Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #16  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Thanks kaplods! It doesn't sound too difficult, just time intensive. I may have to try this and finally put my crock pot to some use
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #17  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy Krissy View Post
Thanks kaplods! It doesn't sound too difficult, just time intensive. I may have to try this and finally put my crock pot to some use
There are faster ways to do it, such as heating the milk on the stove in a double boiler or on very low heat, and instead of waiting for the crock to cool, putting the crock in a sink with a few inches of cold water, or water and ice (so long as the water isn't deep enough to seep into your yogurt).

I do it my way so it involves very little time and effort on my part other than "waiting" and occasionally checking the temp.

It takes about three hours for the crock to heat to 190 and then about another three hours for it to cool to 115. Once you get the yogurt starter in, you just forget it until it's done.

If I had a digital thermometer with a cool-down alarm, I wouldn't have to do any checking, just would have to be in the house to hear the alarms.

The actual effort and attention part is less than 5 minutes of work total probably.

I like to make the yogurt on laundry days, so that when I get up to change the laundry, I peek at the thermometer. When I'm done folding a load, I peek at the thermometer...
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #18  

Height: 5'5"

On another thread, Kaplods mentioned that she blends plain Greek yogurt with sugar free pudding mix. I love that combination, particularly pistachio. Delicious. Low-cal. Super filling.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #19  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I read a post on here somewhere where someone (boy I'm sorry I can't remember where or who...I feel bad)

Basically she made her own "greek" yogurt, by draining regular yogurt, I think through a coffee filter or cheesecloth, that way she could let it get to the consistency that was best for her. I'll have to find that post and put a link here.

As always Kaplods has a great post, great instruction on making your own yogurt, I want to try it! Thanks

best to all
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote