Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Undenatured whey protein isolate

Made an amazing discovery this week... undenatured whey protein isolate.

Wow, this stuff really is amazing. It dissolves almost completely in water, and leaves no powdery or gritty texture, and the flavor is milder than other whey protein isolates.

If you buy it from a big-name company, you'll pay up to $30 a pound for this stuff, but if you buy it directly from cheesemakers you'll pay less than half that (and sometimes less than a third that).

It's made at a lower temp than other whey protein isolates and concentrates so (supposedly) it's a higher quality, more nutritious product.

I usually have a hard time eating breakfast, because I'm not usually hungry (and often am a bit nauseous) in the morning, but if I wait until I AM hungry, then I get TOO hungry and end up eating too much.

Whey protein shakes have always been a bit of a compromise for me, but they still were hard to drink (I had to sip them very, very slowly) because of the thick consistency (I had to use frozen fruit in the smoothies to mask the texture and to tone down the milk/whey flavor).

But this undenatured whey is amazing. I dissolve it in water and then add sweetener and flavoring (or a sugar free Crystal Light or Kool-Aid packet).

It tastes pretty much like Crystal Light with a tiny splash of milk in it (not milky enough to think "why is there milk in my Kool-Aid?").

I thought that because it would be "drinking my calories" that I wouldn't find the beverage filling, but it was absolutely perfect. I could tell I'd "eaten" something as my stomach neither felt empty nor queasy afterward, and it held me over, quite comfortably until lunch time.

It was light enough that it didn't aggravate my morning stomach and yet substantial enough that I wasn't hungry until lunchtime.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote