3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Share your smoothie! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/254435-share-your-smoothie.html)

Brooklynn 03-07-2012 09:33 PM

My Atkins friendly low carb smoothy..... Half a cup of choc unsweetened almond mink half cup reg unsweetened almond milk a little bit of unsweetened cocoa powder a tad bit of cream 1 oz raspberries and a tspn of splenda and some ice. Add more splenda if your not counting carbs and like it sweeter.

mirax3 03-07-2012 09:42 PM

Share your smoothie!

I've been on a real smoothie kick lately and I am always looking for new ideas.

My current smoothie of choice is 1 banana, half a scoop of plant based vanilla protein powder, about 3/4 c almond milk, and some ice.
Simple but it tastes just like a banana milkshake to me!

What is you favorite smoothie?

Vladadog 03-08-2012 06:18 AM

Cup of homemade kefir, tablespoon of maple syrup, and a handful of whatever berries (rasp, straw, black, blue) I have in the freezer. I think I like rasp/blue smoothies the best but I love the smell when i open a bag of frozen strawberries - they smell like summertime and remind me of the warm sunny day when they were picked.

sontaikle 03-08-2012 08:52 AM

I've been on a PB2 kick lately. Here are my favorite smoothies:

1 banana
3tbsp PB2
1 Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt

1/2 cup strawberries
3tbsp PB2
1 Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt

Annnd there's been times when I wanted to up the protein (both of those have ~12-13g though) so I've added in some egg beaters.

hwertheim 03-09-2012 10:07 AM

I've been lurking for a while and getting all of your good ideas. Here is my current smoothie recipe.

I have developed a sort-of smoothie that really fills you up for about 60-90 calories, depending on what kind of milk you use. This is not a nutritional smoothie, but rather a treat that will make you feel like you are having a big dessert, but really you are just getting some milk and a few calories from the other ingredients.

You must use a regular sized food processor, not a blender, not a mini-chopper. It will NOT WORK in a regular blender. It might in a vita-mix or something like that, but I don't have a fancy blender.

You must also buy xanthan gum and guar gum powders. These are available at health food stores, and cost quite a bit, but will last you a long time since you use a tiny bit of each. Some people's digestive systems don't tolerate these, but most people are fine with them.

Detailed instructions:

Put approximately 1 cup to 1.5 cups of ice cubes in your food processor. Blend until a fine ice powder is reached. You don't want chunks of ice, but more snow-like texture.

Add 1/2 cup of milk. I use 2%, but if you wish, you can use skim.I have never tried this with alternative milks, but I know that it doesn't work well with water, as the milk is necessary to get the creamy texture. Again, process in FP until well mixed. You may need to use a rubber spatula to combine well.

Add a packet of crystal light, or if you want, 2/3 or so of a packet of sugar-free Jello powder, whichever flavor you like. The jello has more calories. I LOVE the pink lemonade, and orange jello. I also like the lemon lime Crystal light, and raspberry is ok too. I have not tried all flavors. Again, process in FP. Start it on a slow speed so that the powder doesn't go flying around in you FP and coat the top of the machine.

Note: If you want this to be really filling, use the Crystal light that has fiber in it, or add a tsp or so of fiber yourself. It will make you feel quite full. It can also give you a stomach ache, so watch how much fiber you can tolerate.

Once well blended, add 1 teaspoon xanthan gum and 1/4 teaspoon guar gum. Again, start your FP slowly so the powder doesn't go flying. Then process on high for 30 seconds or so. DO NOT OVERPROCESS or it will get a very weird texture.

Serve! I eat it in a frosted glass with a spoon. This makes two servings, or one really big serving. I keep the leftovers in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes, but it will degrade as the ice melts or if it freezes completely.

Variations with slightly higher calorie content:

Chocolate

Use four tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder instead of Crystal Light or Jello with sweetener (I like Splenda, or Stevia sometimes). Cocoa usually has between 15-20 calories per tablespoon, but it also has valuable anti-oxidants, so it is good for you, unlike the alternatives. I cut down on the ice when I do the cocoa version.

Coffee

Add instant coffee granules (I use decaf so I am not up all night!) and sweetener.

I am sure there are other variations, but these have been my most successful experiments to date! Sometimes I feel like a mad food scientist doing this.

SweetPeach3388 03-22-2012 10:20 AM

I use a mini-blender and I don't necessarily measure carefully, but my favorite smoothie consists of:

1/2c 0% plain greek yogurt
1/2c frozen blueberries
1 banana
1/2-3/4c orange juice

sensualappeal 03-22-2012 12:17 PM

My favorite one is:

2/3 frozen banana
1.5 tbsp instant coffee
1.5 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 scoop protein powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
2/3 cup almond breeze unsweetened vanilla

check a picture of this one on my blog, i recently posted this actually :)

sensualappeal 03-22-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetPeach3388 (Post 4263412)
I use a mini-blender and I don't necessarily measure carefully, but my favorite smoothie consists of:

1/2c 0% plain greek yogurt
1/2c frozen blueberries
1 banana
1/2-3/4c orange juice

and this sounds so good! nice smoothie

mammasita 03-23-2012 12:12 PM

This may sound weird, but its really REALLY good.

Orange smoothie
WW vanilla smoothie powder (Or any vanilla flavor protein powder or even vanilla extract)
1 cup crushed ice
1/2 cup water
1 - 2 frozen banana
1 cup diet orange soda

Orange Creamsicle smoothie, yum.

Princess of the KING 03-23-2012 04:58 PM

I'm on a PB2 kick lately too.

Banana-Strawberry-Peanut Butter Smoothie

1/2 Banana (I eat the other half)
3-5 Strawberries (Depending on size)
2 Tablespoons PB2
1 Scoop Vanilla Soy Protein
1 cup Almond Milk (I'm lactose intolerant other milks would work fine!)

This makes about 2 cups worth. I need to make it a bit smaller because I can never finish it!

berryblondeboys 03-23-2012 05:16 PM

I made smoothies a lot last summer and will start up again soon. I use homemade lowfat yogurt and frozen berries - that's it. I might add a bit of splenda for sweetener. Adding protein powder is a good idea too - I'll have to try that to boost the protein a bit.

jennybee 03-23-2012 05:36 PM

I make green smoothies - a banana, a handful of berries and a handful of whatever greens I have on hand, usually spinach. Mix it with a little bit of water and that's it! It always comes under 200 calories and fills me up really well.

KlassyKid 03-26-2012 01:47 PM

My go to smoothie is:

1 Banana
1 sup of fresh or frozen Strawberries
1 cup of unsweetened Almond Breeze
1 box of soft tofu

Put all ingredients in the blender and give it a whirl.

Mmmmm!

I do not add sweeteners of any kind as I don't like really sweet things.

shananigans 03-27-2012 12:49 PM

I kind of take an everything but the kitchen sink approach to smoothies. I don't measure things, but it always ends up tasty. Depending on what I have around a typical smoothie might contain:

1 Banana
1 fresh orange
handful or 2 of whatever frozen fruit I have in the freezer (typically strawberry, blueberry, mango, peach, pineapple)
~ 1 c plain soy yogurt (I like Wildwood or WholeSoy brand)
Hemp protein powder
Flax milk (or almond or soy or hemp milk) to desired consistency

I usually end up with 2 pint mason jars full plus a little left to chug while I'm getting ready to go. I like the mason jars because they're portable. Smoothies get me through long days at school and 12 hour clinicals at the hospital. Can be a real saver for afternoon hunger pangs and fuzzy brain!

3FCer344892 03-29-2012 02:19 AM

Here's our two favorites at the moment since we got a blender (LOVE my blender!).

2-4 frozen bananas + glass of water + A couple spoonfuls of hot chocolate powder.

2-4 frozen bananas + 2 glasses of water + 1 cup of frozen blueberries.

These are both REALLY delicious. They've become a staple for us, because we both have a big sugar tooth (especially near the end of the day), so we usually have one of these before/with/ or as dinner. Both of these "recipes" give us nearly two glasses each.

I've tried orange and carrot mixtures as I love orange carrot juice, but unfortunately our blender leaves them VERY pulpy. Usually I love pulp but this is way too much.