Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

Question Foods rich in iron?

I tried to donate blood last night only to be turned down yet again because my hemoglobin count was too low. In fact, this time it was so low they were required to direct me to a nurse to ask me a few questions about what I eat. I didn't have the guts to actually confess I am "dieting" and therefore eating a great deal less than a normal person. I am still eating balanced meals, eating a hefty amount of protein at at least 2 meals and taking a multi-vitamin that has 10 mg of iron in it so I'm a little lost as to why I would have low iron.

I am going to the doctor for more blood tests but in the meantime does anyone have any go-to foods or recipes that have a lot of iron in them? While dieting, I've stopped eating cereal (often enriched with iron) because it just makes me more hungry, I can't stomach seafood or beef or chicken livers, either and I know they have a lot of iron too. I do put blackstrap molasses in a lot of baking and drink kale daily in my fruit+veg breakfast smoothie and I love meat!

Any help/ideas/recipes would be great!!
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'd cook in a cast iron pan, eat a lot of leafy greens, eat beans, pumpkin seeds, etc.

Although it really sounds like you have an absorption problem. I've always been lucky in the iron department myself.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #3  

Well tea has a significant inhibitory effect on iron absorption so you may want to consider drinking it between meals instead of during. Also check how much vitamin c you are getting because vitamin c increases iron absorption so you could try adding more of that.
Kisigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/188/100

Height: 4'11"

I suggest trying to go back on the cereal. You can eat like a small serving of cereal (like less than 2oz) along with the other breakfast food you eat. I usually pair small bowl of cereal with fruit (usually berries), cottage cheese or yogurt, and jelly toast. Eggs are good sources of iron as well, just as long as it has the yolk in it. Yes, I know people usually eat just the whites, but having the yolks every so often is good, too. I usually have like 1 whole egg with 3 tbsp of egg whites and scramble them.
tiawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiawyn View Post
I suggest trying to go back on the cereal. You can eat like a small serving of cereal (like less than 2oz) along with the other breakfast food you eat. I usually pair small bowl of cereal with fruit (usually berries), cottage cheese or yogurt, and jelly toast. Eggs are good sources of iron as well, just as long as it has the yolk in it. Yes, I know people usually eat just the whites, but having the yolks every so often is good, too. I usually have like 1 whole egg with 3 tbsp of egg whites and scramble them.
Great ideas! Thanks! I am not one of those people that just eats egg whites. I really enjoy the whole egg experience and sometimes just have 2 hard boiled eggs, cheese and veggies for my lunch and I am stuffed. Good healthy fats and vitamins and minerals in those little powerhouses!
Old 03-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #6  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Cast-iron! That will help
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #7  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I used to eat spinach the week before I tried to give blood, it always worked for me.

I've been eating (well drinking) a baby spinach, almond milk, banana, wheat germ, handful of peanuts, smoothie for breakfast every morning, make me feel better.

Smoked oysters have iron, raisins, if you're taking a supplement I think chelated is recommended for absorption if that's your problem. When I was younger my doc prescribed a vitamin for iron deficient anemia, I try to get the nutrients from food now, spinach works the best for me.

you'll find what works for you, best of luck
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #8  

Thanks everyone! Got my blood test results and turns out I am dangerously low in ferritin (my doc said it was a 3 and I think 12 is the low end of normal) so I'll be taking iron supplements for a while and probably not donate blood for a bit. I do appreciate the suggestions though! I've already added bran flakes to my smoothies and yogurt!