Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/160/130

Height: 5'2"

Default Lunch ideas

I am looking for lunch ideas. I have no problem coming up with ideas for breakfast and dinner, but I struggle when it comes to lunch. Any suggestions?
Alexah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

The thing I love about lunch is you can eat breakfast and dinner food too! I love having leftovers from the day before so I only have to cook once for two meals. I also have been having pita pockets recently, using high fiber pita, a protein and lots of veggies and herbs.
spetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 238/223/130

Height: 5'4"

I do a lot of leftovers, and I use bento boxes - A) they're so cute, and B) its a great way to do portion control. There are also TONS of websites dedicated to Bentos or laptop lunches with some great recipes. A google search will turn up thousands of websites.
eyre13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetty View Post
I also have been having pita pockets recently, using high fiber pita, a protein and lots of veggies and herbs.
I used to buy this one brand of pita pockets that weren't very good. It was disappointing because I wanted to like them but they were thin and dry. Then I discovered another brand, and they were the exact opposite. So good. I usually fill them with red onion, garlic, chickpeas, and veggies. Leftovers are a good idea as well. I'm really trying not to be wasteful with food like I've been in the past, and most recipes make 2-4 servings anyway. Great ideas. Thanks
Old 08-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #5  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

I make big batches of soup--loads of veggies, usually chicken, and beans or a grain--and freeze them in the individual plastic containers. Every day I pull one out and nuke it at work. Instant healthy, delicious and filling lunch! I've been doing it for 4 years now and love it--it takes all the stress and worrying out of lunch at work.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietVet View Post
I make big batches of soup--loads of veggies, usually chicken, and beans or a grain--and freeze them in the individual plastic containers. Every day I pull one out and nuke it at work. Instant healthy, delicious and filling lunch! I've been doing it for 4 years now and love it--it takes all the stress and worrying out of lunch at work.
I do the same thing. There's nothing worse than scrambling to pack meals at night. I like to make my soup on weekends so I can just grab the 1 cup frozen portions during the week.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietVet View Post
Do you need anything else or do you find the soup fills you up?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 235/233/130

Healthy choice steamers, there soooooo yummy, low cal, filling, and easy.
kb11311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:30 AM   #9  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexah View Post
Do you need anything else or do you find the soup fills you up?
Alexah, I make sure my soups are really hearty. Always lots of veggies and a good amount of chicken, plus the bean or grain. I make sure that each portion fills one of the 2 1/2 cup containers (often I add more water at work when I microwave) and I try to make them come in around 300 calories. That's usually plenty for me for lunch time--though I do need a snack around 4 or 5. If I'm feeling energetic I'll throw together a side salad, but that's really the exception. My goal is tasty, convenient soup with plenty of fiber, protein and bulk. It usually works.

(And I have a whole bunch of variations in my rotation: 'Mexican' chicken and black bean with chipotle and corn; chicken, white bean and swiss chard; 'African' chicken, barley and sweet potato with peanut butter-- and etc. Many chickens lose their breasts to my lunches, but it keeps me happy and nourished. If I start to feel bad about all the chickens, I'll make beef, mushroom and barley, or, gasp, a vegetarian lentil--sometimes with some rice.)
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I always have one cup of soup for lunch, no matter what kind it is, but I usually make pretty hearty kinds. Here are some of my favorites.

I do eat a fruit at work (snack), my soup at work (lunch), then vegetables/hummus (snack) at work, so that's why I can eat a small portion.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #11  
diamondgeog

I am now having Kashi frozen meals. I googled healthy frozen meals and Kashi came up near the top on every list. The Mayan bake, southwestern chicken, lemongrass chicken, and a couple more I have tried and really liked. In fact I haven't had a bad one. And they are about as chocked full of good stuff with a minimum of negative stuff that you can find in a frozen meal. Not saying a good meal made from leftovers can compare. But VERY good stuff. If you haven't tried, give them a try.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #12  
(slim) shady

S/C/G: 193/188/155

My newest discovery is single servings of Hummus from Costco (little prepackaged containers of Hummus, perfect for snack & on the go) with baby carrots. The Hummus brand I have from Costco is Hannah and is only 4 WW points (old plan) per container. With 3 oz serving size of baby carrots which is 0 WW (old plan). Any hummus would do if you can calculate the calories/points (if you do that sort of thing) & then measure out and put in a small tupperware.

Its not a HUGE meal so supplement with more carrots, sliced bell peppers, bring a banana or some other fruit along or a granola bar on the side. It's easy and for me the hummus is really decadent, I really feel like I'm indulging and the carrots have great crunch & sweetness. I love it! Drink a big glass or bottle of water after lunch to help with feeling full.
steinanwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #13  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Pasta salad! This is my favourite ever: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/v...st-pasta-salad
(I adjust the oil to 1 tsp per serving though)

I also like to bring wraps (pita) with veggies, sometimes guacamole (homemade), turkey breast or leftover pulled pork or salsa chicken (I keep both frozen in muffin tins so it thaws quickly and is portioned)

Another quick salad I throw together some mornings is diced tomatoes and canned green beans with a oil & white wine vinegar dressing. I usually bring it as a side and have a wrap or other sandwich with it.

I have a lot of leftovers frozen in the freezer. I buy throw-away tin containers in different sizes so I have either bigger portions for dinner or small (muffin sized) for lunch. Then I can adjust the amount quickly.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote