Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Default Suggestions for something high in protein, low in calories

I'm going to do a short fast, a day or two, and I need something that's going to be protein-rich but low in calories, or at least as low as I can find. If I could take a protein pill that would be perfect, but I don't think that's available. My goal for a day or two is to keep my calories as close to zero as possible while still getting enough protein. I still want to workout, but there's no sense in tearing down muscles if there's not enough protein in my system to rebuild them.

I don't really want to go into my reasons for this temporary fast, nor am I interested in alternatives, why it's supposedly a bad idea, etc. I'm just looking for good low-cal protein sources. Thanks.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #2  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

eggs!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #3  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

albacore/tuna in a can. chicken breast. nonfat greek yogurt.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #4  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

tuna in water shrimp!
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

A protein shake. That's going to be the simplest for the protein bang, without the fat load of most whole foods. A sugar free whey isolate is a good bet.

If calories aren't as much a concern, I agree that eggs are great.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #6  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
I'm going to do a short fast, a day or two, and I need something that's going to be protein-rich but low in calories, or at least as low as I can find. If I could take a protein pill that would be perfect, but I don't think that's available. My goal for a day or two is to keep my calories as close to zero as possible while still getting enough protein. I still want to workout, but there's no sense in tearing down muscles if there's not enough protein in my system to rebuild them.

I don't really want to go into my reasons for this temporary fast, nor am I interested in alternatives, why it's supposedly a bad idea, etc. I'm just looking for good low-cal protein sources. Thanks.
You realize that you can't keep your calories "close to zero" while still getting enough protein?

1g Protein = 4 Calories

That being said... Have you looked into a PSMF?

Last edited by TripSwitch; 11-28-2012 at 05:47 PM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
A protein shake. That's going to be the simplest for the protein bang, without the fat load of most whole foods. A sugar free whey isolate is a good bet.

If calories aren't as much a concern, I agree that eggs are great.
Although I know I can google it, got any interesting suggestions for a low-cal protein shake?
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #8  
Back with a story

They're all fairly low calorie when they're free of fillers. I use Jay Robb or Vitacost whey isolates. Calories are similar among them per scoop. They're not reduced calorie, just free from almost anything but protein which, as was already pointed out, has 4 calories per gram.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #9  

I say eggs, chicken breast, fish.
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #10  
Back with a story

And I feel like I must issue a caution - you can cause yourself great harm fasting on just lean protein and water for several days, especially if working out. Intermittently wont hurt anything, but pure protein is not nutritionally sufficient for the body and in fact very hard on your metabolism. You must have adequate fat intake with it. So for a low calorie post workout supplement, I recommend a protein isolate, if you're doing this more than once a day please go for a fattier meat option like eggs/tuna/sardines/ground beef/etc. It is absolutely worth the extra calories to get in the fat, since the alternative is your body shutting down.

Acute stress like heavy exercise or cold hastens so-called rabbit starvation, so the effects can be seen much more quickly than someone in a minimal movement survival situation where they may be consuming primarily lean protein. But such things can happen and at an alarming rate. Just be careful if you're intending this to be an actual unbroken fast and not intermittent

This is a decent blog on the subject:

http://backacrosstheline.blogspot.co...-syndrome.html

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 11-30-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #11  

i love oikos greek yogourt you can do ALOT with it and its full of protein
chaitea115 is offline   Reply With Quote