaw. This is the only canned fish I like, but hubby who is naturally thin eats, mackerel, salmon, sardines and anchovies and loves it.

The only thought I have is that some time ago they said that tuna had mercury and pregnant women should not eat. I don't know if it is still true.

Olivia7906 02-20-2014 10:53 AM

If I could eat fish more than two consecutive days in a row I'd try it (as I like to try new things), however, for me, after two days of eating seafood, my body starts to reek. Yeah it's pretty bad for me :(

Radiojane 02-20-2014 10:57 AM

I think about you every time I open my pantry. No lie. If you feel good, keep doing it. People lived on canned meat for years. Go nuts.

Arctic Mama 02-20-2014 11:16 AM

I eat sardines daily for lunch when I'm maintaining and love it. Never get tired of it. I'm also eating a fair bit of frozen fish, too, and salmon we've caught (last night was the last filet in the freezer, so sad :( ).

I don't think you're crazy, though I know if I ate enough of it I could still gain weight. It's a great dietary staple, along with things like sea vegetables and nuts seafood is a nutrition powerhouse.

Arctic Mama 02-20-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krampus (Post 4947614)
I have to ask. Do your bodily secretions smell and taste of fish?

Haha! I'm not Ian but I can't say anyone has ever commented that I smell like canned fish. And I ate it daily while breastfeeding, but Holly never seemed to care. That said, she really likes sardines too, so maybe she's just acclimated herself to fishiness?

CherryPie99 02-20-2014 11:19 AM

Personally, the mercury would concern me eating that much.

Have you tried the tuna that comes in the pouches? I love those - takes away the slightly tinny taste of the canned.