3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Hemp Protein Powder (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/269487-hemp-protein-powder.html)

SunnySide99 11-07-2012 11:50 AM

Hemp Protein Powder

Does anyone make hemp protein shakes? If so what do you use?

I've recently discovered this and I am really enjoying it and I love the added protein, fiber and amino acids compared to the whey protein powder I was taking previously. The grittiness took some time for me to get used to however.

The drink I usually make after lifting is 1 banana, a couple of tablespoons of plain natural yogurt, about a cup of blueberries (fresh or frozen), water (maybe about a cup) and 2 tablespoons of hemp protein powder.

Thanks for reading. :)

TripSwitch 11-28-2012 09:08 AM

I've tried it in the past... And yes, the grittiness was a bit much for me... But I'm planning on trying some different brands... I'm looking at Nutiva... they have one that has 15g of protein and 8g of fiber with only 9g of carbs... I thought I would mix it with some almond milk... My plan is to use it as part of a vegetarian PSMF to help me get a jumpstart down to my goal...

nelie 11-28-2012 11:29 AM

I prefer mixes but I don't really mind hemp protein powder. I like to use Vega which is a mix of protein powders.

TripSwitch 11-28-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelie (Post 4541417)
I prefer mixes but I don't really mind hemp protein powder. I like to use Vega which is a mix of protein powders.

I like the idea of mixes too... I've used Vega before too, which I liked... I heard they've changed it a bit to improve the flavor... Do you have any recommendations for Vega flavors? or ones that you really don't like?

nelie 11-28-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripSwitch (Post 4541454)
I like the idea of mixes too... I've used Vega before too, which I liked... I heard they've changed it a bit to improve the flavor... Do you have any recommendations for Vega flavors? or ones that you really don't like?

I'm not particularly picky but chocolate is my go-to flavor.

SunnySide99 11-30-2012 03:55 PM

Thanks for your replies! I'm still making the same protein shakes, but I throw in some flax seeds too.

TripSwitch - I use "Manitoba Harvest" and I found that brand has less grit compared to Nutiva. Or maybe I have just gotten use to the taste? I do like that there is not a lot of carbs in hemp protein as well.

nelie - I will check out Vega, as I never heard from that brand before.

juliana77 11-30-2012 10:16 PM

I have a chocolate hemp powder from Trader Joe's. It's good with banana, or a bit of peanut butter, and yogurt. For 120 cal it's 17g carbs (9 fiber)/8g protein

SunnySide99 12-05-2012 12:03 PM

That sounds really good Juliana. Never would have thought to add peanut butter. Thanks for the idea!

TripSwitch 12-11-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunnySide99 (Post 4548487)
That sounds really good Juliana. Never would have thought to add peanut butter. Thanks for the idea!

I add peanut butter all the time and it is good:) and maybe half a frozen banana with some grated organic dark chocolate... All for about 300 calories with lots of protein and lots of fiber and decent carbs... Yum!