Is Sushi Healthy?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I love sushi and I'm wondering can I eat sushi and still lose weight? Any sushi lovers out there? Any advice?
  • It depends. What is your definition of Sushi?

I lived in Japan, and I'll tell you right now... it's quite difficult to find anything I consider to be Sushi, in America.

Sashimi is great for you! The American version with crunchies and mayo, not so much.

I lost 30 lbs in Japan eating plain Sashimi with wasabi and soy sauce; and veggies for lunch every day.
  • Well sushi has carbs....If you work out enough it wont effect you but carbs can slow down your weight loss.
  • I never heard of Sashimi. I"ll have to see if any restaurants around her serve that.
  • Sashimi is just straight up raw fish. No rice, no extras.
  • I never liked fish but I eat veggie sushi, usually with brown rice. I've never had sushi with mayo (sounds gross?) or crunchies. I usually buy it from Whole Foods these days.
  • The question "is sushi healthy?" is a bit like asking "are sandwiches healthy?"

It really depends on what's on the sandwhich/what's in the sushi, and it also depends on your current health and health goals.

I love sushi (and some sashimi), but I'm also very carb-sensitive. I use an exchange plan to count and control my calories and my carbs, so I can incorporate most of my favorite sushi into my plan.

Now my hubby only likes the tempura rolls (where the whole sushi roll has been deep-fried so that the rice becomes so creamy that its almost the texture of mashed potato). Those, definitely not so good.

There are a lot of online resources for the nutrition, calorie or exchange values of common sushi types. So before I go for sushi, I generally google "sushi diabetic exchanges" or "sushi nutrition information" and then take a few notes before going out for sushi. Then I decide what to order based on my notes.
  • I miss real Japanese food

I agree it depends on what is in it. You can do a lot worse than sushi.
  • Agh man I miss Japanese food too. ValRock you ate sashimi every day?! That's mega yens going on right there.

Sushi can totally be part of a healthy and balanced diet but I wouldn't say it's "healthy" in and of itself. Nigiri style sushi, which is just fish and seaweed stuck to the top of rice, is probably a better bet than the Philadelphia cream cheese rolls if you're looking to keep it simple.

Basically, sushi is fine, but figure somewhere between 50-100 calories for each piece you eat.
  • Quote: Agh man I miss Japanese food too. ValRock you ate sashimi every day?! That's mega yens going on right there.

Sushi can totally be part of a healthy and balanced diet but I wouldn't say it's "healthy" in and of itself. Nigiri style sushi, which is just fish and seaweed stuck to the top of rice, is probably a better bet than the Philadelphia cream cheese rolls if you're looking to keep it simple.

Basically, sushi is fine, but figure somewhere between 50-100 calories for each piece you eat.
    Cream cheese in sushi is sooooo wrong! I had never heard of it until moving to the US, so weird!
  • Quote: Agh man I miss Japanese food too. ValRock you ate sashimi every day?! That's mega yens going on right there.

Well... It was mostly veggies. But, the grocery store near my house sold pretty good sashimi packs for 500 Y and I could stretch them out for a couple days. They also had a go-round upstairs with 100Y Nigiri plates. My kids could do some major damage...but I regularly saw salarymen with stacks of empties higher than them. I wonder where they put it all?!

Cream cheese on it just freaks me out!!!

Oh man, I could seriously go for a big piece of sushi grade Ahi, right now! I had a slice at the Tsukiji Market, in Tokyo that literally blew my mind. *sigh*
  • They put cream cheese in sushi? I've never seen that or the tempura sushi. I guess I'm sheltered.
  • Quote: They put cream cheese in sushi? I've never seen that or the tempura sushi. I guess I'm sheltered.
    Around here they do!! And its eeeww!

I am from Australia where there are many Japanese immigrants so the Japanese food is very traditional. I have found most of the Japanese restaurants around here aren't even run by Japanese people.
  • I generally don't go to Japanese restaurants because they are pretty pricey. If I get sushi, it is either from Whole Foods or the local Korean market. They have a sushi chef on site at both places. I guess I went to one in California a long time ago though, we used to go for lunch at work. They'd have this cute bento lunches. That was a long time ago though.
  • OP, you might find this link helpful: http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/

I love sushi and sashimi, and have still had it here and there during my weight loss. If I get rolls I stick to the plainer ones (no extra sauces, nothing fried, etc.), and either ask for them to be made with less rice or - if I'm dining with someone who I know won't be embarrassed by it - I scrape some of the extra rice off.