3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Tortilla Pizza (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/277056-tortilla-pizza.html)

Bluejaybythesea 03-06-2013 02:25 AM

Tortilla Pizza

Hey guys.

So I made some tortilla pizzas tonight using low-carb tortillas, a portion of cheese and a whole bunch of veggies. It was mostly alright, I feel like it could had been great but some things went wrong.

Most of this had to do with the tortilla. It became kinda rubbery and the edges didn't brown, they burnt.

I pre-heated the oven to 475 and let the pizzas cook for 10 mins, until the cheese got a little gold on top. When the tortilla was just brown the toppings where not done. I am a pretty good cook but I'm really scratching my head over this one. never cooked a tortilla in the oven.

amandie 03-06-2013 02:48 AM

Hi! I love tortilla type of pizzas. I learned from experience that it is best to saute the veggies first (usually onions, bell peppers and baby spinach) because like what happened in your situation, the veggies do not get done and the tortilla gets burned. Also, the veggies taste better that way, lol. Usually I bake them at 400-425 for 15-20 minutes, just until the cheese turns a bit brown. I use regular whole wheat tortillas and the flatout wraps with no rubbery textures or anything like that so it may be the low-carb tortilla you are using? Edges do get hard which is normal.

My personal favorite for is BBQ sauce as the base instead of tomato sauce, shredded/diced chicken, sauteed baby spinach and red onions. Yum!!

Bluejaybythesea 03-06-2013 03:01 AM

That sounds really good. I am gonna try the low-carb tortilla again to keep the calories down and see if I mess with the temp and time if it makes it better. I didn't even think of sauteing the veggies first.

I am gonna do that next time.

bubblybarrister 03-06-2013 12:27 PM

Sometimes I make "pizza" quesadillas instead of tortilla pizzas because I have found that it is easier and quicker to get it done when the tortilla is folded and hangs out in my george foreman grill for a few mins. I think heating it from both sides really helps everything get done before the tortilla loses its texture.

Psychic 03-06-2013 01:27 PM

Definately pre-cook your veggies. I use multi-grain sandwich thins as mini pizza crusts.

If you like pizza with alfredo sauce, try this alternative. Cream cheese with ranch seasoning (found near popcorn). It works really well and tastes great.

I make pizza with the cream cheese sauce, spinach, mushrooms, chicken, and sometimes some turkey bacon bits. Each mini pizza is around 150 calories.

amandie 03-06-2013 08:16 PM

That sounds really good, Psychic! I will have to try that since I cannot have too much tomato-based stuff. :)

tommy 03-06-2013 10:18 PM

Did you put the tortilla w/ topping on a baking sheet? As noted above I precook the toppings (except cheese). I put the tortilla all by itself directly on the oven rack - that cooks it more evenly avoiding the burnt edges and soggy center- then add toppings and run under the broiler (just set on a piece of foil).

amandie 03-09-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychic (Post 4657505)
I make pizza with the cream cheese sauce, spinach, mushrooms, chicken, and sometimes some turkey bacon bits. Each mini pizza is around 150 calories.

Hey, so I made this sans mushrooms and regular bacon pieces instead of turkey since I didn't have any on hand and it was good!!! I added some grated parmesan cheese and black pepper to the cream cheese to make it taste more alfredo-ish. Thank you!

Skinnygirldreams 03-09-2013 11:34 PM

Have you tried making them on Pita bread? I usually take a half a pita bread (1 pocket is 100cals) and then slice that pocket open and use that crust. when I make them they usually are around 350 to 370 if i use 2 pockets instead of cutting them in half. my fav is spinach, garlic, chicken ( i buy that pre-cooked diced chicken), and roasted red peppers or mushrooms... some combo of those :) delicious. they only take about 8 minutes at 400 degrees so nice and quick. it's my go to if i am in a kind of hurry

Babybat 03-10-2013 12:04 AM

Thanks for the idea, it sounds good.

going2bskinny 03-19-2013 05:32 PM

I love to make mine with pesto as the base and then some mozzarella and tomato and broccoli I have done other veggies as well though and they all cook great and come out perfect but I only set the oven to 350 and cook them for about 20 mins or so don't really have to go that hot on a thin little tortilla. I don't saute my veggies and some are even frozen and still get done that way. So maybe its just the heat setting. Oh also I should add my tortillas are usually frozen as well because I only would have one rarely for a cheat meal and my tortillas would get moldy in the fridge so maybe that would help freeze your tortillas then they are there and ready to go when you make your pizzas.

Also with the pesto the tortilla comes out great and crunchy but using pizza sauce I've tried and it leaves the tortilla soggy then so if I use pizza sauce I put the cheese and veggies down first and then just spoon some sauce over the top

all the topping ideas in here are great sound really yummy. I love tortilla pizzas as my cheat meal I like to use the spinach flour wraps from trader joes but any work just as well for me. I've used ezekiel as well and jalapeno cheddar flavor ones and some other chile and onion flavored ones from trader joes all work the same for me.

I've made taco pizza and turkey pepperoni pizza just for some ideas that bbq chicken idea and the alfredo one and cream cheese with spinach ones sound really good I'll give those a try when I am eating carbs again lol

I like the spinach tortillas best because they are only 100 calories a piece and not too large.

The pesto pizza is my fave ever if ya wanna try that I get this sauce http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/04...05_500X500.jpg just from walmart or target and I think its the best tasting pesto sauce I've tried all kinds even made my own. And I was duplicating this pizza from trader joe http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-s7Sxph_EdP...0/pizzabox.JPG which is my fave pizza of all time :O and I think it tastes almost exact! And so easy to make just broccoli tomato and mozzarella with the pesto I use cherry tomatoes and just slice em in half its easier. :D