Healthier ways to satisfy a sweet tooth?

• What are your tips/tricks to satisfying your sweet tooth?

Sometimes I eat too quickly, so I find the most satisfying desserts are the ones that take me a while to eat. Does anyone have any good suggestions? I love chocolate.
  • I personally love the popscicle brand no sugar added fudge pops. you can have 2 for 80 calories. also, Blue bunny makes a line called sweet freedom and I love the ic cream bars! 70 calories. my favorite is the caramel vanilla or whatever. it' lightly dipped in chocolate on the top half and the ice cream part is caramel and vanilla. they look small but they're quiet thick.
    I also like the 100 calorie hostess packs sometimes. the chocolate ones, with the cream in the middle are good with 1/2 a glass of skim milk (so 140 calories all together)

another great dessert I like to make is sugar free angel good cake usually in the bakery section of grocery stores. it has 70 calories for a large slice. then put some sugar free strawberry preserves (smuckers 10 calories), some fresh sliced strawberries, and a squirt of fat free redi whip (10 calories).. 90 calories strawberry shortcake !
  • oh and if you like coffee iced coffe is great. it takes forever to finish. I make mine super choclately with waldns farm
    chocolate syrup 0 calorie. and 1 tsbp of Hershey's dark chocolate syrup, 50 calories. I also add torani sugar free vanilla syrup, and I use Starbucks vanilla coffee. brew coffee over ice, add 4 cups of ice to blender, add coffee and chocolate an a dash of salt, blend well an too with whipped cream. so good ! only 50 calories and it's very filling with all the ice.
  • Oddly... strawberries. I know it's a healthy and shouldn't be solving a sweet tooth snack... but it really it's my tooth where it counts. I love them and will occasionally sprinkle a little splenda on a bowl if I want something SUPER sweet.

Chocolate is tricky as Alyj89 said, they do have low cal fudge pops. Also, dark chocolate on occasion is good for you! (Surprising... I know...)

I like frozen fruit pops as well. I make my own. I'll juice a mixture (Kiwi/Strawberry is my favorites! Sometimes add Apple Juice 100% juice). and I just stick them in this little mold I have with Popsicle sticks and freeze them. They are about 30-40 calories depending on the fruit (sometimes more). But hit a spot, are delicious, and in this heat VERY perfect.
  • for a healthy treat melted dark chocolate (I use the Green & Black brand 85% and zap 2 squares in microwave for a few seconds) and then mix in some sliced strawberries...

banana ice cream... freeze a banana and then give it a whirl in a blender to make a soft serve like ice cream... you can flavor it up with extracts or those torani syrups.

I'm another coffee fan... even with a splash of flavored creamer it's still not too bad. I also like teas/iced tea..there's alot of flavors out there now including chocolate, vanilla, coconut...

protein shakes can also taste pretty good, there's one out called lean dessert that tastes good. mix in some ice to make it more like a milk shake.

for not so healthy but low calories I recently found these mini ice cream cones... they have 110-150 calories and they are good if you just want to get the taste without eating the big ones. Also tried Jell-o's mousse temptations... pretty good also for a chocolate fix.
  • Keep several cans of fruit canned in pear juice in the freezer. Drain and freeze or freeze the whole can.

If it hits? Thaw in hot water enough to slide out. Break up and dump in blender, whiz, enjoy pear sorbet. Eat the whole can even, you wouldn't be too horrible.

Less sugary too than sugar added sorbet -- and then it's sweet from just the fruit or just the fruit with juice depending on what you froze.

A.
  • I usually have the weight watchers chocolate covered raspberry noms mmm only 80 calories
  • THANK YOU for all the fantastic suggestions!! I will definitely be trying some of these... Especially the coffee drinks... Thanks!!!!!
  • Yep, definitely iced coffee or banana ice cream.
  • The banana ice cream trick is amazing. I like to blend in some spinach and peppermint extract, plus dark chocolate chunks for a very healthy mint-chocolate chip ice cream snack.