Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-22-2012, 12:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/158/125

Height: 5'4

Default Healthy Baking substitutions

I am a new baker, but I love love love it. I think I might be obsessed. All I do lately is search for new recipes to try. I'm still in the middle of buying stuff for various recipes I find. I had a particular question though to all the bakers out there: I am interested in healthifying recipes I find. I know you can make healthy subsitutions and use alternative healthier products without compromising texture and taste too much. Trouble is, I'm not really sure what all the subs are.

What are some subs you do? Or what do you generally do to make your baked goods healthier?

I reduce sugar in everything I bake by less than 1/4 cup (depends on how much the recipe calls for, of course). I find most American baked goods too sweet as it is.

I recently also found out that you can sub applesauce for butter or oil?

What else?
sensualappeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #2  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I think it depends on how you define "healthify"...

For me "healthy" isn't just about lower fat or sugar, it's choosing healthier options for each. I use maple syrup instead of sugar in many recipes, you need less and maple is marginally better for you (obviously all sugars should be used in moderation).

For me, the biggest change in my baking has been the switch to sourdough in place of regular flour. The fermentation process of sourdough breaks down the wheat so it is far healthier.

But not all recipes can be made with sourdough or maple syrup. I am constantly trying new things and pushing the limits. So far my biggest success are some sourdough chocolate muffins - 18 regular muffins made with only 1/2 cup maple syrup but the kids are crazy for them.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #3  
Sarah

S/C/G: 172/ticker/125

Height: 5´4.5

Baking is my favorite hobby on the planet!!!

A couple oldie but goodie tricks.
- Sub oil for sugar free applecauce .
- If making a cake or cupcakes, mix all your dry ingediants together, and add 1 entire can of diet soda (coke or cheery for choc. or sprite for vanilla) and nothing else. it will come out perfect and fluffy!

I´m a teacher and bake for all my kids birthdays. This week we had 6!!! I made Cookies and Cream, Strawberry Cheesecake and Triple Chocolate Cupcakes!! All whole fat of course, and I´ve only eaten 1/2 of one!

I also think it is just fine to indulge one in a while, just limit the portion. Have a inch inch square brownie instead of 1/2 the pan!

Bake away sister!!
lovemydoggiesx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemydoggiesx2 View Post
Baking is my favorite hobby on the planet!!!

A couple oldie but goodie tricks.
- Sub oil for sugar free applecauce .
- If making a cake or cupcakes, mix all your dry ingediants together, and add 1 entire can of diet soda (coke or cheery for choc. or sprite for vanilla) and nothing else. it will come out perfect and fluffy!

I´m a teacher and bake for all my kids birthdays. This week we had 6!!! I made Cookies and Cream, Strawberry Cheesecake and Triple Chocolate Cupcakes!! All whole fat of course, and I´ve only eaten 1/2 of one!

I also think it is just fine to indulge one in a while, just limit the portion. Have a inch inch square brownie instead of 1/2 the pan!

Bake away sister!!
Awesome! So for the diet soda, you don't have to include any butter or anything else anymore? & for many cupcakes does a full can yield? 12 or 24? I usually bake per 12 cupcakes cause I don't have that many people to bake for.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladadog View Post
I think it depends on how you define "healthify"...

For me "healthy" isn't just about lower fat or sugar, it's choosing healthier options for each. I use maple syrup instead of sugar in many recipes, you need less and maple is marginally better for you (obviously all sugars should be used in moderation).

For me, the biggest change in my baking has been the switch to sourdough in place of regular flour. The fermentation process of sourdough breaks down the wheat so it is far healthier.

But not all recipes can be made with sourdough or maple syrup. I am constantly trying new things and pushing the limits. So far my biggest success are some sourdough chocolate muffins - 18 regular muffins made with only 1/2 cup maple syrup but the kids are crazy for them.
Would you mind posting a recipe?

Also, can I sub whole wheat flour for any regular all-purpose flour?
Old 03-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #6  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I always cut the amount of sugar in 1/2 and then subsitute it accordingly for a natural sweetener from there. So, for instance, if the recipe says 1 cup sugar that translate into:

0.5 cups Maple Syrup
3/4 of 0.5 cups Blue Agave (I eyeball it)
0.5 cups Honey

Normally, I substitute whole wheat flour cup for cup for white flour. But if we're trying to save money I do 50/50.

Sometimes if it's something I don't want too sweet (like Pancakes) I just mash up a rip banana instead of putting in any sweetener.

I use A LOT of cinnamon!

Frosting typically is made with cream cheese, butter, mashed rip banana and a smidgen of maple syrup.

In pies sometimes I skip the top crust and used thinly sliced almonds.

ETA: I should clarify. I don't do low fat at all (use whole milk and real better, for example). Rather I work on just eating whole wheat flour, no sugar, lots of fruit etc.

Last edited by runningfromfat; 03-22-2012 at 03:56 PM.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
I always cut the amount of sugar in 1/2 and then subsitute it accordingly for a natural sweetener from there. So, for instance, if the recipe says 1 cup sugar that translate into:

0.5 cups Maple Syrup
3/4 of 0.5 cups Blue Agave (I eyeball it)
0.5 cups Honey

Normally, I substitute whole wheat flour cup for cup for white flour. But if we're trying to save money I do 50/50.

Sometimes if it's something I don't want too sweet (like Pancakes) I just mash up a rip banana instead of putting in any sweetener.

I use A LOT of cinnamon!

Frosting typically is made with cream cheese, butter, mashed rip banana and a smidgen of maple syrup.

In pies sometimes I skip the top crust and used thinly sliced almonds.

ETA: I should clarify. I don't do low fat at all (use whole milk and real better, for example). Rather I work on just eating whole wheat flour, no sugar, lots of fruit etc.
Awesome tips, thanks. I'm not huge on low fat either. I'm not scared of fat, but I try to keep it to healthy fats. I use tons of cinnamon as well. Ever since I heard it boosts your metabolism, I've been adding it to almost everything haha.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #8  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I have a really good recipe for cookies that my son loved. He commented "glad it isn't that healthy crap" only to discover it was even MORE healthy. But... I have to go find it. Of course.

Just remember that sweets/treats are still carbs - even if you try to make them healthier.

And I'm a BIG proponent of keeping things natural and staying away from chemicals - giving up fat to add fake chemicals doesn't seem like a good switch to me.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #9  
Sarah

S/C/G: 172/ticker/125

Height: 5´4.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensualappeal View Post
Awesome! So for the diet soda, you don't have to include any butter or anything else anymore? & for many cupcakes does a full can yield? 12 or 24? I usually bake per 12 cupcakes cause I don't have that many people to bake for.
If you are using a store bought cake box it will make 24 cupcakes. When I open a bag, I just pour in 1/2 of it and use the rest for a later time. Yep, just add the soda or 1/2 a can and NOTHING else.

Also, instead of sugar, sometimes I put in a banana. I know it sounds strange, but it turns out really well.
lovemydoggiesx2 is offline   Reply With Quote