Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 10:25 AM   #1  

Angry bakers breakfast cookies

These cookies are awesome!! They don't look like they would be very good but they are. Has anyone ordered anything from Chatilas Bakery? There products look delicious!
Old 03-20-2003, 03:13 PM   #2  

Default Homemade Bakers Breakfast Cookies

I've ordered them, but I know there is a way to create this wonderful cookie at home. It is the one thing that drives me into a tizzy - I love cookies!!!

I tried a posted recipe, but it wasn't even fit for the compost pile. There must be a way to do this
Old 03-24-2003, 09:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I just did an interview for a story on Bakers cookies for Womans World magazine...it is still in the editing process right now, but it will print soon. They interviewed me since I have been using them for a while.
I love them-not so much because of the taste-which is great, but because I am cutting back on refined carbs, and sugars-trying to eat more whole foods.
Aphil
Old 03-25-2003, 02:09 PM   #4  

Is there a web site for the bakers Cookies?
Nancy
Old 03-25-2003, 02:30 PM   #5  

www.bakersbreakfastcookie.com
Aphil
Old 03-26-2003, 08:57 AM   #6  

Default Homemade BBB

I Tried it! It worked out great. I had everything I needed at home - except the variation ingredients. So I came up with Peach Pecan & added 1-1/2 tsp nutmeg. They are not too too sweet but very hearty and good.

Everyone at the office is on diets & a group is going to attend a WW meeting next week. It'll be nice to have a group to diet with.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:58 PM   #7  

I can find these at Osco drug stores in my area (Kansas City). They are $1.50 each. Cheaper than the internet. Just thought I would let those who enjoy them know that.
Rebecca
Old 04-04-2003, 08:31 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

Interesting... these are what I used to eat for breakfast BEFORE I started my good eating plan, and gave them up, as I didn't feel the ingredients were all that great for the amount of calories! Of course, yes, they are better than regular cookies... but....

And yes... they are $1.50 (or sometimes $1.39) here in the Seattle area too.

Sue
Old 04-04-2003, 09:25 AM   #9  

I would have to say that each cookie varies in nutritional content and calories...the ones that are sweetened and flavored with higher amounts of pumpkin and banana puree, etc. are higher in nutrients than some of the others-each is different. Some are as low as 220 calories each, others around 300-you have to check the labels of each flavor for ingredients and nutrition.
Not only are they better than regular cookies, they are better than any old dinner roll, slice of white bread or pseudo wheat bread-(wheat bread that is not WHOLE wheat, just labeled wheat bread because it is brown)-or biscuit you could eat and count as a grain serving. They are also better than Slim-Fast products and half of the diet/nutrition bars out there...which are made up of sugar, or glycerine if they are low carb, a ton of chemicals, and vitamin powders. I am more of a "whole foods natural loving" type of person myself, so while I eat lower calorie, it is more important to me to be able to eat less processed foods and organic produce-if there are a zillion chemicals or 36 letter words on the label-I try to steer clear of them. I like labels where I can read the ingredients, and they are actually "real" ingredients. I swear some foods out there contain the same ingredients as my shampoo!
Since they are made of whole grains, they can be a perfect part of a balanced diet-just as eating any whole grain fiber rich cereal in your diet would be. Grains tend to be higher in calories no matter what than fruits and veggies...so it is best to compare grains to grains, rather than grains to other foods as far as caloric content. So-as far as comparing their calories to shredded what cereal, or Grape-Nuts-the calories are comparable-I could eat 3 apples for the calories in one, but it is all moderation.
I vote two thumbs up for Bakers...the only problem I can see with them, is someone eating them as most of their diet, and not balancing their diet with plenty of fruits, veggies, protein, and other nutritious foods...a lot of people get into a rut of eating only the few same foods all of the time-I went to college with a girl who lived on bananas, rice cakes, and Snackwell's cookies...aye, aye, aye...
The price on the internet for the cookies on the Bakers site INCLUDE shipping via UPS-when they used to have their dozen price, then added the shipping-they were $12 a dozen...I for one, have to get them direct-as we have no store around here that sells them.
Aphil

Last edited by aphil; 04-04-2003 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:22 PM   #10  

I made the blueberry ones and LOVE them. You get a lot of food in one cookie!!

Peace,
Paula
Closed Thread