Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #1  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Default Weird Natural Peanut Butter Questions

I've found that when I stir natural peanut butter it gets way too runny for my taste, so I've started pouring off most of the oil when I open a new jar.

Does anyone else do this? Am I missing out on any health benefits of the peanut oil or is it just as well I'm cutting out some of the fat and calories?
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #2  
Sis

S/C/G: 306highest/281/265.5/180

Height: 5' 5"

I open the jar and take a long knife and stir it all together carefully, then I store it in the refridgerator. When its cold its pretty much the perfect consistancy. It also keeps it from separating again.
Sis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #3  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I pour off a little more than half of the oil and then stir it pretty solidly but i don't put in the fridge - i like it a smidge runnier so i can use a bit less. (I have it nearly every day and have to keep measuring it as I get a bit happy with it...) Love the Trader Joe's one.

(And, by the way Sirenity, you're doing GREAT!!)
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

The calories per tbsp are approximately the same, but the nutritional profile shifts slightly - you end up with a final product that is slightly higher in protein and carb and slightly lower in fat. Calorie wise, though, it's a wash if you use the same serving size (you'll just get fewer servings per jar, because the oil is removed).
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #5  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sis View Post
I open the jar and take a long knife and stir it all together carefully, then I store it in the refridgerator. When its cold its pretty much the perfect consistancy. It also keeps it from separating again.
Cool, I'll have to experiment with that. It seems every peanut butter I've tried is a little different in consistency. I typically scoop out my portion to eat with a sliced apple and don't actually spread it on anything. Keeping it dry reminds me of the filling used for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nationalparker View Post
I pour off a little more than half of the oil and then stir it pretty solidly but i don't put in the fridge - i like it a smidge runnier so i can use a bit less. (I have it nearly every day and have to keep measuring it as I get a bit happy with it...) Love the Trader Joe's one.

(And, by the way Sirenity, you're doing GREAT!!)
Thanks!

I've been trying different kinds and have settled on one that only lists peanuts as the sole ingredient. I've also liked one called Naturally More that had flax oil and seeds added to it. I'll have to check out what they have at Trader Joe's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
The calories per tbsp are approximately the same, but the nutritional profile shifts slightly - you end up with a final product that is slightly higher in protein and carb and slightly lower in fat. Calorie wise, though, it's a wash if you use the same serving size (you'll just get fewer servings per jar, because the oil is removed).
Ah, I see! That's exactly what I've been wondering about, thanks.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I stir it up and store in fridge.

Blender it with beans if you want to though. That can lower it some.

3/4 cup drained rinsed great northern beans
1/3 cup peanut butter
1-2 tbs honey (optional)

Whiz in blender and spread like you would otherwise.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:02 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I read some people store it upside down so the oil will be at bottom when you turn it over to open.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote