S/C/G: 297/182/155

Height: 5'8

Default how bad is diet soda?

what are the negative affects of diet soda? Specifically diet coke. Thanks
df180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Copy and paste your question into google, there's no limit to the answers you will get. I won't go through the medical reasons of why diet soda is bad for you. But I can relay you my own experience with it and quitting it.

I used to drink regular soda, Coke. I drank too much but I liked the fizziness. Then I went out to lunch with a friend and she ordered water and I said why not soda? And her answer kind of stuck with me - she said "I don't like to drink my calories." So it got me thinking and I switched to diet soda thinking that by eliminating the calories I was doing something healthy. What I didn't see coming was an addiction so strong that it made me angry that I had even put myself in that situation.

I decided to quit artificial sweeteners all together on a quest for health. This particular goal had nothing to do with weightloss, just overall nutrition. I eliminated the Equal I used in my coffee, gave up diet soft drinks, and gave up on foods like sugar-free jello. I'm not going to lie, at first it was hard. Drinking bitter coffee was like sipping on battery acid. That disgust towards coffee lasted for about 3months. I'd take a sip and say YUCK. But I kept sipping, determined to bend my tastebuds to my submission. Then one day, it just didn't bother me anymore. It did take a while but I did it and now even the slightest pinch of sugar in my coffee makes my tongue burn. It's remarkable. I still do enjoy a diet pepsi on special occassions like at a party where I'm not drinking alcohol or on a special dinner date.

So if it was so hard why did I push through the anguish and get through it? Because within a few days of quitting a remarkable change happened to me. A headache that I didn't even know I had started to lift. It was like a cobweb that was all over my brain just started to go away. I felt clearer headed, focused, and alert in a way I hadn't felt in years! So although my body was rebelling towards the bitter stuff, my mind was clear and that's the positive change I focused on to get me through the withdrawl.

I did switch to sparkling water and that helped calm my cravings for the fizziness.

Last edited by Palestrina; 09-15-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Copy and paste your question into google, there's no limit to the answers you will get. I won't go through the medical reasons of why diet soda is bad for you. But I can relay you my own experience with it and quitting it.

I used to drink regular soda, Coke. I drank too much but I liked the fizziness. Then I went out to lunch with a friend and she ordered water and I said why not soda? And her answer kind of stuck with me - she said "I don't like to drink my calories." So it got me thinking and I switched to diet soda thinking that by eliminating the calories I was doing something healthy. What I didn't see coming was an addiction so strong that it made me angry that I had even put myself in that situation.

I decided to quit artificial sweeteners all together on a quest for health. This particular goal had nothing to do with weightloss, just overall nutrition. I eliminated the Equal I used in my coffee, gave up diet soft drinks, and gave up on foods like sugar-free jello. I'm not going to lie, at first it was hard. Drinking bitter coffee was like sipping on battery acid. That disgust towards coffee lasted for about 3months. I'd take a sip and say YUCK. But I kept sipping, determined to bend my tastebuds to my submission. Then one day, it just didn't bother me anymore. It did take a while but I did it and now even the slightest pinch of sugar in my coffee makes my tongue burn. It's remarkable. I still do enjoy a diet pepsi on special occassions like at a party where I'm not drinking alcohol or on a special dinner date.

So if it was so hard why did I push through the anguish and get through it? Because within a few days of quitting a remarkable change happened to me. A headache that I didn't even know I had started to lift. It was like a cobweb that was all over my brain just started to go away. I felt clearer headed, focused, and alert in a way I hadn't felt in years! So although my body was rebelling towards the bitter stuff, my mind was clear and that's the positive change I focused on to get me through the withdrawl.

I did switch to sparkling water and that helped calm my cravings for the fizziness.
thanks you're so right! im going to try coffee and drink diet soda on special occasions.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 156/156/126

Height: 5' 2"

I stopped drinking diet soda altogether and don't miss it at all. However, I do use 2 measured tablespoons of low fat half & half in my coffee. This adds 1 carb and 25 calories to my diet.
Theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
I stopped drinking diet soda altogether and don't miss it at all. However, I do use 2 measured tablespoons of low fat half & half in my coffee. This adds 1 carb and 25 calories to my diet.

helpful tip, thank you
Old 09-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #6  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...diet-soda.html
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #7  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I find many articles lump all diet sodas into one category, but there are at least three kinds of sweeteners to choose from when it comes to them:

Aspartame
Sucralose
Stevia

The health risks involved with aspartame have long been debated. I'm guessing 95% of all diet sodas and likely 99% of diet fountain sodas are sweetened with it, including Diet Coke.

Some believe that sucralose is a healthier alternative, some think it's worse. Some simply have a taste preference of one over the other, and many don't know there's any difference at al.

Stevia is a natural sweetener derived from a plant. If I've read my history correctly, for years it was only approved as a supplement, and only recently has it been approved as a food additive/sweetener here in the states.

I personally stay away from aspartame, as I learned the hard way that it gives me excruciating migraines and other health issues once it has a chance to build up in my system. I have to read labels on everything, including juice, canned fruit, gum (even the kind that's made with sugar!), toothpaste, even medicine. It took me ages to figure out where my problems stemmed from so I'm thankful I finally learned to avoid it.

I do enjoy sodas made with either sucralose or stevia in moderation, but they're harder to find and tend to be more expensive. Coke does make a "Diet Coke with Splenda" (the brand name for sucralose) in the yellow label, which is a different formula than the Diet Coke that's more more well known and widely available. Diet Rite is also made with sucralose, as well as any diet variety of Hansen's soda. Zevia is a more expensive soda that's sweetened with stevia.

Some believe that they must cut out soda entirely in order to get healthier, others seem to do alright with it. I'd say it's different for every person and it'll take some time to figure out what's right for you.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #8  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

Height: 5'6"

We've switched to Stevia and Sucralose but we are tapering down on Splenda (sucralose) in Hansens and low carb-Monster. All things in moderation and in due time, not dismantling Rome overnight.

Aspartame gives me a wicked headache in quantity as it does for my husband as well. However Crystal Lite does their aspartame, it makes it undrinkable for both of us, even a small cup. I remember years ago buying a canister of Crystal Lite and having to take it to work to be consumed there by others with more tolerance.

For whatever reason we drink lots of iced tea (unsweetened for me) in the lower 48 but not so much up here. That is the best alternative for me for a refreshing and healthy drink.

Last edited by vintagecat; 09-15-2013 at 01:12 PM.
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've dieted and lived with and without artificial sweeteners and have experimented with allowing none, one, two, or all. Personally I've seen no difference in either weight loss or symptom issues with any of them. I've also researched the opinions and research both pro and con (and researched the credentials of the reasearchers).

I have decreased my diet soda consumption, but as much for financial reasons as anything else. The changes I've made and why

1. I rarely drink "brown" sodas. They're considered more harmful, especially for teeth. I forget the actual ingedient.

2. I use a straw (reduces the damage to tooth enamel). A lot is made about the "caustic" nature of diet soda, but many foods are as damaging or more so. Oranges and other citrus fruits, for example, especially juice are even worse for teeth than soda (chewable vitamin see is VERY bad). If I were to drink orange juice I would also use a straw. After I eat an orange, I rinse my mouth.

3. I dilute artificially sweetened beverages. I started with Crystal Light type mixes and used just a little more water each time. I now often use twice as much water and throw in a flavored tea overnight. Then I fill a large glass and add a few ounces of diet Sprite or diet Mountain Dew (or their store brand equivalents). A whole can can last me all day (rather than the 6 cans I was drinkig ten years ago).

4. I combine sweeteners whenever possible. Most sweeteners have a synergistic relationship with other sweeteners, meaning that in terms of sweetening power 1 + 1 often equals 3 and 1 + 1 +1 can equal 5. This means that if you combine sweeteners you can use less of each.

5. I take a folic acid supplement. Aspartame can contribute to folate deficiency. If you eat plenty of fruits and vegetables this isn't a problem. I do eat plenty of freggies, but my neurologist prescribed the folic acid supplement for my fibro. That it is extra insurance against aspartame is a bonus.

6. I add TONS of ice to my beverage. I like the temperature and it dilutes the sweetener, but slowly so it's less noticeable than diluting with more water (especially if I already diluted it).

7. Something new I'm trying - alternating my diluted, iced, tea/Crystal Light/water/soda beverages with plain water, glass for glass.

8. Something I WANT to try - is carbonating my own water and other beverages with a soda stream.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I found the soda stream works great and saves us tons of money on seltzer.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote