Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-06-2016, 08:19 PM   #1  

Default I hate to cook...

I am a very picky eater, don't like a lot of foods because of the texture or smell, for example I don't like mushy foods (i.e beans, bananas, etc) and I'm not a fan of seafood and I don't eat mushrooms or tomatoes.

It really limits a lot of meal plans because I don't like, many times, the main ingredients. Or they have nuts which I'm allergic to. Then when you add on that I don't like to cook (crazy for most women I know) it really makes it hard to find a good meal plan to lose weight.

How do I get around all that and lose the weight I want?

I've tried the smoothy thing and got bored fast, love chicken but again got bored and hated the cooking, like some raw veggies and fruits but that gets boring and bland.

Am I just nuts or is there a way to eat right without facing foods I hate or standing in the kitchen for hours each week?
indycat4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:52 PM   #2  
stop wishing, start doing

S/C/G: 215/185/155

Height: 5'7

you are not alone in hating to cook!! I know many people who feel this way, luckily I do not.
Something that can work in your favor would be a mainly raw diet, meaning raw veggies and fruits would be a large part of your diet. There is no cooking involved plus foods in their raw state are the most nutritious!

Also finding a few simple marinades for chicken would help with the boredom factor. One that I like is balsamic vinegar, honey and garlic. just whisk the ingredients together pour over chicken in a zip top bag and let it sit for at least and hour - overnight. From there you can bake it or grill it. YUM
xopeaceandlovexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #3  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

I am not a good cook, so you're not alone. I often say the only reason I have a kitchen is because it came with the house.

Two suggestions. One is to try out some of the "diet meals", such as Smart Ones, Lean Cuisine, etc. Some of these are good, some not so. I don't eat them all the time, but I do have one now and again, especially when I'm really busy, because they're quick and easy...just pop them in the oven or microwave and that's that.

The second is to experiment with salads, and try to ensure you include a protein source along with the salad. I favor tuna, chicken or baby shrimp, but there are other choices since you say you're not fond of seafood. Salads don't have to be boring. Indeed, they're often my go-to meal. Below are some of my favorites. Most of these are between 400-500 calories and could serve as a main meal for supper (or whenever you eat your main meal).

Chicken Ceasar: Made with the usual romaine lettuce. I use a no-fat/low-fat Ceasar dressing (Renee's) and I skip the bacon bits. I include diced chicken and I often include some salad shrimp (not sure if you like shrimp). I usually also chop up a hard-boiled egg and mix it in with the salad. Yummy!

Spinach Salad with Chicken: Baby spinach, sliced strawberries, blueberries, diced chicken, sliced apples and a sprinkling of blue cheese, all tossed with Renee's Pear and Blue Cheese dressing (you don't need much dressing since baby spinach coats well with just a bit).

Spring Mix Salad with Tuna: I use light tuna mixed with no-calorie (Walden Farms) mayo, but you could substitute chicken if you don't like tuna. I add the tuna mix to the spring mix, along with avocado, tomato (you could substitute cucumber), mandarin orange slices and a few dried cranberries. I then toss with a low calorie Italian dressing. I note that the tuna/avocado and mandarins add a fair bit of moisture to the spring mix, so this salad needs very little dressing.

Waldorf Salad with Chicken: Any type of lettuce, mixed with celery, apples, cranberries, walnuts (you could substitute something else given your nut allergy), a sprinkling of blue cheese, diced chicken, and tomatoes (again you could substitute), all tossed with a low calorie balsamic dressing.

The one thing about most of these salads is that they include a bit of fruit, which adds to the flavor and satisfies my sweet tooth! None of them takes more than 5 or 10 minutes to put together, so they're quick and easy.
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:38 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

It sounds like you need to get seriously hungry.

Eat less.

When you do that, your tastes will change and you will start to enjoy foods out of hunger.

And new tastes will begin.

Last edited by IanG; 03-22-2016 at 08:41 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:35 PM   #5  

I love to cook, but when I do, I can't abstain from not eating anything... that's a real challenge for me...
Cristyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:50 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 470 / 430 / 150

Height: 5'2"

When you do cook, make big batches and freeze what you don't eat. That way, you can get more food per cooking session. Also, try supplementing some meals with prepackaged entrees. Cut cooking from your schedule when you can--you don't need to make a big breakfast when a bowl of cereal and a piece of fruit will do!
RubySnacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:22 PM   #7  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I use a slow cooker at least once a week, and freeze my leftovers. Prep for the slow cooker is ridiculously easy, and takes very little time and I can get 4 or more meals from one batch of cooking. I also make a big pot of rice once a week that I use with other ingredients to make quick meals. Breakfasts are always quick- a piece of fruit, oatmeal (old fashioned oatmeal only takes 2-1/2 minutes in the microwave to cook), or a protein shake.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:31 PM   #8  
♡ Desire2B ♡

S/C/G: 206ish - mini goal 195

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubySnacks View Post
When you do cook, make big batches and freeze what you don't eat. That way, you can get more food per cooking session. Also, try supplementing some meals with prepackaged entrees. Cut cooking from your schedule when you can--you don't need to make a big breakfast when a bowl of cereal and a piece of fruit will do!
Excellent advice, RubySnacks and EagleRiverDee.
I don't do well at cooking. Bad attention span.
I'm eating produce, eggs and protein supplements
mostly. My hubby bbqs. Then I get Turkey dogs
or burgers.

Last edited by Desire2b; 09-14-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Desire2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:53 PM   #9  
Rainnbow Baby

I hate to cook, i think is is so complex, and i am lazy people.
doyoumissmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:53 AM   #10  

You always can do something simple... Like Tomato Salad
booo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:31 PM   #11  

I am with you! It is really awful, especially if you have no time for this.
MerellBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:32 PM   #12  

In the meanwhile, check some blogs where you may find quick and helpful recipes and that one that are EASILY prepared in a pandemic. Also check if you add some supplements in your daily routine of food diet too: https://mangoclinic.com/top-30-fanta...-the-pandemic/ It can bring food/cooking anxiety down too. In this pandemic, I learnt cooking. Thank god. Something productive!
iopsydoc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:11 PM   #13  

More easy to go sowhere and make an order) me too
EllenCox is offline   Reply With Quote