Foods You've Discovered That You Never Thought You'd Eat

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • As I was packing my lunch I realized that what I packed today is a LOT different than what I packed 4 months ago.

One food that I never thought about eating before I absolutely love now...tofu noodles! They are flavorless, just like pasta, have the texture of al dente, and are only 20 calories per serving! I love them for bulking up soups or just having them in lieu of pasta.

What food items do you eat now that you had never thought about before?
  • I've never even heard of tofu noodles before! But I'll check them out now.

I never thought I could actually eat salad. I used to eat just plain lettuce on its own, but I thought mixing up different ingredients with the lettuce was gross. Now I'm used to it.
  • I have become quite the fan of cottage cheese! - I used to only have cottage cheese with peaches, but now I've learned all sorts of new things to do with it, and it is VERY yummy & fullla protein and not bad for calorie counting @ 80 calories for 1/2 cup (fat free version).

My favorite thing is to eat it as a DESSERT with a sprinkle of brown sugar & some cinnamon! YUMMMMM!!!!!
  • For me it's mostly raw foods that I never touched when given the option between them and processed foods. Like you, my "lunchbox" is completely different. I find almonds (which I previously had no affinity for), are my go-to snack that I eat quite frequently. The other food I seriously HEART? Bob's Red Mill Muesli - great in the morning with some 1% milk if I am missing my carbs, or folded into some nonfat yogurt to bulk it up.
  • Avocado! The color, the texture all mashed up in guacamole, ewe I always steered clear of it, yanno yucka & all because it looks like poo!
    But now, I eat straight up avocado to dip my veggies in or I slice avocado for sandwiches, yup now I lurve me the creamy taste of avocado, who the he- double hockey sticks woulda thunk it tastes good!
  • PreciousMissy, tofu noodles sound interesting, and I definitely like that calorie count. Where do you get them, or do you make them yourself?

For me, it's plain Greek yogurt and beans. I once tried plain yogurt, and thought it was nasty, but I eat plain Greek yogurt mixed with frozen fruit, on burritos/fajitas, and even make a creamy, wonderful pasta sauce with it. I adore the stuff, and go through 3-4 17 oz containers a month.

With beans, I used to always roll my eyes when my mom would make a pot of beans. I felt, "great, a boring meal." Sometimes they'd be plain, sometimes they'd have little pieces of sausage in it. Not my thing. Now that I make beans, they're good. I use seasoning, have it with rice, or make burritos with it, or mix it with spinach, peppers, and other veggies. It's very good. My husband will sometimes make bean patties, which I love. <3
  • Brussels sprouts! I adore them! I roast them with EVOO and S&P! Heaven! I also make a maple balsamic glaze for them - delish!

I've also discovered that red, orange and yellow bell peppers do not upset my stomach like green bell peppers do. Who knew! They have become my favorite hummus- and tzaziki-dipping snack!

I'm interested in hearing more about tofu noodles. There is an asian market close to me but the packaging of most food items is not in english. I'll have to ask someone to help me find them.
  • Asparagus, quinoa, chia seeds, raw veggies

I would never eat veggies unless they were overcooked. Now I won't eat them unless they are raw or cooked slightly.

I put chia seeds in my green monster smoothies (chia seeds, almond milk, baby spinach, sunflower seed butter, banana and ice all mixed in the blender).
  • Quote: As I was packing my lunch I realized that what I packed today is a LOT different than what I packed 4 months ago.

One food that I never thought about eating before I absolutely love now...tofu noodles! They are flavorless, just like pasta, have the texture of al dente, and are only 20 calories per serving! I love them for bulking up soups or just having them in lieu of pasta.

What food items do you eat now that you had never thought about before?
    Where do they sell tofu noodles?
  • This is the brand most often found
    http://www.house-foods.com/default.aspx
  • Yogurt. I'd tried eating it numerous times before but found that I simply couldn't stand the taste. I finally found a kind that I like though - Dannon Light & Fit Vanilla - and I find myself eating it fairly frequently now.
  • Tilapia, I am not a fish/seafood eater. There are a few select things I will eat but I'm a big Tilapia fan now.

I'm definitely going to look into tofu noodles and I think I'll try the cottage cheese dessert. I ate tons of cottage cheese while I was pregnant with my youngest. I had cravings for everything healthy while I was pregnant with her. Unfortunately, it went away when she was born.
  • Beets and brussels sprouts -so delish they are like dessert to me. Brown rice, quinoa, so nutty and full of flavor - white rice/potatoes are bland and boring in comparison. Also kale in salad and/or soup so hearty and wonderful. Also red cabbage, raw w/ a splash of EVOO, balsamic and S&P...crazy good
  • Quote: Avocado! The color, the texture all mashed up in guacamole, ewe I always steered clear of it, yanno yucka & all because it looks like poo!
    This is soooo me too! I always felt like guacamole looked like someone put Kermit the Frog in a blender! LOL! I just made my first batch of guac this past Sunday for SuperBowl and OMG! My new fave food. Seriously. I've made 3 more batches since then. My whole fam is in love with it! I'm so glad I decided to take a chance on this most perfect food!
  • Tofu noodles are going on my grocery list for this weekend. 20 calories a serving??!! That's crazy talk. LOL