Canned fish diet

You're on Page 5 of 5
Go to
  • Quote: Curious for those of you who do eat canned fish, do you cook it up? I'm curious to try canned or pouched salmon, as I think it would be a good backpacking food alternative to pouched chicken.
    I would suggest pouched salmon rather than canned for backpacking. Don't need to carry around a can opener and the pouches don't have excess moisture in them. There are also Ready-To-Eat Meal Kits from Bumble Bee and other brands. These might be worth looking into. Ready-To-Eat
  • Can vs. pouch for backpacking is something I could write a book about lol - basically, either are fine and pretty much equivalent in terms of weight in reality, especially if you have the pull-top can (and my swiss army knife has a can opener). I'm more curious about what kinds of meals I can make using canned/pouched fish, because aside from grilling up a fillet I don't have much experience with fish. I use canned/pouched chicken to make some pretty gourmet meals out in the bush!
  • Quote: I really don't eat much canned fish, other than albacore tune & skinless/boneless salmon. I can't stand oysters/clams (texture) and I'm afraid to try the more exotic canned items. I have issues with skin and bones. Yes, I'm rather picky. I did see something that caught my eye though, and I was wondering if anyone had tried them. They're canned tilapia filets in sauces from Bumble Bee. Anyone try these yet?

They come in these flavors:
    Curry Sauce
    Mango Chutney
    Teriyaki Sauce
    Tomato Basil

Thank you so much for posting this! I wasn't even aware these were out and will now be looking for them.
  • Quote: Thank kaplods. I'd be happy to post you a can or two (free of charge, of course, to a fellow 3FC-er) of the smiling fish cockles if you are interested in trying them! I know exactly what you mean about the "dry rattle". It is so weird, but so delish!

On smoked Oysters, I am in love with Ekone Oysters here in the US. $5.50 a can. But oh...my...goodness (I'd also post you one of those, if you'd like a try...they are that good).

I am unashamedly on two-cans-a-day of smoked oysters at the moment in addition to my other canned fish.

Tomorrow, I will be eating:

(with oats for breakfast) Ekone canned smoked oysters with lemon and pepper and Vital Choice canned Sardines

(with salad for lunch) Skipanon canned steelhead trout with East Point canned shrimp and Ekone canned smoked oysters.

Here is my stash:

Attachment 46036

I love how tidy your stash is Ian!

This is a very educational thread so thanks for sharing. I really like canned fish and had no idea of how much variety was available. Think I need to branch out a bit from my usual selections.
  • Vital Choice have just produced a canned wild sockeye salmon "bellies".

http://www.vitalchoice.com/shop/pc/v...idcategory=222

It's pricey. It's probably a fad. It's over 10 bucks a can. Am I going to try it?

F@ck yeah!
  • Dang I had salmon belly sushi for lunch today and it was uhmazinggg!
  • And I found these today at a supermarket. A new release by Wild Planet. I have only ever had white anchovies in Europe. Can't wait to try them.

http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Planet-An...es+wild+planet
  • Still eating 5-6 cans a day. Feeling great.
  • Yep, still on 35-42 cans of fish a week. Not dead yet.