Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #1  

Default Chickpeas.

So I got all excited about chickpeas awhile back.

I bought loads of cans of them... I made hummus (which was meh) and then I roasted them which was also... meh

Tonight I tossed them into a stirfry and I basically picked them out! This isn't like me... I don't normally not like a food, but man that is one strange texture. I was even more weirded out that my husband didn't mind them (he's the fussy one), and I really just couldn't do it. I honestly didn't feel quite right after eating because the texture to me was really not something I wanted to repeat.

It's weird because I like beans, etc...

Someone suggested to make falafel, but I am sceptical. Are the dried ones better than canned?

I want to like them so badly... lol
Carbzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

What didn't you like about roasted chickpeas? Was it the texture?

This is the recipe I always recommend for roasted chickpeas
http://plantpoweredkitchen.com/recip...ted-chickpeas/

Canned chickpeas tend to be firmer than those cooked from soaked. But honestly, if you don't like chickpeas, I wouldn't stress.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:39 PM   #3  

I thought they were going to be... Different

It's a texture issue... I feel like they are grainy or something. I also felt like they could never get crunchy enough; like they were soggy; so I tried cooking them longer (til nearly blackened) and I still wasnt happy. I thought they would have a "snap" to them.
Carbzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

No, chickpeas really won't have a snap to them, even roasted. They will still have some softness.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #5  
Less of a Better Me

I haven't made Falafel myself, but I do love to eat falafel. I was just wondering today if it would be hard to make. Coincidentally, earlier today I bookmarked this recipe for baked falafel using the dried garbanzos
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/T/150

Height: 5'9"

If you want to try hummus again, I use a recipe from Smitten Kitchen (I cut down the tahini to lower the calories) and it makes a very smooth creamy hummus. It takes a little more effort, but eliminates the grainy-ness of the chickpeas.

(can't post links yet, but just google "ethereally smooth hummus" )
thisisart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Thanks for posting the recipe, I adore hummus!!!!!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:02 PM   #8  

I have never had a grainy hummus with canned chickpeas. I do not use tahini- just some olive oil, lemon juice or wine vinegar and garlic or caramelized onions. The trick I was taught a while ago was to run the food processor or blender for much longer than you think- to actually walk away for a bit.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #9  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I used to eat a tub of hummus a day until I stalled out at 170lbs. Then I gave it the chop.

Worked for a bit. As I dropped into the 160s. But I have regained since then.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #10  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post
I have never had a grainy hummus with canned chickpeas. I do not use tahini- just some olive oil, lemon juice or wine vinegar and garlic or caramelized onions. The trick I was taught a while ago was to run the food processor or blender for much longer than you think- to actually walk away for a bit.
This! I originally used tahini and other plain no-sugar nut butters but to save calories/points and $$, I omitted it and still got a creamy hummus.

Caramelized onions is such a great idea and would add so much flavor to my favorite (fire-roasted) red pepper hummus. I do use roasted garlic in my hummus.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I have gotten very crispy roasted chickpeas by cooking, cooling, then cooking again. Twice baked makes it pretty crispy!

Pan seared or baked falafel is really easy. I even saw a variation using collard greens that looks fantastic, but you could do a classic recipe too.

I know you said the hummus came out grainy, but if you do figure out why (you may need a stronger food processor) and want to try something different, there are several dessert hummus recipes.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:28 AM   #12  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbzi View Post
So I got all excited about chickpeas awhile back.

I bought loads of cans of them... I made hummus (which was meh) and then I roasted them which was also... meh

Tonight I tossed them into a stirfry and I basically picked them out! This isn't like me... I don't normally not like a food, but man that is one strange texture. I was even more weirded out that my husband didn't mind them (he's the fussy one), and I really just couldn't do it. I honestly didn't feel quite right after eating because the texture to me was really not something I wanted to repeat.

It's weird because I like beans, etc...

Someone suggested to make falafel, but I am sceptical. Are the dried ones better than canned?

I want to like them so badly... lol
Yes felafel would be delicious and not so fattening as good hummus. Although they are deep fried. Home made ones are nothing like the packet ones. go and try them in a kebab shop first and see if you like them done quite properly before getting into all the work of making them.

The besets way to eat felafel is in a pita bread with salad and tzatiki.

Its hard to see how you could not like hummus. What was your recipe like? But it is a very high fat recipe food since its got lots of tahini and olive oil in it. Its also best with good bread such as turkish bread or pita.

I can't see what's so objectionable about the texture. Its not very unusual. I probably wouldn't like them in a stir fry. But i have made salads with them lately.

The indians eat them in a curry with bread for breakfast. And no doubt other curries at other times of day. But when i was in calcutta i ate them for breakfast too.

so in my salad, i put in 1/2 cup of chickpeas from a can
a chopped tomato
1 tbsp finely chopped onion
maybe a grated carrot
5 half walnuts broken up a bit or you could sunflower seeds or sesame seeds but not too many in either case
1-2 tsp olive oil
1-2 tsp red wine vinegar
black pepper
salt for taste. I recommend a small pinch.
garlic if you wish.

It makes about 2 cups so its a big lunch.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Two more dishes that I completely forgot about that I make pretty often are:
Chana Saag or Curried Chickpeas
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote