Homemade Granola Bars?

• I love granola bars as a quick, portable snack, but I bet they would be more healthy if I made them myself! Does anyone make their own granola bars or know any good recipes?
  • No, but I wish I knew how.
  • I haven't made these, but they look good!
    Low Fat Chewy Granola Bars with Pecans and Chocolate
  • Quote: I haven't made these, but they look good!
    Low Fat Chewy Granola Bars with Pecans and Chocolate
    OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!

That looks delicious.

Thanks for sharing. I wanna try to make that.
  • I haven't made any but I saw a lot of good recipes circling around pinterest. I haven't pinned any cause I'm not a HUGE fan of granola bcuz of its high calorie content but if I find something I will let u know
  • I make them all the time! Here is a recipe I created for my blog that is gluten free as well!

Ingredients:

1 cup Gluten Free corn flakes (I love this brand, regular corn flakes contain malt so they are NOT gluten free)
    1 cup pitted dates
    1/2 cup dried apples
    1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
    1/2 cup pecans
    1/3 cup agave nectar
    2 tablespoons honey
    2 tablespoons maple syrup
    2 tablespoons peanut butter (or other nut butter)
    1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F.

Place dates in a small bowl, add 1/4 cup hot water and allow to soak for 10 minutes, then drain. I did some apricots in this batch because I was a little short on dates
    n a food processor, combine all ingredients, pulsing until you have a consistent texture but with some pieces of date, apple and pecan still visible.

Press mixture into an 8x8 pan lined with parchment paper. If you don’t have an 8x8 pan you can use a larger pan but simply not fill the whole thing. The bars will not spread in the oven so it’s alright to leave some space.
    Bake 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Lift from the pan using parchment paper and allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting. I usually cut into 8-10 bars depending on thickness.

I put a few in a Ziploc bag in the cupboard for enjoying at home and wrap the rest tightly in plastic wrap so that I can throw one in my purse before I head out somewhere.
  • Interesting that this would come up. I just recently tried granola bars at home and I am thrilled with the result. I started with this recipe....

http://mywholefoodlife.com/2012/11/1...-granola-bars/

...and was happy with the result, AND my sons (ages 17 & 21) liked them, too! I don't need to be gluten-free, so I used regular oats. I also added in 1/4 cup of pepitas for some crunch. The consistency was a bit soft and they did fall apart a bit, but the flavor was awesome. I estimated a little over 100 cal. per bar.

SO....I thought the above recipe would be so versatile, with different fruit purees in place of pumpkin. I also wanted a crunchier/crisper texture. So I adapted that recipe and did this: I subbed banana for the pumpkin. I subbed honey for the maple syrup. I omitted all of the spices except for the cinnamon. I doubled the vanilla. I did 1/4 cup of semi-sweet mini choc chips in place of the pepitas. These came out to be 115ish calories.

For the crunchiness I wanted, I baked as stated in the recipe. After they were cool, I cut them into bars, put them on a baking rack (I used the rack I put cookies on to cool) and baked them for about 20 min longer at 350 degrees....sorta like you would a biscotti. They were perfect!! Only thing I would do differently next time would be to wrap each individually in saran or zip bag before storing them. I put them all in a Gladware container together and they softened up a bit. A friend suggested putting a piece of bread in with them to keep them crisp and I may try that, too.

One thing I did do differently is that I made both batches in a 9x13 pan.